All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Feminine Chronically Ill Women - Clothes, Accessories, Make-up, and Body Tips
      #342709 - 03/01/09 11:27 AM
BarbaraRyan

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Sicklerville, NJ

I though some of the ladies in the forums might like this article I wrote. ~BarbRyan

Anyone can be affected by chronic illness, including the most feminine woman. Living with a chronic illness often means having limited amounts of money, energy, and resources. But it does not mean having to forgo being feminine or sacrificing it. Femininity can be incorporated easily into your clothes, accessories, make-up, and body. Just keep in mind these keywords: comfort, ease, simplicity, and flare. The smallest and easiest additions can worth with your unique situation and make a world of difference.

Clothes - Comfort comes first here. Sports bras tend to be more forgiving and supportive than regular underwire bras. In addition, "granny panties" tend to be the more than thongs. Wear bottoms that are comfy and make you feel good. I prefer knee-length skirts over jeans or pants, as they don't put pressure on my stomach. You can dress them up or down depending on your shirt. Soft, fitted t-shirts make a skirts instantly casual, fancy blouses do the opposite. Anything plain or boring can be make spectacular with a little flare and some details, such as appliqués or trim.

Accessories - They are the additional touches that make up an outfit. They can add a dose of flare. With every outfit, I always wear earrings and a necklace. They make me feel "dressed." I recommend anything that is easy for you to put on. There are so many kinds of accessories out there, that any woman can find something she likes and can wear. As far as shoes go, I tend to ware basic, flat shoes that match a number of outfits, such as maryjanes. Heels are out of the question. A number of cute, orthopedic shoes and sandals are now available. Handbags are crucial the chronically ill woman. When choosing a bag, I look for something that can be worn cross-body, taking weight off my shoulders. It has to be big enough for my meds, make-up, and essentials (like wallet, keys, and cell), along with a book or latest crochet/knit project (good diversions while waiting at a doctor's office). Also, I carry a pad of paper to make notes or lists as needed. I keep my meds in a small make-up container, so I can find them easily and keep them organized.

Make-up - I take care of my skin, using a simple regimen. I wash my face once a day, put on an acne cream, and then a moisturizer with sun block. I like Aveeno's sensitive skin facial moisturizer. If I am going to work, I usually wear light brown eye shadow, mascara, and some lip stain with lip gloss over it. It's easy to maintain during the day and needs minimal touch ups. For errands or flare-up days, I just use my favorite colored lip gloss and no other make-up. My make-up favorites include: Great Lash mascara, Bigalow lip glosses, especially their Rose Salve, and lip stains from The Body Shop. I also like quick dry nail polish. I can put on 2 coats when I'm resting with a movie. Pretty, colored nails can brighten up a bad day.

Body - I like to have a selection of perfumes and body sprays. Scent has a really powerful effect on the mind and body, so chronically ill women can choose a scent to cheer them up or relax them. I like The Body Shop's scents. They are light, without getting lost or fading away. I like to partner my perfumes with body wash and body spray to enhance the smell. For moisturizers, I like to use simple, scent-free ones like Aveeno. I also use The Body Shop's almond oil hand moisturizer and cleanser.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Feminine Chronically Ill Women - Clothes, Accessories, Make-up, and Body Tips new
      #342714 - 03/01/09 01:41 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I liked your article but....

Makeup sometimes triggers an attack for me. I only wear eyeliner most days but if I try using anything else, sometimes it triggers bad cramping.

Likewise, scents often trigger attacks for me.I can not handle strong perfume and sometimes not even my own.They will immediately send me running for the bathroom or make me feel ill.

Does anyone else have these problems?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Edited by dragonfly (03/01/09 01:42 PM)

Re: Feminine Chronically Ill Women - Clothes, Accessories, Make-up, and Body Tips new
      #342715 - 03/01/09 01:53 PM
BarbaraRyan

Quote:

I liked your article but....

Makeup sometimes triggers an attack for me. I only wear eyeliner most days but if I try using anything else, sometimes it triggers bad cramping.

Likewise, scents often trigger attacks for me.I can not handle strong perfume and sometimes not even my own.They will immediately send me running for the bathroom or make me feel ill.

Does anyone else have these problems?

Each womyn can alter the tips as she needs to. I don't want to cause anyone to have a flare-up. Have you tried herbal scents like peppermint or lavender (both of these have positive effects for most with IBS)?

#342717 - 03/01/09 04:15 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi,

I love your article!!! Just because we may feel like crap at times, it doesn't mean we have to look the part. Right?

Lynn

#342722 - 03/01/09 06:58 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

What you have said is so true and I really try to live that lifestyle (except on Saturdays when I can get away with being a slug ) The only drawback - and I say it "tongue-in-cheek" is that we look so darn good no one believes we have anything wrong with us!!
It is so hard for the "average person" to understand any chronic illness - to know you can't always plan events or trips or even tomorrow. But, thanks for reminding me to put my best face forward no matter how I may feel inside!
Also, I have found the mineral make-up - especially Bare Escentuals and Merle Norman brands to be awesome - can't make it without them and no problems with my sensitive skin.
However, I'm learning to be more selective in what I put on my skin - just gotta learn to live with the wrinkles and sagging - I do not want to put extensive chemicals on my skin that is, in turn, absorbed in my body. Example: I will not use anything with green tea in it due to the caffeine which sends my heart racing. The guy in the HFS said one lady ended up in the ER after using a product w/ green tea because it affects her similarly....
So, go forth - in all your glory!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#342786 - 03/03/09 04:44 PM
BarbaraRyan

Quote:

Hi,

I love your article!!! Just because we may feel like crap at times, it doesn't mean we have to look the part. Right?
Lynn

Exactly!

#342787 - 03/03/09 04:48 PM
BarbaraRyan

Quote:

What you have said is so true and I really try to live that lifestyle (except on Saturdays when I can get away with being a slug ) The only drawback - and I say it "tongue-in-cheek" is that we look so darn good no one believes we have anything wrong with us!!
It is so hard for the "average person" to understand any chronic illness - to know you can't always plan events or trips or even tomorrow. But, thanks for reminding me to put my best face forward no matter how I may feel inside!
Also, I have found the mineral make-up - especially Bare Escentuals and Merle Norman brands to be awesome - can't make it without them and no problems with my sensitive skin.
However, I'm learning to be more selective in what I put on my skin - just gotta learn to live with the wrinkles and sagging - I do not want to put extensive chemicals on my skin that is, in turn, absorbed in my body. Example: I will not use anything with green tea in it due to the caffeine which sends my heart racing. The guy in the HFS said one lady ended up in the ER after using a product w/ green tea because it affects her similarly....
So, go forth - in all your glory!

That's the one draw back of having an Invisible Chronic Illness - looking too good to be sick. And then having others believe you're fine and not understanding where you're coming from.

Thanks for the suggestions too. I've heard really good things about mineral make-up, but I haven't tried it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 396 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1879

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review