All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: for the above two comments new
      #338523 - 11/24/08 05:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I appreciate your good wishes.
Whether or not God created animals to eat other animals (read Genesis 1:29,30 and then 9:2-5 for info on when eating meat began) doesn't change the fact that humans should act humane. Since we know better it is crucial that we display the qualities that put us above animals- compassion, empathy and wisdom. A grizzly bear tearing some prey apart and eating it alive is just acting like a grizzly bear. We need to act like humans. If people are to eat meat they should do it as humanely to the animals as possible. Since our society is so out of whack now we can rarely be sure the meat we eat was raised and killed painlessly.

As I said in my last post, the Bible doesn't show we shouldn't eat meat now, so you don't have to worry about that. On the other hand there is nothing that says we have to. Clear?

I am sorry you, and most people, believe the Bible contradicts itself and is just all about interpretation. I have come to see it does not contradict itself and there is real black and white truth in it. God says at John 4:24 that his servants must worship with truth and if it wasn't available to us he would not expect it of us.

I am sorry a thread about trying more non meat choices has veered off into religion! I was not the one to bring it up, but I will not be mute when someone says God commands us to eat meat. It is my choice and fortunately God created us to be able to live on a vegan diet if we choose to.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#338525 - 11/24/08 05:27 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

I do not think there is anything wrong with being vegan or vegetarian, I have a problem with others telling me that because I eat meat that somehow I am inferior to them.I am not saying that you have or anyone else, just a general overall feeling I get from speaking to Vegans.

Yeah basically I presume all vegans do think they are better than non vegans when it comes to ethics. I suppose they are proud of their self control and their helping the environment and what they give to animals. As for other aspects of life I don't think vegans would think they are better, in general.
Slight bit of tongue in cheek.
I think people who are very in shape and athletic are quite proud of that too. When you get up every morning and work out hard when you want to sleep you tend to get a superiority complex over those that do not.
Just being honest.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#338526 - 11/24/08 05:28 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Miss Minnie,

Don't even waste your breathe. It's not worth it. Let us move on from this thread, and start a new one in the recipe/diet section and discuss vegan/veggie recipes with others who are in sync.

I will share when I find some good recipes and you do the same. Lisa Marie has some good info, also.

Be well!
Lynn

mixed marriage new
      #338528 - 11/24/08 05:48 PM
Little Minnie

He is a meat eater but for some time he has agreed to one meat free night per week for the environment. He was fine with not getting red meat at home for several years now but didn't want to give up poultry and seafood. Tonight I made him chicken and me tofu with the same preparation. I hadn't bought chicken in a very long time. All in all I am just trying to reduce his meat and eliminate mine. He basically will eat almost anything if it is spicy, so I make meatless Thai curries that he likes; a little grumbling but mostly he is satisfied. A lot of times he doesn't know something is meatless but my intention has not been to trick him.

--------------------

Re: For dragonfly (vegans should not read) new
      #338531 - 11/24/08 06:50 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Those are wild looking cows!!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#338540 - 11/25/08 04:44 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Just to clarify, I did NOT mean that the Bible says we HAVE to eat meat. That is a personal choice. I was just saying there are places in the Bible (Old Testament) where God was very specific about how to prepare meat and who should eat it, etc. He even provided the meat. I was trying to show that the Bible does not say it is wrong to eat meat (as a previous post implied about killing God's creatures...yes, everything in creation is God's...but that does not mean he did not intend for us to be able to eat animals). I was just trying to show examples of where they do eat meat...like the Passover:

"Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb [a] for his family, one for each household. 4 If any household is too small for a whole lamb, they must share one with their nearest neighbor, having taken into account the number of people there are. You are to determine the amount of lamb needed in accordance with what each person will eat. 5 The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats. 6 Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the people of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight. 7 Then they are to take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the lambs. 8 That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast. 9 Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire—head, legs and inner parts. 10 Do not leave any of it till morning; if some is left till morning, you must burn it. 11 This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the LORD's Passover."

I know different rules applied in the Old Testament and today...after the ultimate sacrifice. But I still was just trying to point out that if God had intended that we should never eat meat there wouldn't be so many examples of it in the Bible. I did not mean to say that God commands us to eat meat. We just don't have to not eat meat.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: Well said.nt new
      #338545 - 11/25/08 10:03 AM
dragonfly

--------------------

Re: Little Minnie/for the above two comments new
      #338546 - 11/25/08 10:04 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

"Yeah basically I presume all vegans do think they are better than non vegans when it comes to ethics. I suppose they are proud of their self control and their helping the environment and what they give to animals."

In regard to the above statement you made, you should not presume ALL vegans feel this way. My best friends are vegans, however they are some of the very few who have not taken the eleteist attitude that many have. They have their own farm, have built a hay bale house and live off the land. Their not taking the attitude of being "socially superior" has given them more knowledge, understanding, empathy, and acceptance of others opinions.

The Bible is the inspired Word of God and yes, there are different interpretations. When a person is going to read the Bible, God expects us to pray before we read, asking Him to speak to us through his words and hear the message He intends for us. What God reveals for you may not be the same message He reveals to me. When we read Bible passages in Bible study, the minister will then ask us what we got out of this and lo and behold, everyone views it in a similar way, but somewhat different.

I take great offense when someone implies that I am not ethical. or for that matter even a good Christian because I am not vegetarian. I am one of the most ethical, environmentally concious persons you would ever meet. I raised my 26 year old son in a healthy environment with animals. He is also is an animal lover and not vegan. I also take great offense when you imply that another Christian's beliefs are wrong because of the way YOU have interpreted God's message. Personally I believe that God put animals on this earth not only for enjoyment, but for nourishment. There are many places in the Bible that prove this.

This is truly a personal choice and whatever that choice is has no reflection on what kind of a person he/she is. Isn't there someplace in the Bible that God says not to judge other people????

Sharon

Re: absolutely impressed! new
      #338548 - 11/25/08 10:37 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Ha! That's hilarious!!! Yes, cats are carnivores, and that's just the way it is. I've accepted it!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Little Minnie/for the above two comments new
      #338556 - 11/25/08 12:18 PM
dragonfly

Nicely put.

That straw bale house sounds pretty cool.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review