All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Whats your favourite holiday tradition? new
      #339904 - 12/23/08 08:46 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

On Christmas Eve we all meet at my sister's church for the 4:00 Christmas service and then head to her house for snacks/dinner. My brother in law is a great cook so he takes on that responsibility for the dinner. Afterwards, we exchange gifts and usually play "Jenga". Even with our small family it gets pretty noisy, expecially at game time.

One year we had a lot more people over so I came up with this idea of "Christmas Around the World"....so everyone brought a dish to signify a country....ended up with lasagna, spanish rice, turkey, etc....just something a little different.

Happy Holidays to All.
Sharon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#339905 - 12/23/08 08:53 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Quote:

Runs,
I've never seen that movie.Weird huh?

What other books does Jean Shepherd write? I'd love to read them.

Have a good Christmas!
Chris

I would highly recommend seeing "It's a Wonderful Life". It's the feel-good movie of all-time and James Stewart said it was his favorite role.

I have four of Jean Shepherd's books:

"In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash"
"Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters"
"The Ferrari in the Bedroom "
"A Fistful of Fig Newtons"

They're a collection of short stories told in a folksy, very funny manner. Check out your local library; they should have a few of them.

Thanks for the holiday cheer, Chris. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339922 - 12/23/08 01:45 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Cool...not cool about the stress part.

Why is Christmas so stressful for you? Have you one of those crappy families who love drama?or do you not get along with everyone? I love Christmas with my family...my hubbies,not so much,lol
Chanuka sounds interesting, tell me more.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#339924 - 12/23/08 01:49 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Christmas around the world sounds awesome, my family isn't that adventurous though

Have a Merry Christmas Sharon.
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#339948 - 12/23/08 05:04 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Definately spending the day with family - mine and the DH's. We are extremely lucky to all be close and within 10 or 15 minutes drive of everyone so we get to be together for the holidays. I could care less about presents just as long as I get to sit and visit with my grandma and papa on Christmas day. There is something to be said about the love of a grandparent - treasure it if you still have yours - I know I'm blessed to still have mine.

Merry Christmas and / or Happy Chanukah everyone!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#339954 - 12/23/08 05:23 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

What a wonderful idea,thanks for starting this thread dragonfly.

When my children were younger we would eat dinner which was always the traditional Christmas dinner of turkey and all the trimmings. We went to church and when we came home they were allowed to open one present on Christmas eve and they were so excited all day waiting to open their present.

After church we would gather around the Christmas tree and one by one they would open their present which was always Christmas PJ's. They would get their pajamas on, get milk and cookies ready for Santa and off to bed they would go.

My kids are 28, 22 and 19 and they still want their Christmas eve gift. Sadly we are not all together and haven't been for the past couple of years but I still send their pj's wrapped and marked open Christmas Eve and I also still send them a stocking filled with their favorite things.

On Christmas Day we would open gifts, eat a big breakfast and then relax and watch whatever movies Santa brought. We also eat leftovers from the night before so no one is stuck in the kitchen cooking.

I have lived away from my family and my husbands family for many years. I always miss being with family but it was nice to be able to start our own traditions and to be able to stay home at Christmas.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and have an IBS free day.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4250

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review