All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gallbladder surgery!
      #337261 - 10/24/08 06:56 AM
MicheleLynn

Reged: 10/22/08
Loc: Hartland, WI, USA

Well, I thought it was just my IBS acting up again but after lots of stomach pain for days I finally went to the doctor yesterday morning...he sent me to the ER for tests right away. After being in the ER from 9am-5pm and lots of tests I have gall stones and my gallbladder isn't functioning properly! They sent me home with some pain meds, heartburn meds and a list of surgeons. I called and made an appointment to meet with a highly recommended surgeon next week. I am hopeful that this will help alleviate a lot of my stomach problems! Either way they said it has to come out!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gallbladder surgery! new
      #337289 - 10/24/08 01:51 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Well just hold on there.Find out if there is another way to getrid of the stones instead of removing your gallbladder.
I had mine out in Feb and my Ibs has been so outta whack.
It messes with your system.No longer will you be able to digest fatty foods.You could end up with cronic d.They don't think that is a problem but they don't have to live with it!
My IBS flared so back after,the doc said I probably never had IBS it was always the gallbladder.Ahhhhh....wrong! I've gotten it under control now but I can not eat french fries.At all.Tried many differents places and ways and they are totally out.I still get severe pain where my gallbladder was when I eat fatty things.I even have had the odd attack since.They tell me that is normal!Right so why is my gallbladder gone ? Well mine was infected and I had a stone stuck.So it had to go.
So get another opinion and stay away from ALL dairy and cut the fat out as much as possible.
Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#337293 - 10/24/08 02:07 PM
MicheleLynn

No way around it, I have stones and it showed on the nuclear two-hour test that it isn't functioning properly and is enlarged so they want it out immediately. It is pressing up on my esophogas making it feel like constant bad heartburn too. I have read about having chronic D after having it removed but I have it anyway and it has to come out so I am just going to have to hope for the best. The pain is pretty bad so I am ready to have it out. He said most people will stop having D after a few weeks. I don't eat dairy or much fat anyway. I am of course scared that this can make it worse but I feel so crappy anyway and we know these docs personally and trust them. My surgery is tomorrow morning, pray for me! I have heard lots of people I know that have actually felt better after having their gallbladders out, I sure hope I am one of them. I also read of a medicine that Heather Van Vorous talks about on this site somewhere that there is a daily med you can take if you have "bile D" from having your gallbladder removed? Have you tried that?

#337296 - 10/24/08 02:37 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Just wanted to butt in real quick and say that I had my gallbladder out when I was 3 weeks pregnant with my son. I had to - it was HORRIBLE and probably the worst pain in my life (and I had my daughter naturally). It was so bad it was affecting my pancreas.
Anyways, I do not have chronic D, and I was an IBS-D prior to that. Of course I occasionally have D, but I think everyone in the world does right??
But - I do not eat much fat either in regular meals..I rarely eat red meat either. I do, however, eat a butt load of chocolate and dairy everyday which I know is fatty, but it doesn't give me D anymore.
You just never know how your body will react, just do what you gotta do!

--------------------
~Cara~

#337300 - 10/24/08 03:40 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I had my gallbladder out several years ago and what a relief! It was a relatively easy surgery. Just take care of yourself post-op. I don't have D....I'm actually C but have a hard time with fried/fatty foods and can't tolerate dairy at all.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

to Lauren new
      #337301 - 10/24/08 04:09 PM
MicheleLynn

Thank you, I needed to hear that. Since it has to come out I am trying to be positive. I have been praying the last week continually that God would provide an answer and Thursday sounded like an answer to prayer...they finally found something that was actually causing some of my pain and discomfort! When we got to the ER the only doctor on call was our friend (he said he had his gallbladder out a couple years ago and only has D when he eats fatty foods)and then the best surgeon around is best friends with another friend of ours...he is usually booked and my friend called and got me right in as a favor. Seems like a short recovery time for pain they said 3 days to two weeks for most people.
Thanks again!

Re: Gallbladder surgery! to Cara new
      #337302 - 10/24/08 04:14 PM
MicheleLynn

Thank you so much! That is very encouraging, I am starting to get anxious since it is already 6pm and surgery is at 7:30am. The doctor thinks this really could help, no guarantees of course. I feel it is an answer to prayers for help and some kind of relief!

#337303 - 10/24/08 04:25 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

same here! I got mine out a few years ago bc it was inflamed and not functioning...so I'm SO glad I did it! Recovery wasn't bad, but wasn't fun...it is surgery, after all! But the pain is minimal...especially compared to what it was before!!
I get D only with really fatty foods and I'm an IBS-A.
Stay positive! There is a reason the gallbladder has to go, so I wish you ALL the best!:)

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Gallbladder surgery! to Cara new
      #337304 - 10/24/08 05:00 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Michele,

It will be fine. It is pretty easy as surgeries go, with a quick recovery time. I had mine out 7 years ago and remained C, up until last year. I don't think it causes D for everyone. I have D now due to a horrible year last year, but I don't think it is in any way related to the gall bladder, since that was in 2001.

I think that medication is called something like, Questrain, or something like that. I will look to see if I can find the actual name.

You will be just fine. The only thing that I have found after the removal was I am a bit more gassy, especially if I eat fried, fatty foods. Other than that, no problems.

Lynn

Re: Gallbladder surger- Michelle Lynn new
      #337305 - 10/24/08 05:11 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

You'll be in my prayers. God will keep you safe, He'll guide the hands and mind of the surgeon and you'll recover quickly!
They keep checking mine about twice a year, but so far no stones, but I often wonder if it is really functioniong correctly - just don't want to go through any more tests -
color me chicken! My daughter developed gallstones when she was pregnant - they thought they would have to remove it before she delivered, but she ate an almost totally fat free diet and maintained until the baby was about 6 weeks old. Her surgery went fine and she's had no problems other than some gas pains and some diarrhea when she eats too much fat. It will be a piece of cake and you'll be 100% better!
Blessings & Prayers - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#337322 - 10/25/08 07:08 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I was told to take a digestive enzyme with oxbile in it.I don't but i avoid fatty foods as much as possible. I did take slippery Elm to clear up the d and it worked in two days. Good luck with your surgery, I hope you feel relief soon.!Oh and just a warning, you're gonna be farting ALOT!lol
Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: to Lauren new
      #337368 - 10/25/08 01:23 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I had my gallbladder out 4 weeks postpartum with my first. I had gallbladder attacks all through my pregnancy. Awful. I thought at first it was my back because I have always had a bad back. I went in to the hospital on a couple different occasions before they found anything. I had dozens of stones. Bad stuff. I got such relief from the surgery.

Now, I don't know if the gallbladder being out is the cause of my IBS issue or not but I'm certainly not D. I'm C almost all of the time. If I go a little crazy with fried/fatty foods...I pay. D and nausea. I just avoid them.

Thinking about you and hoping for a swift and easy surgery.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Thank you GaGa new
      #337502 - 10/28/08 02:51 PM
MicheleLynn

Surgery went fine and I came home on Sunday, my bowels are trying to start working today and I am having major cramping! The pain from the operation is lessening every day and I am able to shuffle around the house and sit up in bed now. Thank you for your prayers! God has gotten me through everything so far, this too shall pass!

Re: Gallbladder surgery! to Lynn new
      #337503 - 10/28/08 02:54 PM
MicheleLynn

Thank you for your encouragement, I am feeling yucky today but it is only Tuesday and the surgery was Saturday. Lots of bad cramping and gas as my stomach "wakes up." They said that is normal and may last a little while as my system gets used to not having a gallbladder. I see the surgeon on Friday for a check up and hope I will be able to stop taking Advil by then (it hurts my stomach after a while). But I am doing good I guess.

Re: Gallbladder surgery! Thanks Aly new
      #337505 - 10/28/08 02:57 PM
MicheleLynn

Thank you for your response, it helps reading about others who have been through this. I still feel bad but it's only three days after surgery so I am trying to be patient. I have no appetite yet, eating oatmeal and toast and bananas only so I can take my advil! Lots of gas cramps today, very uncomfortable but they said very normal and should dissapate soon.

Re: to Lauren new
      #337506 - 10/28/08 03:00 PM
MicheleLynn

Thanks for your post, it helps reading about others who have gone through this, lots of pain and gas today but it's only been three days (surgery was Saturday). My ER doctor had his gallbladder out a few years ago and he only gets D when he waits like all day before he eats, he is very healthy looking and says he doesn't eat fried or high fat foods anyway so that is hopeful. I don't eat like that either so hopefully I will be fine in time.

Re: Gallbladder surgery! to dragonfly new
      #337507 - 10/28/08 03:02 PM
MicheleLynn

You are right about the gas! Holy cow! I thought I had gas before! I am cramping bad today but I am a little C from all the pain meds? Only three days into recovery so hopefully the pain will dissapate quickly!

Re: Gallbladder surgery! to Michele new
      #337508 - 10/28/08 04:05 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Oh sweetie, you will be better in no time. Just remember if you had it out laparoscopically (which I am assuming you did by your recovery time), you will be a bit more gassy than usual. That is due to the fact that they have to kind of blow your stomach up a little to be able to get in there to take it out.

It will only take you about a week to feel pretty good, so give it a little time. I remember those first couple of days I was gassy and sore, but with each day I got better, and so will you.

Keep us all posted on your recovery, and take it easy and give your body time to recover. Don't jump back in to your routine too quickly.

Be well! Lynn

Re: Gallbladder surgery! Thanks Aly new
      #337512 - 10/28/08 05:41 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Michele,
Oh I remember those gas pains! yuck! They do get MUCH better and soon! I didn't really eat much for about a week after the election. Remember to watch your fat intake bigtime! I had some peanut butter and remember being in TONS of pain from it...so be careful. (btw, I eat peanut butter all the time now, it was just bad right after the surgery)
Keep up with the advil, lots of water and rest. I'm wishing you ALL the best for a speedy recovery. Also remember not to lift anything heavy! I had a terrible time remembering that!

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5154

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review