All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Whats your favourite holiday tradition?
      #339824 - 12/22/08 07:11 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Every Christmas eve we watch A Christmas Story. It reminds us of our two boys so much and we laugh through the whole thing.

We started this year giving the kids a new pair of pj's Christmas Eve too.
Christmas morning we make pancakes or waffles with ice cream,and hang out in our jammies all morning too.

Whats your favourite holiday tradition?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whats your favourite holiday tradition? new
      #339880 - 12/22/08 09:38 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

We go to my daughter & son-in-law's home & of course our two baby girls (about 2 hours away) on Christmas Eve - just as early as my husband can get off work (his employer does not believe in letting you off during the week of Christmas!)... so, we spend the evening watching movies like the Chevy Chase one (senior moment - can't remember title), but the one with all the family coming to visit and especially the cat wrapped up in the box! Or, we may drive and look at lights. When my daughter married - 10 years ago - we began a Christmas Eve tradition of non-traditional food and have steaks that evening (them - not me!).
Then, the girls open their presents from us and we open ours...get food ready for the reindeer and Santa. Then, up early for Santa's gifts.
My sn-in-law's mother is very controlling and from the time they married she insisted they spend Christmas Day with her, but I think we got the "better end of the deal" because we're with them the "night before" and the "morning of"!
I used to love Christmas Eve candlelight service and always sang at my church, but when the girls came along, that changed....
Life is good! As my friend says if no one's in the hospital or dying - all is well!
Blessngs to you, Dragonfly- Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#339881 - 12/23/08 03:56 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Quote:

Every Christmas eve we watch A Christmas Story. It reminds us of our two boys so much and we laugh through the whole thing.

I love that movie too. It is based on the childhood memories of Jean Shepherd, an author who often wrote about his life in Indiana during the 1930's. He has a few books out that are absolutely hilarious and I'd recommend them to anyone wanting some easy reading and lots of wholesome laughs.

Personally, I love to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946 with James Stewart and Donna Reed). It became a tradition about 25 years ago after the studio that made the movie lost the rights to the movie and it went into the public domain and EVERY tv station in the country played the movie over and over and over again at Christmas.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339888 - 12/23/08 05:29 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

My favorite is for New Year's Eve. DH, kids and I have game night. We pull out the kids' games and play whatever they want. They also get to choose the menu for the evening from snacks, to dinner, to dessert and help me to prepare it. We get sparkling cider and serve it up in crystal wine glasses and toast to the New Year.

It's funny, I used to enjoy going out and partying for NYE but now I think what I like about it is that it's so kid-centered and they have so much fun.

One more thing....on Christmas Eve when we go to my mom's it's much more quiet and relaxed then at DH's so everyone opens their gifts one at a time and everyone watches and comments. At DH's, it's a free for all and I never know who got my kids which gifts and I feel so flustered. I love the chaos-free Christmas at Mom's.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#339889 - 12/23/08 06:00 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Every year we go to Christmas mass at 4pm. Then it is off to the in-laws house for munchies and presents. We leave around 9pm and head home. Christmas morning is all about the kids and Santa! Then my parents and brother come to our house later on in the day for more presents and dinner. We actually switched Christmas day to our house last year when Noah wanted to stay at home to play with his new toys. Since my brother doesn't have kids it was fine for everyone. Mom and Dad just live down the street so bringing all the presents here isn't that big of a deal. We usually eat Lasagna on Christmas Day because everyone is sick of ham and turkey!

**And Dorothy the name of that movie is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Hubby and I watched it a couple of nights ago! I love it and it is a tradition every year! I love the part where he is emptying the toilet into the sewer in his scibbies, drinking a beer and smoking a stogie!! The classic line "Morin' Shi##ers full!"

#339895 - 12/23/08 07:14 AM
dragonfly

Oh Dorthy that sounds wonderful!!

I love National Lampoons Christmas Vacation!!!Leading up to Christmas all the channels have so many Christmas favourites.

I just love this time of year.

Have a wonderful Christmas and drive safe!!

Love to you and yours, Chris

--------------------

#339896 - 12/23/08 07:17 AM
dragonfly

Angela E.,
Isn't it wonderful staying home and having everyone come to your house.Helps with the IBS too.
Christmas is so much fun for the kids, my niece is 2 and nephew is 6 months and they were so fun to watch.Brings back memories of watching our kids play with the box the toy came in.

Have a great Christmas,Lasagna sounds wonderful for dinner too!
Chris

--------------------

#339897 - 12/23/08 07:21 AM
dragonfly

Lauren,
Funny we do the same thing with the kids too!We have munchies and they get a free for all when it comes to goodies,only one day a year,we all play rock band on the PS2 or board games too.
Speaking of free for all and not having a clue about who gave what,we hosted Christmas this year and everyone spent the night too!I spent all week cleaning and in one day my house looked like Santas toy shop blew up! (and the local tavern too.)
We had so much fun though. I love this time of year!

Have a happy Christmas!!
Chris

--------------------

#339898 - 12/23/08 07:23 AM
dragonfly

Runs,
I've never seen that movie.Weird huh?

What other books does Jean Shepherd write? I'd love to read them.

Have a good Christmas!
Chris

--------------------

#339900 - 12/23/08 07:52 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I'm feeling jealous! Our christmas is spent at a SUPER stressful family visit. Each year I plot how to get out of it. Very little IBS safe food, and very difficult to bring my own either. We celebrate Chanuka too and that is fun at home together playing dreidel - with low-oil latkes for me!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#339904 - 12/23/08 08:46 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

On Christmas Eve we all meet at my sister's church for the 4:00 Christmas service and then head to her house for snacks/dinner. My brother in law is a great cook so he takes on that responsibility for the dinner. Afterwards, we exchange gifts and usually play "Jenga". Even with our small family it gets pretty noisy, expecially at game time.

One year we had a lot more people over so I came up with this idea of "Christmas Around the World"....so everyone brought a dish to signify a country....ended up with lasagna, spanish rice, turkey, etc....just something a little different.

Happy Holidays to All.
Sharon

#339905 - 12/23/08 08:53 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Quote:

Runs,
I've never seen that movie.Weird huh?

What other books does Jean Shepherd write? I'd love to read them.

Have a good Christmas!
Chris

I would highly recommend seeing "It's a Wonderful Life". It's the feel-good movie of all-time and James Stewart said it was his favorite role.

I have four of Jean Shepherd's books:

"In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash"
"Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters"
"The Ferrari in the Bedroom "
"A Fistful of Fig Newtons"

They're a collection of short stories told in a folksy, very funny manner. Check out your local library; they should have a few of them.

Thanks for the holiday cheer, Chris. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339922 - 12/23/08 01:45 PM
dragonfly

Cool...not cool about the stress part.

Why is Christmas so stressful for you? Have you one of those crappy families who love drama?or do you not get along with everyone? I love Christmas with my family...my hubbies,not so much,lol
Chanuka sounds interesting, tell me more.

--------------------

#339924 - 12/23/08 01:49 PM
dragonfly

Christmas around the world sounds awesome, my family isn't that adventurous though

Have a Merry Christmas Sharon.
Chris

--------------------

#339948 - 12/23/08 05:04 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Definately spending the day with family - mine and the DH's. We are extremely lucky to all be close and within 10 or 15 minutes drive of everyone so we get to be together for the holidays. I could care less about presents just as long as I get to sit and visit with my grandma and papa on Christmas day. There is something to be said about the love of a grandparent - treasure it if you still have yours - I know I'm blessed to still have mine.

Merry Christmas and / or Happy Chanukah everyone!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#339954 - 12/23/08 05:23 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

What a wonderful idea,thanks for starting this thread dragonfly.

When my children were younger we would eat dinner which was always the traditional Christmas dinner of turkey and all the trimmings. We went to church and when we came home they were allowed to open one present on Christmas eve and they were so excited all day waiting to open their present.

After church we would gather around the Christmas tree and one by one they would open their present which was always Christmas PJ's. They would get their pajamas on, get milk and cookies ready for Santa and off to bed they would go.

My kids are 28, 22 and 19 and they still want their Christmas eve gift. Sadly we are not all together and haven't been for the past couple of years but I still send their pj's wrapped and marked open Christmas Eve and I also still send them a stocking filled with their favorite things.

On Christmas Day we would open gifts, eat a big breakfast and then relax and watch whatever movies Santa brought. We also eat leftovers from the night before so no one is stuck in the kitchen cooking.

I have lived away from my family and my husbands family for many years. I always miss being with family but it was nice to be able to start our own traditions and to be able to stay home at Christmas.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and have an IBS free day.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 494 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4239

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review