All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Effexor or Wellbutrin?
      #337431 - 10/27/08 11:37 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Has anyone taken both of these, and do you have a preference??

I was all set to take the Effexor last night, and I chickened out! I don't know what to do and I can't make up my mind. I had such bad side effects with Zoloft, and I'm afraid the same thing will happen.

Lately I've been going out for drinks with my friends every other week too, and it says 'do not drink alcohol', and I'm worried about this too! Do you not drink AT ALL when you take these meds? Like not even a glass of wine once in awhile?

Thank you so much for anyone's help!!

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Effexor or Wellbutrin? new
      #337453 - 10/27/08 05:45 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Cara-
I don't know much about the Effexor at all. All I can tell you is that I do have alcohol with the Wellbutrin. I don't drink often but if I go out once a month with friends I will have a glass of wine or two. If I think it might be more then I don't take my pill that night. I take it at night so as not to be drowsy during the day. I also only take 150mg of it. The doctor told me I could take two a day but to start out with one as see how that worked. I don't like taking medicine so I started with the one and stuck with it. I really had no side effects from the Wellbutrin, but I also had been on Lexapro for a year. With the Lexapro I had some nausea for about 3 days and night sweats for about a week. I also was really tired taking it during the day so my doctor told me to take it at night before I went to bed. That seemed to work. The best advice I can tell you is to relax and talk with your doctor and decide which is best for you. HTH!

#337458 - 10/27/08 06:45 PM
Cara4503

Thanks Angela. I read a bunch about effexor today, and I'm not going to take it. I just feel like I shoudn't medicate myself if it's not a dire necessity, especially with the hundreds of horrible things people wrote about it. There was about 1 good comment in every 20 horrible comments....so that's not good.
I think for now I'll just stick with the xanax when I need it. I just don't want to get too addicted is all! And I think that if I really think I need something in a month or so, I'll look into Wellbutrin instead!

Anyways, thanks so much for the response!

--------------------
~Cara~

#337480 - 10/28/08 10:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The drinking thing is because the alcohol can increase the sedation effect. Having a few drinks now and than should be just fine. I have never had a problem drinking on any of the ad's I have been on. Remember that when you look on line for reviews of drugs, you are more likely to find bad reviews because people complain more when something happens the don't like. People generally don't take the time to go on line and give praises when something works like its supposed to.

I know taking medications can be very scary and add to your anxiety, especially when reading all the horror stories. But you have to decide how much your anxiety is affecting your life. I take some nasty drugs not because I want to but because I need them to have anything that resembles a life. Try not to focus on what MIGHT happen as far as the side effects go but on how much they could improve your life. IF you do get intolerable side effects, you can stop the medication, the side effects are not permanent from the medications you are talking about.

Effexor is one of the few that I haven't tried. I did take lexapro which is similar and really liked it. The Wellbutrin can actually help you lose weight but it did upset my tummy.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#337497 - 10/28/08 02:37 PM
Cara4503

Thanks Michele! You're definately right - I guess I never thought of it that way - people only really go online to complain....hmm...now you got me all back and forth again - haha!
The thing is, all of the complaints were about weaning off ot it, and how it is near impossible and that people have been trying for years and have the worst withdrawel symptoms ever. I know I can't say for sure that'll happen to me, but at this point why take the chance when I'm not having anxiety everyday? That's kinda how I feel right now.

I am trying different 'spiritual' ways to get rid of the anxiety...I always feel like if there is a way to do it w/o medicine, try it. I get so nervous about different meds interating or whatever.

Anyways....how are you lately?? You never emailed back about your eye but I just read above about it! Email me when you get a chance. I'm thinking about you!!

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 588 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1594

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review