All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
moving towards "exposure therapy" for my phobia
      #342317 - 02/18/09 08:36 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

After a very unhappy therapy session today, I'm starting to psych myself up to self-induce vomiting to finally face my fears. I've been working on this for one year now in therapy - and have made progress in many ways, but the prospect of throwing up is still this extremely charged for me. Since it has happened about once every 4-10 years to me in my adult life, I've built it up to be this looming danger that could strike any time but probably won't. I'm beginning to feel ready to face this head on. If it were elevators or spiders or heights or whatever else, I'd have to make the choice to face it. With this, i've been waiting and dreading getting sick, for the moment of my showdown with this phobia.
Talking about this in therapy today left me a total sobbing wreck. At this moment though, I'm feeling a bit more backbone and resolve to do this. I may try early next week when I don't have to work. Sometimes it seems like something I should and even must do, and at other moments it evokes sheer terror. I'll need some major cyber-hand-holding, if I actually do this.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: moving towards "exposure therapy" for my phobia new
      #342318 - 02/18/09 08:41 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Good for you, hawkeye!! It sounds as though you've made up your mind to do it, and now it's just a question of when. That's a big step!

If you want, I'll send you a picture of my ex... it always makes me throw up when I look at it.

Good luck!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#342332 - 02/19/09 07:21 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

After a very unhappy therapy session today, I'm starting to psych myself up to self-induce vomiting to finally face my fears.

OH GOOD LORD!!!

You're WAY braver than I. I couldn't even consider this. I'm shaking as I type this. Kudos to you and good luck.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#342341 - 02/19/09 10:30 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ypur fear is real and you should never compare it to any other fear as in having more or less merit. The point is, you have a legitimate phobia, and as with other legitimate phobias, you'll eventually have to face it head on.

We're all here for you holding your hand. It's going to be OK. After you're done the most difficult part, we'll still be here for you, clapping, patting you on the back.

I'm excited for you.

~nelly~

#342350 - 02/19/09 03:14 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hawkeye,

You're stronger than I am! I can't even discuss the topic - it goes to show just how much progress you have made. I wish you nothing but the best!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#342361 - 02/19/09 04:53 PM
hawkeye

Well, I partly wrote the post because I was having a moment of resolve and knew that if I put it out there, it might help me stick to the plan once I start getting scared again. Well, I'm scared again, but I'm hoping I will stick to the plan. I'm considering next monday or tuesday because I don't have to work until late afternoon and I'll be home alone all morning. I can't do this with my daughter at home and have her see me become a basket case. I'm truly not sure I can go through with it.

--------------------

#342370 - 02/19/09 08:04 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Good for you Hawkeye! You are very brave and I cant say that I could do the same thing thats for sure. Once you do it and you find that youre ok after its all done, I am sure that will help. Good luck.

Stefanie

#342416 - 02/20/09 10:22 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

DITTO!!!!!!!
Your fear is legitimate, mine seem trivial - I feel like I should be able to "change my brain" and not get fearful over almost every symptom. At least yours is currently narrowed to one!
I'm proud of you and as Nelly said, we're all here supporting your decision and anxious to hear "you are fine"!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re:"Runs" new
      #342417 - 02/20/09 10:23 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

You're a hoot!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (02/20/09 10:24 PM)

runs no fun new
      #342765 - 03/03/09 05:53 AM
hawkeye

took two weeks, but thinking about this post this morning finally made me laugh! I guess that's progress!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review