Post deleted by

Edited by Lyndeigh (06/14/15 12:54 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Underweight and Breastfeeding. Im scared! new
      #338235 - 11/18/08 06:45 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Lyndeigh--I can relate! I am 5'5" and I weighed 110 lbs when I was nursing my first baby. She was a big one, too--9 lbs, 9ozs at birth!

I had absolutely no trouble producing enough milk for her. The most important things are to rest (VERY IMPORTANT), eat a well-balanced diet, and continue to take your maternity vitamins. I think the calorie intake for a nursing woman is more than normal, so you should check with your gyno about that.

I nursed all four of my children, despite being a lightweight. They were all healthy and well-fed.

You'll do fine. Your baby's pediatrician will be able to tell you how well the baby is thriving when you go for her routine checkups. The doctor will let you know if you need to supplement the breastfeeding in any way.

#338248 - 11/18/08 08:24 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Your body will kep the weight. Just like karen said keep eating healthey and taking your vitimins and the baby will be fine. As long as your bodys healthy the baby will fine what it needs. Good luck with breastfedding. I tried with my daughter and just couldn't do it. Don't give up on it its the best thing for them. Lots of luck and love to you and your baby!! Do you know what your having?
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

n new
      #338256 - 11/18/08 09:25 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

n

#338273 - 11/18/08 11:42 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

The biggest thing with having a baby and rember this is YOUR in charge DO WHATS YOU and your husband thinks is right!! No matter who gets mad! They taught us in lamaze class that baby comes first!! My daughter is 3 now and my mom still doen't understand why we give her 1% milk and not whole caue thats what me and my sisters always drank. Just do whats you thinks right and trust me everthing will fall into place. My husband wanted me to breastfeed and like I said before I couldn't and felt so bad but he was very undrstanding. don't worry you'll be fine! xxx
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#338359 - 11/20/08 10:42 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

My weight was low when I got pg (just couldn't gain a pound even though I tried). I am 5'3" and now weigh about 103lbs. And my 7 month old has been exclusively breastfed since day 1! Not a drop of formula. We can't even get her to take a bottle...with breastmilk! And she's a big girl. Over 19lbs. at 7 months. Quite the chunker. So don't worry about your weight. Your body knows what to do. I gained about 40lbs. while pg (yikes!). And now I weigh less than when I got pg. I exercise every day. And I try to eat well. And I still take my vitamins. Don't stress about it. Give breastfeeding your best shot. It's an amazing experience. And so good for your baby. I still cherish my time with my daughter when she's nursing. I'll be sad when it's over some day. Good luck! And don't worry about what your mom says. Things are way different now. Do what's best for you and your baby.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#338387 - 11/21/08 10:05 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Lyndeigh,

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you are eating and, believe me, your body will let you know when to eat while bf! I was ravenous for the first 8 or 9 months of breastfeeding. I breastfed 2 children while at a low weight.(Sometimes as low as 90 lbs.) Despite my doctor's dire warnings and blood tests to prove that I was malnourished, nothing was ever found to be wrong. I'm not even anemic. I am no longer breastfeeding (my baby is growing up) I rarely make it above 90lbs, but I feel pretty good and my kids are fine too

It is a wonderful bonding experience and babies derive enormous comfort from it. It hurts at first, but don't give up because soon you will be able to do it without batting an eye. And nothing is easier to prepare in the middle of the night than breastmilk!

Laura

#338630 - 11/27/08 07:18 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi there Lyndeigh!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I don't have any experience but I'd just say at least try breastfeeding. After all you will notice after a while what happens to your weight and the weight and other measurements of your baby. The OBGYN nurse or doctor will tell you if there is a problem.

I don't know if you've seen these plastic (or whatever they're made of) "cups" you can use if the baby has problems "getting hold of" your nipples or if the nipples get sore. Anyway, those can cause problems since a lot of the milk tends to end up all over the place and not just in the baby's mouth. My sister used those things for a while but stopped when it turned out her baby had to work too hard to get enough milk with those. (Getting rid of them also meant she didn't have to breastfeed as often or for as long a time as she did while she was using them.)

Good luck with everything now! I will post an update on what's going on in my life right now soon. We hope to be able to start trying for kids soon too.

/Ulrika

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2754

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review