All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Surgery soon, I hope
      #340492 - 01/06/09 10:32 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Just made an appt to get my lipoma in my back removed by some doc-in-a-box. I saw this video on utube of a guy doing it himself (he had one on his arm). It only took 30 seconds!!

I'd do it myself, if I could see behind my back. The stitches might take a little longer to manage, tho...

The two docs I've seen already (consultation fees for doc #1: $100, doc #2: $325 ) said because I had fibro, there was no WAY they were operating on me. So 4 months later I still have this massive pain in my back. Arg. I'm not disclosing anything this time.

My BF watched the same video I did. He said he could never preform the surgery for me, unless I got him really drunk. Back-up plans!!!!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Surgery soon, I hope new
      #340512 - 01/06/09 01:33 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Oh, gosh, Nelly good luck!!!! Be careful, there's lots of wackos out there.... I hope you get some relief!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#340518 - 01/06/09 03:22 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Nelly, honey, I couldn't watch the whole video - ugh!! Please don't resort to that! (Not that you would!)

I hope you will find someone to treat you soon!!

Hugs!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Appointment this week new
      #340629 - 01/09/09 03:14 PM
Nelly

My appointment is Tuesday! Only $75 for the consultation, CASH, the receptionist said on the phone, because I don't have insurance and therefore my checks can't be trusted.

OK, I do have to pay cash because of the lack of insurance thing, but I was only inferring by the tone of her voice that my character in general couldn't be trusted... She DID have an accusatory tone, tho.

I'm calling this my New Year's resolution. Get. This. Thing. Outta. Mee!

~nelly~

Re: Appointment this week new
      #340639 - 01/09/09 06:28 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Okay there's no way I'm watching that video! Good luck with this - sounds a bit scary but necessary? What about the fibro makes them not want to operate?

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#340642 - 01/09/09 06:48 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Nelly....go to the doc i will pay for it.Ewwwwwww gross.
What would ever possess someone to do THAT!

It was very gross but strangely I couldn't look away.......

Good luck with yours.

PS make sure they have scissors to cut it off cause the knife just wasn't doing it.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Note to self new
      #340660 - 01/10/09 10:02 AM
Nelly

Note to self... bring scissors!

I've already decided to write NO in big, bold letters on the other side of my back. Just in case they try to do the right side instead of the left side...

~nelly~

#340661 - 01/10/09 10:12 AM
Nelly

Their position is that because I have fibromyalgia, any surgery to my back will make me worse in the long run.

Problem is, right now I can't sit in a chair because this lipoma under the skin is really painful. I can't sit, so I can't work. No work means no quality of life and by the way this lipoma really hurts my back.

So who is looking at the big picture, me or my doctors? Having fibro means I'll never be out of pain (unless I take enough pills to make me completely inebriated all the time). I can have the lipoma taken out and get a few good years until it grows back.

As for the pain from the surgical scar? Well, I don't know. Having fibro means I'll have pain, but I won't feel like like there's a knife wedged in my back when I sit. It'll be nerve pain more on the skin and I can put a patch on it and it'll be like my other surgical scars. There but manageable. I hope.

OK, my back hurts from sitting. Half an hour in my chair today, and it feels like I'm being shivved.

~nelly~

#340663 - 01/10/09 01:21 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Nelly,

Good luck with your appt. Don't pay any attention to the tone of voice of the chick in the office. She has no right to treat you that way or to imply anything. She should be nothing but polite and helpful to you.

I worked in a Dr. office for a couple of years and I would have NEVER treated a patient that way and neither would any of my co-workers. It is unprofessional. If she continues with her attitude you should complain to the office manager. Believe me, the docs do not want their patients treat rudely.

I never thought of myself as a squemish person but I couldn't watch that whole video. He must have had a very high pain threshold. I can't imagine how much it hurt.

I really am so sorry that you are experiencing so much pain. I hope the doc will be able to help. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Let us know how it goes on Tues.

--------------------
Janey

Sorry about the video new
      #340720 - 01/12/09 10:42 AM
Nelly

For the squeamish who tried to see the entire video but couldn't possibly make it, he pulls out a fat blob at the end, roughly half the size of a human thumb.

THAT'S what's in my back. It's right underneath my skin and driving me craaazy!!!

~nelly~

Re: Sorry about the video new
      #340726 - 01/12/09 02:22 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Whoa...gross video but yeah...couldn't take my eyes off of it. OUCH! I'm sure it'll be much better with some anesthesia! Good luck!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

UPDATE: Consultation went well, Nelly nerves on edge! new
      #340768 - 01/13/09 11:42 AM
Nelly

Just got back from the doctor... this surgery is going to be expensive, for something in that video that the guy took out in 5 minutes...

US $3850!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid the first $1000 for the surgeon's fee (he knocked off $250 for me, cos I have no insurance) and the hospital is going to bill me for the rest. (!!!)

We used up all our food money for the month scraping together that amount, and skipped the cable bill... I'm freaking out! We're down to canned goods.

I go under the knife one week from today. Someone send me some good wishes and happy thoughts!!

Very scared now!

~nelly~

Re: UPDATE: Consultation went well, Nelly nerves on edge! new
      #340777 - 01/13/09 03:38 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Of course we all wish you well Nelly!!

I'm sorry you've had to use your grocery money!! I can't imagine your situation - we have public health care for the most part. We pay for it on our taxes, but I can't imagine the dr. telling me to pay out of pocket for a necessary procedure.

I sure hope that everything goes superbly and that you will lose the discomfort you're feeling and be able to sit and be comfortable!!

HUGS!!!!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

I really hope so! new
      #340779 - 01/13/09 03:41 PM
Nelly

Thanks, Toady! Yeah, paying money for health care doesn't make sense to me either. You Northerners have it so lucky! I was thisclose to taking a loan out on my car title to pay for this. Argh. Can you imagine??

~nelly~

UPDATE #2: BAD new
      #340810 - 01/14/09 02:05 PM
Nelly

Those crapheads!! Those greedy hospital creeps!!

The hospital just called me and said since I don't have health insurance, I have to put a DEPOSIT down for the operation room! They want $1,500 by Saturday!!!?!

I TOLD you they were going to treat me like a criminal because I don't have health insurance!!!! Now they're going to cancel the surgery date if I don't come up with it! AAAAAIIIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can they deny me surgery I need?? MISERY PROFITEERS!!!!!

~nelly~

Re: UPDATE #2: BAD new
      #340819 - 01/14/09 05:13 PM
hawkeye

That is truly f&^%ed up! Not totally surprising but awful. What will you do?

--------------------

#340821 - 01/14/09 05:27 PM
Nelly

I canceled the check for cable, am not paying my electricity bill, and borrowed cash from BF. My mom is also not paying her electricity and is chipping in.

THIS IS EXTORTION!!!

~nelly~ Grrrrr.

#340826 - 01/14/09 06:27 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Nelly,

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. I can't believe that they won't work with you with a payment plan or something.

I wish you luck sweetie and I hope everything works out.

--------------------
Janey

#340833 - 01/14/09 07:51 PM
hawkeye

Janey is right - I thought most hospitals would offer a payment plan of some kind. Healthcare in this country is really a disgrace. So sorry you're dealing with this.

--------------------

#340835 - 01/14/09 07:57 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Good grief, Nelly, I can't believe you're going through all this!! I finally tried watching that video, and I just couldn't do it. Yuck!!! I hope everything works out for you!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#340844 - 01/15/09 07:34 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Thats crap! I know how it is not to have insurance its like well who cares if your sick we need are money! I hope this all works out for you your in my prayers. Just rember what goes around comes around they may be in your shoes some day!
hugsxxxxx
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Deposit plus payment plan new
      #340854 - 01/15/09 01:00 PM
Nelly

They want me on a payment plan to pay the near-$5000 the surgery has become (thanks to some revisionist math on their behalf. Before when I called for an estimate, it was closer to $3850 total...)

But the payment plan will cover the balance. Casey the evil Compliance Coordinator of Doom wants me to put down $1500 CASH just to get through the door. Yeah, deposit my butt. They don't ask deposits of emergency cases or people with uh, what's that thing? Health insurance?

The $1500 deposit is to book the operating room only. I'd pay the balance in installments after the surgery is complete.

UNBELIEVABLE.

And so I've really, been *really* on edge, besides my back hurting and OH, YEAH, my pesky IBS stuff kicking at me as well. Arg.

Can someone send me a basket of puppies or something? A warm breeze and a rainbow? Or maybe some horrible ailment I can spread to Compliance A$$wipe the next time she calls me 3 times before 9am asking for cash buckets? Thanks a mil. Got to get here by Saturday or they're scratching my reservation.

~nelly~ (Feeling sorry for myself. Contemplating self-surgery)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6238

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review