All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Looong time! I have a question about Effexor if anyone is taking it!
      #337188 - 10/21/08 06:06 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hi everyone! I don't recognize most of the names on here anymore since it's probably been a couple years or more since I've been on here.

I have been having a lot of anxiety issues lately, as I have in the past...but I finally got up the nerve to talk to my doctor and she wants me to try Effexor.

This is b/c I have tried Zoloft before, and it destroyed my sex drive. She said there are 3 in that same class as Zoloft, so I should probably stay away from those, and this is the next best choice. She also said I could try Wellbutrin, but that that works better for depression, which I don't have.

So - I am very nervous to start this new drug and want to know if anyone is on it and what your side effects are? Do you like it? Should I try it?

I currently take xanax about 1 out of 4 days to sleep at night. (Most of my anxiety is at night and I never take xanax during the day b/c it wipes me out) I just want something for my anxiety during the days that makes it very hard for me (I have 2 very small children).

Thanks in advance for any advise!!

I haven't had a chance to look through posts but I might just to see what everyone is up to that I recognize!! Hope you are all doing well.

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looong time! I have a question about Effexor if anyone is taking it! new
      #337207 - 10/22/08 09:19 AM
MicheleLynn

Reged: 10/22/08
Loc: Hartland, WI, USA

I am brand new to the boards and just posted about anxiety too! I was on Effexor XL 75mg for about three years. It worked GREAT for the first two and a half and then started losing it's effectiveness (I started having IBS-D again and anxiety) they wanted to put me on a higher dose but I decided to just get off and try another anti-depressant. After trying several I am not on anything b/c I can't seem to tolerate them! If you have anxiety and IBS-D I would give Effexor XL a try. I have to warn you I felt like cr-- the first week or two getting on it (sweating, chills, nausea...I thought I was getting the flu) but after that it was soooo worth it. Getting off was hard too, take time to wean off, I had to take xanax to wean myself off of it and now that I am not on anything I take xanax occasionally. I am thinking of getting back on Effexor since I have been off it a year maybe it will work again as well as it did when I started taking it the first time. Good luck!

#337213 - 10/22/08 11:07 AM
Cara4503

Thank you!!
Ok, so do you think I should try it, even when it eventually wore off for you?
I'm just wondering if I should just suck it up and just take xanax when I need it...b/c I don't have anxiety EVERY day, it's just mainly when I travel, have company over, or my husband is gone at night. Oh - and as soon as someone says they have any flu like symptoms my anxiety goes nuts. But most days I am just fine. So...I dont know if I should start this medicine and be on it long term if I really don't need it everyday?? I just can't make up my mind.

I'm afraid that in a few years when I decide to go off of it, my anxiety will come back just b/c in my head I'll be thinking 'I'm off the meds, oh no'. Is that how you felt when you were weaning off of it?

Thanks so much for the reply!!

--------------------
~Cara~

#337215 - 10/22/08 12:09 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hey girlfriend, didn't expect to run into you here! LOL!!

I say TRY IT!! Expect some crappy stuff the first week or two while you are adjusting than give it 3 months as some of these meds can take a while to get the full benefit.

Don't worry about what MIGHT happen if and when you decide/need to go off it-one problem-one anxiety at a time!!

I LOVED lexapro which is similar to effexor but can't take it because of the damage done to my heart from the sarcoidosis. I'm now a cymbalta girl but thats more for depression and pain, not sure if it helps with anxiety at all.

Is it your turn to email me or my turn to email you??!!
I've got some new so I will email you!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#337219 - 10/22/08 03:13 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have to admit, I took this for awhile for depression and it destroyed my sex-drive, which prompted my doctor to try switching me to Wellbutrin. Effexor worked great, I just got tired of the side effects. It also made my C a whole lot worse; I was amazed at how bad ADs made my C once I finally got off of them.

So I eventually tried switching from Effexor to Wellbutrin, and the withdrawal was AWFUL. I was nauseous and dizzy and got migraines. It was horrible. So rather than increase my Wellbutrin, my doc stopped everything, and I felt much better once I was off of everything.

If you don't think you need it all the time, then maybe you should try something else. Also, since you seem to know the specific instances that cause you anxiety, perhaps seeing a therapist or counselor would be better for you. I did this while I was taking the ADs, and it helped a lot. They can teach you techniques for dealing with the particular situations that cause you anxiety, then maybe you can just take the Xanax as needed.... Just something to think about.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#337225 - 10/22/08 05:37 PM
MicheleLynn

Reged: 10/22/08
Loc: Hartland, WI, USA

I felt like I was out of options when I got on Effexor. I had gone from 155pounds to 114pounds because I stopped eating since everything I ate gave me IBS-D. It stopped the D within a couple weeks completly as well as the anxiety and I didn't have any cramps (during my period) or lower back pain. I needed those few years of relief. It was hard to get off of and I did take xanax to get off and I occasionally have to take xanax now. I get anxious when my husband travels (which is about seven months out of the year because he works in Major League Baseball), when I travel (fly or drive longer than an hour), when I have plans to go out or have people over and when I start to feel sick (I had a panic attack earlier this week because my heartburn hurt so bad I thought I was going to die)! Sounds like a lot but most days I am fine. I just choose what I REALLY want to do and who I REALLY want to see so I don't waste time and energy getting stressed out with a busy social schedule. I am going to start seeing a Christian counselor and hopefully she can help with the anxiety and maybe my stomach will settle down. BUT, if it doesn't then I will get back on Effexor or maybe even try Cymbalta since I have heard it is similar to Effexor. Quality of life it the key and right now mine is not so hot!

#337228 - 10/22/08 06:18 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Hey Cara!! It's good to hear from you. I have sent you a few forwards here and there but haven't e-mailed you in awhile. You sound like you are going through the same thing I went through. I was on Lexapro for a year and it did wonders for my anxiety and IBS. I never had an attack on it. However my sex drive was horrible!! Finally this summer I talked to my doctor about it since we were taking 10 year trip to the Bahamas and I wanted some romance and fun! Well I weaned off the Lexapro very very slowly while adding Wellbutrin in. The Lexapro was very hard to wean off of. I had some weird withdrawl symptoms. I am now on Wellbutrin only 1 pill a day of 150mg and I found that it is working ok for my anxiety. I am more emotional than I was on the Lexapro. I swear I was so mellow on it. But I do have to say my sex drive is right back where it should be! Which is nice. I have had a few attacks but nothing super bad. I figure it it keeps my IBS to a minium and I have my libido back then it is worth it. My doctor said that Wellbutin can work for anxiety too, not just depression. Which I don't suffer from. I hope that helps. E-mail if you have anymore questions. And send some pics of the kids soon if you have any!

And Michele what kind of news do you have??? Anything good?

Hey Angela!!! new
      #337246 - 10/23/08 02:05 PM
Cara4503

How are you? I hear ya on the sex drive thing - that's what happened to me on Zoloft - it was such a weird feeling, really, to have ZERO sex drive. I can't believe you stayed on it as long as you did!

I'm still going back and forth. I really don't want to go on anything if I don't HAVE to....I'm thinking I'll wait a couple weeks and document my anxiety and just make sure I really want to try something. And maybe I'll look into Wellbutrin now that you say that. I just figured it was better for depression!

I'll put some pics of the kids on here! They will be 3 and 1 in December. Can you believe how fast they grow? I was on these boards with you waaay before I even got pregnant the first time! That's so weird! I really have no IBS problems anymore so I even stopped lurking for a long time.

Anyways - here's the kiddos: And I want to see pics of your kids too!

--------------------
~Cara~

Thanks Lisa! new
      #337247 - 10/23/08 02:14 PM
Cara4503

I really appreciate it. I think I am going to wait a little bit like you said, and just see how I do. I am so afriad of the side effects!!! And I'm afraid of weaning off of meds too.
But like Michele said...I need to not worry about things until I need to - I have problems with that!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Hey Angela!!! new
      #337251 - 10/23/08 06:02 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I know what you mean. I didn't really want to be on an AD either but it has helped. I can't believe how big your kids are! They are so cute! It amazes me that they are 1 and 3 already. Time does just flies by. Noah will be 5 in January and Ava will be 2 at the end of November! Here are some pics!

[image][/image]

Noah had his first day of Preschool. He loves it!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review