All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm back if anyone remembers me...needing FAST colonoscopy advice
      #340812 - 01/14/09 02:40 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I've been gone for a very long time now, but I still see a few familiar names on the board so hopefully some of you remember me Sorry that I haven't been around for so long, and I hope that I'm still welcome to post here. I'll even try and post an update about what's been going on in my general life (talk about MAJOR changes) if there are still people who remember me.

But for now, I actually come humbly seeking advice for an upcoming colonoscopy on Friday. You guys got me through the last one, but sadly I'm in a worse position now which is why we are having to do it again. The doctors were hoping to hospitalize me for the prep because of what's been going on, but there are no beds and it doesn't look like it's going to happen. So since you guys were always so good with this stuff, I thought I would see what suggestions I might be able to get here to make it as easy as possible.

Anyways, turns out it looks like I never had IBS, though I am still plagued by my endo issues and some other stuff. The most serious of which turns out to be anemia (go figure). Found out a few months ago I'm severely anemic and have been messed up ever since.

The assumption was that the anemia was from the endo and my periods, but we got the periods under control just to find out my levels were still dropping, and then the rectal bleeding started. And they did a stool test and found digested blood as well, so now it's back to the colonoscopy. More than likely the endo has spread into the bowel, but I won't know for sure until I have the test. The problem is, I'm a constant fainting risk for right now due to very low blood pressure and electrolytes that refuse to stay within their ranges...so obviously the prep will be a bit harder on me than it was before.

It's mostly my potassium and sodium that keep dropping, and my BP is very low (90/60 is a good day). I'm doing the Fleet Phoshosoda prep followed by Citro-Mag in the AM if it's still needed.

I guess I would just love some dietary recommendations or drink recommendations, anything that I can do to try and make it as easy on the system as possible and try and keep my electrolytes in check. I've stocked up on poweraid and that kind of stuff...and I've been restricting my diet for the last few days in the hopes that if there is less in there the prep will go faster (who knows right?).

But whatever support or suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated

Thanks so much!

P.S. Is Bev still on here?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hiya Vicam! {{{HUGS}}} new
      #340815 - 01/14/09 04:26 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

As they're pushing the fluids, drink warm liquids instead of anything cold... Remember cold liquids can send a shocky body even more into shock.

Big {{{HUGS}}}} to you and warm wishes for a good result. I have a fainting/seizure disorder and I know how scary that can be. I'm taking mega iron supplements and staying out of the cold because of my anemia, asthma and seizures. They always are worse for me in the winter!!

Post back and let us know how you're doing, chica! I've missed your smiling face!

~nelly~

Hiya Nelly! new
      #340818 - 01/14/09 04:32 PM
Vicam

So nice to hear from you! Thank you for the kind response I will definitely post soon with more of an update. I've been without regular net access on and off for the last year, but I'm back...and I've missed you guys too.

I didn't realize you had a fainting/seizure disorder or that you were anemic, sorry to hear that Is your anemia better? Mine got so bad without me knowing that I'm not even doing the supplements, we are doing the shots. They hurt! lol I couldn't even believe it, weekly shots in the bum. Not fun. My hemoglobin is only sitting at 7.7 with 0 ferritin so I'm not in the greatest shape. Maybe you can offer some hope, have you been able to get your levels up? And would you do the prep alone in this kind of situation?

Preps suk in general... new
      #340822 - 01/14/09 05:37 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I am terrible at the colonoscopy prep. It makes me D for a month straight. But the Colonoscopy Prep Made Simple is the best set of instructions I've found for that dreaded part of the test.

I have bad sports and cold weather-induced asthma so in the wintertime, I can't even manage a full inhalation. I have to take iron just so I can take a full breath in.

I also had to stop my periods because my iron levels would dip because of the menses and endo. Since my periods stopped, I haven't experienced any endo, and my levels have been higher.

Good luck!!!!!!! Make sure they give you good Knock 'em Out drugs, and if you're feeling shy, wear knee-high woolen socks (they'll give you an illusion of modesty-- Honest, it works! I even wear them for pelvic exams!).

~nelly~

Re: I'm back if anyone remembers me...needing FAST colonoscopy advice new
      #340824 - 01/14/09 06:23 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi Vicam,

I remember you from before. I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time. Welcome back! You know this is the place to be to get support and advice.

I had a colonoscopy about 2 months ago. I didn't use the same prep, I had to drink go-lytely. Awful stuff.

I wish you luck on Friday and I hope the doc finds what is going on so you can start feeling better.

Hugs

--------------------
Janey

Re: I'm back if anyone remembers me...needing FAST colonoscopy advice new
      #340837 - 01/14/09 08:22 PM
Vicam

Hi Janey!

I remember you too Thanks so much for the good wishes, I really appreciate it. I will stick around if that's ok...I guess I just figured since I don't have IBS after all I shouldn't hang around here. But I still definitely have GI issues (lucky me!)

Thanks for the warm welcome back.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2230

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review