All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
relationships
      #340787 - 01/13/09 05:53 PM
Alesha

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: London, Ontario, Canada

I would love to hear some stories about how others delt with a new relationship and their IBS. I just met a really great guy and he is understanding but I'm having a hard time with his parents wanting me to stay for supper so often. I have mentioned some things I can't eat but I'd rather not eat all at while I'm visiting because I get so much gas in my belly after and it lasts all night. Holding it inside just really hurts and I haven't been able to explain this much to him just yet. I would marry this man if he asked me to but how do I get over this hurdle first.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: relationships new
      #340800 - 01/14/09 08:43 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Alesha--You should be able to talk about anything with a man you would consider marrying.

I have learned that in any new relationship (not just romantic relationships), I need to be up-front about my condition. I explain that I have IBS and that new situations and eating away from home are stressful for me. I let people know that I may need to cancel plans at the last minute, or leave unexpectedly during an event. It's important to make it clear that the embarrassment over the physical symptoms can lead to what some may consider anti-social behavior.

Being up-front with a boyfriend and other friends about IBS helps alleviate the stress you would feel in a situation. I also suggest that you talk to his parents about it as well.

Good luck!

Re: relationships new
      #340917 - 01/17/09 10:20 AM

Unregistered

Well after a long time I told my bf about my ibs..He was on one of his family trips where he stays with his family at his grandparents for about 2 weeks. We had been talking on the phone and I had an urge to tell him.I felt really nervous and thought I was going to cry..I don't know why,and I knew he wouldn't think any diffrent of me and everything would be the same. I said that I had a secret,the reason why I work the hours that I do,the reason I don't travel.I asked him if he knew what ibs was,he didn't so I said Irritable Bowel Syndrom,then I said It's common in women and I run to the bathroom all day,I have to work the hours I do so I feel good at work. He just listened and said,oh ok.He had to get off the phone as I was leaving for work and he was busy.A while ago when he was over,I said remember that secret I told you? He said he forgot what it was..I picked up the white and blue Ibs book and he read the title. It grossed him out. He said he was going to go to arbys and eat on his way home and he didn't want to hear about it.2 days ago I was telling him more about ibs.I said Everything is physically normal and it doesn't shorten your life,your system doesn't work as it should and alot of foods that don't bother regular people bother ibs..then I gave him a list like,dairy,alcohol,I told him a little about the diffrent fibers..Later I'm showing him this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eInvmxGhsko Then after he watches it give more details..I wrote

"The video says cure,but there is no cure. The video was general but It didn't cover diet specifics such as different kinds of fibers,there's Souluble and If. There's supplements that are very helpful.

Since I don't get colon contractions,but spasms,So when I need to go to the bathroom,I don't get the "urge" like regular people. I have some gas and or a little cramping.It's hard to explain,I just know when I need to run to the bathroom..I don't run because I'm going to have an accident,It's not that kind of problem,but when I know I need to go,I just sit down and go. There's been times 5 minutes after I was in the bathroom I was running in there again. It's a motility problem

I have these problems every single day. It's kind of unpredictable when I'll be running to the bathroom,It's always in the morning soon after I wake up then It's all day at different times . I just stay home all day and drink fennel tea and take supplements. Yesterday my mom was taking a shower,she was probly in the bathroom for 20minutes and I had ran to the other bathroom about 4 times.

It's probly my fault it's so bad,I don't exercise or stay away from high fat foods..those are triggers,so is dairy,alcohol,fruits and vegtables can be.they are supposed to be eaten carefully because of the type of fiber in them,Insoluble Fiber and that is considered both good and bad,It's a GI tract stimulant which is bad for Ibs if eaten alone or on an empty stomach because It has to do with the gastrocolic reflux-nuerogenic process increase in colonic motility,triggred by stomach upon eating. People with Ibs already wildly unstable colon contrations..I think I have my info correct,I guess Spasms are are wild unstable contrations?"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 963 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review