All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
cat died
      #341977 - 02/11/09 07:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Today is a sad day. We made the choice to put our 11 year old cat Mrs Rabies to sleep. She had kidney failure and it really didn't seem like she would survive long. I have heard of cats surviving for some time on the special kidney food and it made my decision really hard. But Rabies was so unhealthy and lost so much weight and had water drinking issues anyway. The worst part is in the last few months as she got weaker and sicker she was so much more cuddly and around us so much more (she used to be in the basement most of the time). So we are sad and trying to stay confident that we made the right decision. My hub never professed a lot of love for this cat but he cried almost as much as me when we were making the decision to let her go.
Her is her picture. She was very pretty.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cat died new
      #341978 - 02/11/09 07:45 PM
Meower55

Reged: 06/24/08
Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Mrs. Rabies was a beautiful kitty; that is just such a tough decision to make. Blessings to you and your hubby as you grieve your sweet girl.

My Andrew is a 10 1/2 year old gray tabby and a real lover; I would have an awful time losing him right now.

--------------------
Nancy

#341979 - 02/11/09 07:53 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Little Minnie,

I am so sad to read that.

Cats are very proud animals. When their quality of life suffers they feel it even more than a person would. In that light, keep it in your mind that you did Mrs. Rabies a blessing by putting her to sleep and out of her misery.

Hang in there!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

RIP Mrs. Rabies new
      #341981 - 02/12/09 12:14 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

LM, I'm so sorry about Mrs. Rabies, she was a beautiful cat. You know she's in a better place now, she is not sick and doesn't hurt anymore.

I lost my pet (Skippy the degu) last May, after he had been battling pneumonia for a couple months. He was a true member of our family, smart, cuddling with us (especially later in his days, when he was really sick), following us around. I cried for days when he left us. What helped me was surrounding myself with pictures of him, remembering the happy times we shared. I created an online album with his pictures so that I could view them wherever I was.

A friend also send me this poem, it really helped me cope. Hang in there, it's a cliche but time does heal. Remember Mrs. Rabies when she was strong and happy, she would have wanted it that way.

Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341982 - 02/12/09 03:31 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'm so sorry. I know that's really hard. I lost a dog several years ago...he died suddenly, right in front of me. Horrible. My heart ached for a long time. I'll be thinking about you. HUGS!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#341987 - 02/12/09 06:59 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Oh LM, I am so sorry. I know this was a very difficult decision to make but I think you made the right one. She was in pain and suffering and we cannot selfishly hold on to our beloved pets when they are so sick.

Right now we are faced with the same decision with our cat, Miss Kitty. She is almost 14 and has a terrible problem with her mouth. Her immune system is attacking her gums and there is nothing they can do to stop the process. There are temporary fixes but about a month ago we made the decision to stop with the temp fixes. She has lost a lot of weight and her mouth is very painful it is difficult for her to eat. She does eat very soft wet food but is not gaining the weight back. She has also become very loving and clingy in the last few months so I understand the difficult decision when they are so loving. It makes it harder to let go.

Sorry to go on and on about my cat. I just wanted you to know that I understand completely what you are going through because I am dealing with the same thing right now. We know the decision is coming but it is very difficult to know when is the right time.

I admire your strength in making this tough decision. I am so sorry that you have lost Mrs. Rabies, she was a beautiful kitty. They do become members of our family. People that aren't animal lovers don't understand.

Hugs

--------------------
Janey

thanks new
      #342002 - 02/12/09 12:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

of course I regretted it and cried all night. When I tried to sleep I would think about how she wasn't going to come sleep on my shoulder and how if we had given her another day on IV and brought her home it would have at least given us time to come to terms with her being gravely ill. Even though she went to the vet for her checkup in December, we didn't have indication that she was sick- just getting old. But today I stayed home from work and haven't cried. I'm just taking it easy. My two other kitties are so snuggly today.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342005 - 02/12/09 01:16 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

I'm so sorry. You did the right thing. My cat is 15 and for the last two years she has really struggled with IBS! She has very bad D and vomits at least once a week. I have brought her to so many vets. It is heartbreaking when they are sick. I am dreading the day I have to do the same as you did. She is like my daughter. You have my sympathy.

IBD in cats... new
      #342022 - 02/12/09 04:07 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I just had to respond to this one... one of my cats has been diagnosed with IBD. Several months ago she started vomiting, even after just drinking water. She couldn't keep anything down. After an ultrasound, she was diagnosed with IBD when they discovered no ulcers, but some irritation in her intestines. Through a combination of diet and meds, she is now stable. What has your vet tried? I can tell you what is working for us.

IBD is usually caused by the type of food the cat is eating. Therefore, a single-protein food of either Venison, Duck, or Rabbit is recommended. But you have to really read the ingredients and make sure there's no other protein in there; sometimes you'll find eggs for example. I finally found a grain-free food that so far is working great for her: Natural Balance Venison and sweet pea. She also takes 2.5 mg of Pepcid twice daily, before each meal. I just buy the 10 mg pills and cut them into quarters. She started on 5 mg of Prednisolone once a day, but we are now VERY slowly weaning her off of that. Each month we drop her dose very slightly. So far it's working! Sorry to ramble, but maybe this will help your kitty.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#342023 - 02/12/09 04:11 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm so sorry, LM. I, too, have three kitties, and I can't imagine losing any of them. We've battled some serious health problems with each of them at one time or another, and I'm so grateful we never got to the point where we had to make that decision. Don't question what you did, you did the right thing! My thoughts and hugs are with you, from one cat lover to another!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4190

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review