All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
"Bathroom" pregnancy questions!!!
      #336986 - 10/14/08 08:57 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I feel very fortunate to have all of you out there, because I don't think I could ask these questions of any of my friends! I'm in my 3rd trimester now, and I'm definitely feeling it. The constipation is getting bad, and so is the gas. Well, one day I won't be able to "go", then the next day I can't STOP going! I REALLY try to not take anything if I can help it. My Yogi Stomach Ease tea helps sometimes with the gas, and there's also Bentyl which I can take as needed (but I try to limit). I'm guessing this sudden increase in symptoms is all pregnancy-related and not really from IBS??

Sorry, but this is where I have to get a little "gross"... One thing I've noticed during the last week or two is a lot of "pressure" when I'm sitting on the toilet. Even though I get C occasionally, when it finally comes out everything is soft, not hard, because I take Natural Calm every night. But I still feel this pressure, like if I push the slightest bit for a BM, stuff that shouldn't come out WILL come out! Do you know what I'm talking about? Is this from the baby or my colon not being empty or what?? It's nerve-wracking; probably because I'm worried about getting hemorroids or something.

Any other moms out there care to weigh in on this one??

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Bathroom" pregnancy questions!!! new
      #336996 - 10/14/08 11:55 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Lisa Marie,

The pressure that you feel.....do you actually feel like there is more poop in there that just will not come out...something like incomplete evacuation? Is this pressure there only when sitting on the toilet?? If you have not experienced this before pregnancy and feel like you are emptying your bowels when having a BM, I really believe that the pressure has something to do with the positioning of the baby's head while you're in that particular position. I know that a lot of women in later pregnancy have a constant pressure on their bladder or lower back pain so hopefully the baby's position is the cause. I really wish I could be more helpful.

Sincerely,
Sharon

#336999 - 10/14/08 12:26 PM
Lisa Marie

I really don't think it's incomplete evacuation...but I can't say for sure! I also feel it when I'm just urinating, and don't have an "urge" to have a BM.... I'm hoping it IS just the baby, it's just a very weird feeling! And it just started within the last two weeks. Does the baby suddenly change position as you enter the third trimester or something? Is she primarily head down at this point?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#337002 - 10/14/08 01:13 PM
sharond

I just looked up some info on third trimester and it said the baby will start to move to the "head down" position around the 30 week time period. So maybe she is starting to move and the shift is putting pressure on the rectal muscles. I know all too well about the pressure you are talking about. I have muscle issues in the rectal area and went through several sessions of physical therapy for it. I did and still do lots and lots of stretching for the pelvic area. I don't want to sound gross, but what sometimes helps is if the pressure is really bad is to lay down on your side, use some k-y gel, a latex glove and massage the rectal area (inside and out). It helps the blood flow and if muscles are tight, may give some relief.

Since you have not had this before I have to believe that her positioning is putting pressure on some of those muscles. You may want to call your doctor and just run it by her/him.....at least they would be able to tell you if it's one of the symptoms of the third trimester.

Sharon

#337032 - 10/15/08 12:52 PM
Lisa Marie

Thanks for the advice! I think you are right, a combo of baby's head and some incomplete evacuation... I've gotten a LOT out of my system over the last 24 hours, and I feel a little better today! I still notice a little pressure when I'm urinating, and I think that's baby. But at other times I feel it there AND farther back, so I think that's the other thing... At least I'm beginning to be able to tell the difference between the two! So I guess it seems that I need to make sure I take enough magnesium every night to just about give me D, and that will help! Boy, the next 2 months should be fantastic!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#337036 - 10/15/08 01:13 PM
sharond

Another little useful trick to help with constipation is Blackstrap Molasses. But it has to be "Blackstrap". It's got a lot of calcium and potassium and is a natural laxative as well. I put a tablespoon in a cup of warm water and drink in the evening. Some people drink it with their evening meal. It has a different kind of taste, but I like it. Some also use it in tea or add rice/soy milk to the warm water concoction.

I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better and remember to post a "belly" picture soon.

Take care.
Sharon

n new
      #337088 - 10/17/08 06:38 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

n

Re: Lyndeigh new
      #337109 - 10/18/08 08:33 AM
Lisa Marie

Hey Lyndeigh, it's getting better.... for some reason, the 2nd-to-3rd trimester transition was very drastic! I think I just needed to adjust my Natural Calm dosage to help with the C. Up until now, I can honestly say my IBS has stayed in check, and hasn't bothered me at all! But C tends to increase during the 3rd trimester even if you DON'T have IBS, so I'm not too surprised by it.

I'm finally able to tell the difference between "baby pressure" and "need to go to the bathroom pressure", so that's helping! The gas has gotten a LOT better too, so I really think it must have been hormonally driven with the change in trimesters.

Luckily I work in an office (I'm an engineer) so I get up every half hour or so to walk around and/or go to the bathroom. Lately I've been thinking about taking a blanket into work so I can lay down on the floor once in awhile to stretch my back...!!

Are you feeling a lot of movement these days? Isn't it the coolest thing??? And your glucose test must be coming up soon....

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

n new
      #337137 - 10/20/08 05:29 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

n

Re: Lisa Marie new
      #337144 - 10/20/08 09:42 AM
Lisa Marie

Don't be scared! I know I was pretty nervous about it, but it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought. They just give you a small bottle of what tastes like flat minute maid. It was not syrup-y at all, and it didn't make me sick or anything. No biggie. Just make sure you eat a small, no-carb breakfast before you go - I just had a few scrambled eggs. AND make sure to take something high protein with you to eat after they draw your blood - you will be hungry!

As for the gluten, I would be surprised if it contained gluten, but I would try calling your lab (or whoever is administering the "glucola" as they call it) ahead of time rather than waiting until that day. It will give you some peace of mind.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine, but let us know. My result actually ended up being "low", so I was very relieved!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#337208 - 10/22/08 09:27 AM
laurafin

Reged: 10/22/08

Hi,
I am new to this website (today as a matter of fact! I am a pregnant 40 year old, just about 26 weeks along. This is my second child. My first daughter was born 9 years ago. I noticed with my first pregnancy that I became constipated in the second trimester. This is unusual for me, as my entire life, as long as I can remember, anyway, I've NEVER been constipated. I had cramping daily and usually went 3 to 6 times per day. My father has ulcerative colitis, and my brother has Crohn's. I've been tested for both, plus celiac disease, but both have turned up negative. With this pregnancy, I've had terrible diarrhea and cramping pretty much since the stick turned blue. The cramping is so bad that it nearly brings me to tears. One day, I went 16 times. I saw a show on TV last night about Habba syndrome and I thought perhaps there was my miracle diagnosis. Unfortunatley, after looking it up, I see that the sypmtoms I have do not match. Anyway, I do also have an antibody that shows possible Crohn's disease. This antibody showed up in a recent blood test. I was told 9 years ago that I DON'T have Crohn's simply because I didn't have the cobblestone pattern in my intestinal tract.
I am frustrated and in pain. This is truly affecting my social life, and it has gotten much worse with the pregnancy. I am incontinent nearly daily and as a matter of course had to go on sick leave from work because of the diarrhea. I also was not gaining enough weight, was dehydrated and my blood pressure got super low.
Because I am desperate for relief I am wondering if this IBS diet and the supplements that go with it, are safe to use during pregnancy? If anyone could help or support or encourage with this it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
L

#337220 - 10/22/08 03:18 PM
Lisa Marie

This diet is DEFINITELY safe for pregnancy! Start reading up on "soluble fiber" - there's tons of info on this site - and I think you will feel much better once you start increasing this in your diet. Also, I am pretty sure that OTC meds such as Immodium are safe during pregnancy, but check with your doc. Another med you might want to ask about is bentyl, which is an antispasmodic, and totally safe during pregnancy. I take this periodically for gas and gas pain, and one of its side effects is C, so that might help you as well.

Another thought - how much calcium do you get every day, from vitamins, supplements, food, etc.? On the few occasions I get D, I find that taking a calcium supplement really helps. So, consider adding a calcium supplement to your diet, even if you think you're already getting enough.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4839

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review