All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Depression?
      #337184 - 10/21/08 02:04 PM
shannon07

Reged: 10/21/08

Hey everyone, i just recently (about a month ago) found this site and drastically changed my diet and eating habits. Its been going pretty well, Ive felt such a huge change as has my husband and co-workers. The problem now is I am so frustrated. I hate eating, I find no joy in mealtime, i hate feeling hungry because I am beginning to feel like my diet is so limited. I hate cooking and rarely due so and that makes choices limited. I feel like i could cry at any moment if i think about food, i hate watching everyone else eat whatever they want without any thought for it. Does anyone else feel this or have gone through this?
I feel like I might need to take meds maybe it would improve my mood and appetite and ability to accept my restrictions, but i feel like meds might also be perceived as a crutch, like I myself cant handle my own feelings and frustrations. How much does depression run with IBS and for how long?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Depression? new
      #337191 - 10/21/08 07:53 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey there.Yes thi sis a normal thing to feel.we have all felt the way you do and it will get better.It depends on how long you've suffered,how severe and what you are doing to help yourself.
GaGa will tell you that the meds are there to help when you need it and though not a solution,you do what you need to do to get through and feel better.

How are you feeling besides the depression? Are your symptoms better? If so then as you get used to the efi diet and start to incorporate new food back into it, you will also begin to feel better. remember that it took a long time for your body to "bite back" and it can't be fixed overnight. Sounds hard but it does get much better.we all have slip ups where we get sad for a few days but I think everyone or mostly everyone bounces back in a few days.

It sure is life changing but eating this way is what will make you feel better. Try mixing things up,Don't have rice everyday , Use pasta and potatoes as replacements. Have chicken or fish.there are alot of different kinds of fish so try different ones.Check out the recipes on this site and see if any will suit your needs. Munch all day on safe snacks so at supper you don't feel as hungry then all that "other" food won't be so tempting to you.

Most all remember you are in control of what you eat.It will get better.at some point you will be able to try other foods again and life is just too special to be depressed about food.Yes it's good but the little things are what really count.
You will find alot of support here just keep asking.
good luck.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: IBS and Depression? new
      #337201 - 10/22/08 07:18 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am right there with you! Belive me when I say you are not alone. If you search my post you will find alot of them. I feel like this everyday! I get so very sick of eating the same foods over na over again. They say check the recipe board that has helped some but when your limted that can be trickey to. I have tried new foods like blueberries and added them in my diet. I do alot of reading and trying to find new recipes. But its still jus tthe same food uh! When all you want is a pizza! Anitidepressants can help ibs but everyone is differant its a choice you have to make. There are some good recipes out there if your just willing to give them a try. Some of mine are crockpot chicken stew, bluberry muffins, Choclate cake mix with pumpkin, peach blueberry smoothies. Thats a few like everything else it gets old to. Just hang in there its not worth being sick if you need anyone to talk to I am here. hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Dragon fly this made me feel better today thank you!-nt new
      #337202 - 10/22/08 07:20 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Glad to help! nt new
      #337209 - 10/22/08 09:52 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1466

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review