All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
absolutely impressed! new
      #338431 - 11/22/08 06:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am very sympathetic for the work you did and the toll it took on you! I think it would be like on Law and Order SVU. Someone has to investigate rapes but can you imagine doing that for a job and how draining and horrible it would be? I think that is an exact comparison of how bad it would be to investigate animal crimes, especially certain kinds. I sometimes have to not open things I get from USHS and Peta since the graphic stories sometimes affect me too greatly. Not that I turn a blind eye! I just can't read all of it, just like I choose to not read all there is about rape in eastern Africa, etc. What a world!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: falling off the vegan wagon new
      #338433 - 11/22/08 06:40 PM
Little Minnie

You are quite right. I need cookbooks. I will go to the library and get some I have been recommended. I made vegan fettucini alfredo tonight and hub and I really liked it. I didn't mean to say I was back into eating meat like a Texan or anything, just that it was getting tough.
Did anyone see the Dinner Impossible with Mike Symons where he had to serve non meat products to 500 cowboys? I wish they had given more insight into exactly what he did. I should search for some of those recipes. You see, sometimes the recipes you find are from people who don't necessarily have very good palates or haven't had meat in so long they forgot how good it tastes.
I am not a very all or nothing person so my goal has been to drastically reduce my poultry and other meats and to cut out regular eggs and just use home raised. But, like when I had a cold a month or two ago I made chicken wild rice soup and I had a turkey this month because it was free. And I still eat some fish and scallops and shrimp. I believe crab legs are more cruel but I am not proud of eating fish either! Still, I am gradually getting there.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: absolutely impressed! new
      #338434 - 11/22/08 07:21 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Yes, it is very hard to look at. It is much easier to look away, and try to pretend it isn't that bad. But, that is a natural human reaction for someone who is sensitive to the in-humane treatment of God's creatures. Some people seem to just have hardened hearts and those are the people that can view these crimes with no emotional reaction at all. After all...it's just an animal. The worst for me was and is the fur trade. Absolute misery for these creatures.

I was able to get in touch with my friend about the website. I don't have the exact link, but it is Michael Bluejay's website. If you go there and go to the green section and then articles, you will see the article. If you navigate, you will find it.

The article is under "Why Humans Are Not Natural Meat-Eaters", and once you click on that, you will see the article titled, "Eating Meat Isn't Natural."

It is a very good read.

Lynn

#338436 - 11/23/08 04:31 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Just curious what your thoughts are on God using "God's creatures" for burnt offerings and food in the Bible? Not trying to stir things up, but I thought that was an interesting statement you made. I am a strong Christian. And there are numerous places in the Bible that God tells people to eat meat and says it's ok. Your statement seems kind of contradictory. Just looking for some clarification on your views.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#338451 - 11/23/08 10:07 AM
osbo54

Sorry, Mary V, wrong choice of words. I am not a religious person, nor do I read the bible, so I would not be the person to debate that. I do not have the knowledge.

I can only speak to what I have witnessed with my own eyes, and therefore have first hand knowledge.

#338452 - 11/23/08 10:13 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Everyone has personal choices and I believe discussions like this only divide us and pull us away from the central premise of this IBS website. It's like a discussion on religion, politics or abortion. There will never be a definitive answer. We should be here to support and help, not judge other's beliefs or lifestyle.

for the above two comments new
      #338467 - 11/23/08 07:29 PM
Little Minnie

First of all, this thread was not formed as a discussion of vegetarianism. I wanted personal help for a decision I have already made. I am not arguing anything with meat eaters here.
Second, this is the living room board and not about IBS- those threads are on the Diet board. That is why I am talking about my food views here.
Third, since you brought it up, I am well versed in the Bible. It clearly shows humans were not made to eat meat. Meat was allowed into the diet after the flood when there was little vegetation available. The mosaic law clearly showed God's care for animals, in law's about plowing, resting, etc, and in the disapproval of the way the Israelites feasted on the quail. Humans are clearly commissioned to care for animals. Animals were here first then humans. There is absolutely nothing in the Bible that commands a person eat meat, but right now there are no commands to not eat meat either. It is a personal choice. A Christian should, however, remember the sanctity of life and not take any life for granted. If a Christian chooses to hunt or fish it should be done only for food and in the most respectful way, showing our gratitude for the lives God has given us. Remember that God knows every sparrow, so he obviously gives alot of attention to animals. Humans mistreatment of animals and the concession to eat meat are temporary and not as God intended. Rev 11:18 says God will bring to ruin those ruining the earth, and the misuse of animals is a pollution cause that will not be overlooked. Had humans not sinned in the Garden of Eden they would have continued to eat *perfect* fruits and vegetables. Only after the rebellion did humans start to kill animals. Animal sacrifices were sacred and not done a food source, but to prefigure the sacrifice of Jesus, the last "burnt offering", as the Bible calls it, that was ever needed. So at this time there is no command telling humans to ever kill animals.
Any other questions? I would be glad to explain further.

--------------------

Re: for the above two comments new
      #338472 - 11/24/08 05:48 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Also just curious, why did god create carnivores?

Animal cruelty is absolutely wrong, you are correct.The law doesn't punish harshly enough for these misdeeds.

I think there are farmers who do need to be taught better.All creatures human or animal deserve to have a good quality of life.

I do not think there is anything wrong with being vegan or vegetarian, I have a problem with others telling me that because I eat meat that somehow I am inferior to them.I am not saying that you have or anyone else, just a general overall feeling I get from speaking to Vegans.

The bible contradicts itself and everything must be taken into context. To say we should or shouldn't do something because the bible says so, depends on how you interpert it, and whether or not you believe in it at all.

I too believe in choice either way.Personnal choice.Just don't tell me that I'm wrong for choosing my way.If when we meet in heaven and God says I can't come in because I ate meat,then so be it.

Little Minnie,
I hope you are feeling better and can get through this little bump in the road.we are here to support each other no matter what and we do try.
I have never tried tofu and soy is NOT my best friend so i hope you find something to work out for you.Food seems like such a chore anymore.We have to constantly be thinking about what we put in our mouths and man that is exhausting.

Sending good thoughts your way
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: for the above two comments new
      #338476 - 11/24/08 07:23 AM
osbo54

Little Minnie, you are a gem. Loved your post!!!

Listen, as far as diet goes, I don't even waste my time with the meat substitutes. After all, why try to duplicate something that you wouldn't want to eat anyway.

I make a tofu spaghetti that is pretty good. After all, tofu absorbs the flavor of whatever it is cooked with. If you get the extra frim, it can be like a meat substitute, if that is what you are looking for.

I tend to make alot of soups, stews, and casseroles, along with a good bread. I am not really fond of beans, but when they are well mashed up and seasoned, they can be incorporated into many dishes. Kind of disguised, if you know what I mean.

My daughter is a vegetarian and she likes this eggless soufle I used to make. I made it on the stove top and it was pretty tasty. It involved adding cauliflower and broccoli, but I know they can be no-no's for some. I haven't made in in years, but I am sure you could substitute some root veggies instead. I will try to find that recipe, but I can't make any promises. My daughter is a vegetarian and she is now 34, so the little rat may have swiped my recipe.

I will look through my files and see if I can find something that might give more substance to your meals. As Heather has found, I guess you need to try other cuisines, and experiment. You have probably have tried that, right?

On the 4th of July this year, at my daughter's house, she bought a really good veggie burger. I had tried many and did not like the taste, but this one was delish! She has a separate grill for her veggies to avoid cross-contamination, and believe me she can get creative. I will see if she can get me the name of that brand.

I know it can get difficult at times, but just know that I understand, and I applaud you!

Lynn

#338477 - 11/24/08 07:52 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Ah, it is SO nice to hear other people say exactly how I feel. I just decided long ago that I can't look my three cats in the eye and love them as much as I do, but turn around and eat OTHER animals. To me, a living being is a living being. Small family farms are one thing, in my opinion they are not the problem. The problem is the HUGE factory farms where animals are tortured and abused their whole lives. It saddens me that this cruelty is "okay", and I swear I'll never eat another living creature. My daughter - soon to be born in just over 4 weeks! - will also be raised vegan. Meat is NOT healthy and is not a necessary part of a healthy diet.

My two cents.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 414 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review