All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone use Mirena??
      #337454 - 10/27/08 05:49 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Hey everyone I had a question. Does anyone have any comments positive or negative about the bc Mirena? I am scheduled to have one put in November. My cycle has been so long and irregular and my doctor told me that it will help with this. Also my hubby doesn't have to have a vasectomy since we are pretty much done having kids. But the Mirena does give us the option to have another if we were to change our minds in the next couple of years. Just was curious what people thought about it! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone use Mirena?? new
      #337457 - 10/27/08 06:43 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I dont have any comments except that I WANT this! Are you getting the hormone one, or the other??
The hormone one will make your periods lighter and regular, but it doesn't last as long (I think like 5 years versus 10).
My insurance doesn't cover this - does yours?!? So b/c of that, I opted for Seasonique and have been on it for 3 months now. So far I hate it b/c I have had breakthrough bleeding NONSTOP. They keep saying to wait it out...I'm giving it 3 more months and that's it!

--------------------
~Cara~

#337471 - 10/28/08 07:19 AM
LaurenS

Reged: 06/06/08
Loc: Alabama

I do and I have since my youngest was born almost 7 years ago. I love it! I got my first Mirena 6 weeks after my son was born, then had it replaced after 5 years. I sometimes have some light spotting, but haven't had anything like a normal period, and the severe IBS I got with it, in years. I didn't do well with the hormones in bc pills, but the hormones in the Mirena don't bother me at all. My insurance did pay for it, but I called the insurance company first to make sure.

#337477 - 10/28/08 09:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I looked into this as well and would opt for it now except I have been banned from anything hormonal because of my past blood clotting history. I have considered the copper IUD, which is non hormonal, but it can actually make your periods longer, heavier and more painful-um, no thanks!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#337498 - 10/28/08 02:40 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I'm on my second one as well and LOVE it!! I had trouble with really heavy flows and irregular patterns too, and with the Mirena I have virtually no period, just spotting for 2-3 days every 28. I got mine because I had an etopic 6 years ago and was told no natural babies for me, invetro only if I wanted them. The DH and I aren't planning on kids so the Mirena is ideal for us. The only thing was this time they left the wire a little short and my poor husband got poked until it was repositioned. Luckily, my new health plan covered it - it's pricey at $400 CAD. My first wasn't covered, but it was well worth the money! And think of all the feminine products you don't have to buy!!

Good luck with your decision,

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#337514 - 10/28/08 06:04 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Thanks ladies! Most of the responses I got from my other friends were pretty positive as well. I did have to check with my doctor again before scheduling because I have had an ectopic and they say you might not want to take it if you have had one. My doctor feels pretty confident that it shouldn't be a problem. I also have clotting issues but this new Mirena only focuses on the uterus and doesn't put all the hormones through your blood stream. Plus it contains more testonrone? ( I think) Anyways she has a patient who has 3 clotting factors and has been taking the Mirena for a while and is doing fine. I only have 2 of these disorders and my hematologist said it is fine. So I has to schedule it at the tail end of my cycle?? Yeah well I guessed on that since I am not very predictable and my cycles are so long. I am really looking forward to the short light periods!!!

#337615 - 11/01/08 12:47 PM
als2111

Reged: 03/30/08

I have it and it is great, no problems at all. Insurance covered it and it has no estrogen in it only progesterone which is why I used it with all the breast cancer in my family.

how about the depo shot?? new
      #337616 - 11/01/08 01:15 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I'm debating trying it...any experiences to share??

--------------------
IBS-A

What the heck is it? nt new
      #337620 - 11/01/08 01:38 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2759

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review