All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For pregnant ladies
      #338507 - 11/24/08 02:13 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

How have you handled pregancy with no dairy? We will ttc soon, but I'm wondering how no dairy affects the pregnancy. I know you can get calcium from kale and spinach, but what if that's an ibs problem for you as well?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For pregnant ladies new
      #338515 - 11/24/08 02:55 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm not sure I understand... There are plenty of ways to get calcium without dairy. There's probably a good amount in your vitamin (especially if you switch to a prenatal), and I drink a lot of fortified rice/soy milk. You need to shoot for 1200-1400 mg of calcium per day, and I rarely eat things like kale and broccoli because they give me gas if I eat too much. So, I stick to things like fortified soy/rice milk, tofu, and my vitamins.

*** If you are planning to start TTC, make sure you either switch to a prenatal, or do what I did and get a folic acid supplement from your OBGYN!!! It is SO IMPORTANT to have that extra folic acid before you even conceive!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#338517 - 11/24/08 03:27 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

Thanks for the response. I do take a multivitamin daily, but I probably need to start the prenatals. I am concerned that I will not eat enough nutrients. Basically most fruits/veggies make me bloated or nauseated. I'm hoping the ibs will at least temporarily go away while being preggers.

#338518 - 11/24/08 04:35 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You'd be surprised... and if you're worried about a prenatal wreaking havoc on your IBS (like me), it may be just fine to stick with a regular old multivitamin. I got mine okay'ed by my OBGYN before we started TTC. I just use the generic "One a Day Women's" and they have 450 mg of calcium! Prenatals tend to have a lot of iron in them, which can cause C, for one thing. That's why I said you may just need a folic acid supplement.

Do you take a digestive enzyme? I've been using those throughout my pregnancy with no problems. You probably eat better than you think! Just hit all the food groups, and protein is probably the most important one of all. But during that first trimester, when you feel like crap anyway, all you really need is folic acid and water. Seriously! So don't worry too much.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review