All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Endoscopy? What to expect?
      #341052 - 01/20/09 12:41 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Has anyone on here ever needed an upper endoscopy? Not quite as related to IBS issues so I wasn't sure...but I'm really curious. I have to have one tomorrow and am a bit nervous, don't really know what to expect? Does it hurt? Does it hurt after? If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Endoscopy? What to expect? new
      #341056 - 01/20/09 01:17 PM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

My gi doctor did an upper endoscopy at the same time as my colonoscopy. I was put to sleep & don't remember any of it. I was told that my throat may be tender for a day or so, but I had no discomfort. Hope everything goes well for you.

--------------------
IBS~D

#341060 - 01/20/09 02:04 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Vicam,
I had an upper endoscopy in 2006. Basically they gave me something to relax me, I fell asleep and woke up when it was all over. I remember them telling me to look at the monitor because they wanted to show me my hiatle hernia, but I can't see without my glasses, so it was just a pink fuzzy blur. I woke up in recovery. I had some snacks I brought with me and a bottle of gatorade. My throat was scratchy for a day or so and I remember being tired from whatever drugs, but nothing major.

Best of luck,

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#341064 - 01/20/09 06:37 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

My story is same as Pennie's.... I had both at the same time and was totaly knocked out. I would always recommend having both "ends" done at the same time - because they knock you out completely and it's over quickly.
My endoscopy showed esophogitis and gastritis. But, really IBS was the causative factor. Where your colon starts is where I would have so much pain and the drs. said it was kinking, (kinky colon...hmmmmmmm ) twisting, seizing, etc. and I guess just keeping my food from digesting.
After all you have been through, this will be a piece of cake. Just make sure your BP is stable before leaving the hospital...
Let us hear the results... Take Care...
{{Hugs}} Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Thanks Guys! new
      #341065 - 01/20/09 07:57 PM
Vicam

Thank you to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it and I feel a bit better (though definitely wishing I had it all done at once)

I will post with how everything goes once I'm rested up and all done!

All done, but wasn't put out new
      #341122 - 01/22/09 02:29 PM
Vicam

It's all over with (don't get the results for two weeks) but I wasn't put out! I expected it to be like a colonoscopy but the only thing they were willing to give me was the Versed. And (I'm really freaked about this) they gave me double the dose and it didn't work. I was conscious and have a memory of the whole thing, I even tried to pull the tube out! Scratched up my throat and have no voice, and have been told I might not be able to eat solid foods for a week!

Does anyone know if this is normal? I thought you were always more out than that? Plus, can a person fight the versed like that?

Re: All done, but wasn't put out new
      #341131 - 01/22/09 05:24 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I didn't want to share horror stories before your test, but I was awake for the first endoscopy I had, but that was as a kid. I assume that they wanted to be more careful about dosage or something since I was only 10. I remember having a similar experience to yours. I had one again a few years ago and was out of it enough that I was okay. I'm so sorry your test was painful!!!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#341134 - 01/22/09 06:31 PM
Wyowoman

Reged: 01/18/09
Loc: Wyoming

I had one a few years ago and it was a piece of cake. You get your IV, they put you under, you wake up feeling kinda sleepy and that's it. I never felt a thing and didn't have any throat soreness. I hope that will allay your fears and you will sail through with no undue stress. Good luck!

#341135 - 01/22/09 06:39 PM
Wyowoman

Reged: 01/18/09
Loc: Wyoming

Oh, I'm sorry for my previous post. I didn't check dates and now I see you already had your endoscopy and it didn't go well. I hope you recover quickly and feel alot better soon. Take care.

#341145 - 01/23/09 08:15 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The same thing happened with mine a couple of years ago. I have a very high tolerance to the sedation drugs and despite them giving me three different doses, I was WIDE awake for the whole thing. I had told the doctor before that I was really hard to sedate and he promised me I wouldn't remember a thing. As soon as he pulled the scope out, I spit out the mouth block and called him a SOB! I remember everything and the "recovery" nurses were amazed that I immediately got dressed to leave. They didn't want me to go but I had Will there to drive me. I went home and did the dishes!! My throat was sore and I did stick to soup and soft foods for about 2 days than it seemed ok after that.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3954

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review