All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP! BACK SURGERY AND ANESTHESIA CREATES BIG TIME "C" PROBLEM!!!
      #336480 - 09/24/08 02:31 PM

Unregistered

Last week I had emergency back surgery due to a herniated disk. I went in to surgery with my C problem. (not going for five days!) and now because of all the pain killers and anesthesia I am having major, major problems. I started stool softeners in the hospital and did four fleet enemas when I came home but the only delivery was a few golf ball size ROCKS! I am so huge I look like I should be ready to deliver any day now. I can't fit any of my clothes and had to go buy a knit skirt just to fit into something. I am miserable! I still am trying to do Heathers diet, but at times I feel like I shouldn't be eating at all. A nurse told me to eat chocolate which she claimed to be a natural laxative, and of course others are saying to drink coffee. Both are not on Heathers diet either. (I did try them but to no avail. The chocolate soothed my nerves but that is about all!) I am concerned that this can turn into other problems, of which I don't know but can only imagine. Has anyone out there had surgeries and had this same problem? I need total relief! I have only gone a few rocks since my surgery a week ago! Of course all of this happened while we were out of state helping our son move! It has been nice to have family around but not fun to have surgery when you are not at home! It is painful to ride in a car and our nine hour trip usually creates C problems for me. I am afraid to travel without having this situation taken care of. The doctor doesn't seem to be too concerned, but he doesn't have to feel prego all the time either!!I need your suggestions and help. I am glad that I could turn to this forum, not too many people understand how I feel right now!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP! BACK SURGERY AND ANESTHESIA CREATES BIG TIME "C" PROBLEM!!! new
      #336492 - 09/25/08 04:39 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Just had surgery myself--I so hear you!

Try Miralax (available over the counter in Walgreens, Target, etc.) along with acacia powder. I have both daily and the combo is a life saver and keeps me regular.

Drink plenty of fluids to help the Miralax work.

HTH.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#336497 - 09/25/08 06:42 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

LadyJane,

I agree with uwpoine....try the Miralax. If you do a search on the board I think you'll find it works for a lot of people. In the meantine, you can always do an old fashioned warm water enema. You can buy the enema/douche bag at Walgreens for about $10.00 and it has directions how to use. A fleet enema doesn't do much if you're really C. The warm water enema is much safer (no added chemicals) and works much better. You could also try Milk of Magnesia, one of the less harsh laxatives.

In the meantime, keep drinking tons of water and tea and try to eat as much SF and IF as you can. I know its hard after surgery.....been there.

After surgery it takes a while to get back on track. There's a hospital in Texas that actually has a post surgery bowel treatment center that people go to after surgery to help them get their digestive systems working again.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sharon

Re: for UWPOINE new
      #336498 - 09/25/08 06:53 AM
sharond

Hi Uwpoine,

Where are you in Wisconsin??? From your name, I am assuming Stevens Point??? I'm in Suamico, which is 7 miles north of Green Bay.

Sharon

Re: for UWPOINE new
      #336531 - 09/25/08 03:05 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I am in Wisc. My user name is actually:
UW = for my college (Madison!)
Ponine = for my favorite character from my favorite musical (Eponine from Les Miserables).

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#336534 - 09/25/08 04:11 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Sorry you are having to go through this. When I had to have a hysterectomy 2 years ago, I ended up with C due to the anethesia and pain meds, too. My doc suggested Colace or Phillips Milk of Magnesea. They helped. My husband swears by licorice. Also, if you can, some slow, gentle walking helps, too. {{{hugs}}}

#336599 - 09/29/08 04:13 PM

Unregistered

Sharon, thanks for the encouragement. You won't believe this but my incision started to leak spinal fluid and I began to get wicked head aches. I was placed back into the hospital for a second surgery to repair a hole that had been put in the spinal sack. CRAZY! I was so C when I went into the hospital and was concerned that somehow I empty out from the first surgery before having C problems with the second. I did get the Miralax and took it right before I went to the hospital and then they gave me three Dulcolax tablets. Within a few hours I felt like I was nearly cleaned out! WOW! What a relief. Now I am C again from my second surgery and the doctor recommended I take the Miralax or the Dulcolax again. I am trying to follow Heather's diet pretty closely so that hopefully I will recover quickly from this second time around, at least in the C department! Thanks for your encouragement. It has been a rough few weeks to be sure! I guess no one ever counts on something like this especially when you are out of town!

Re: FOR LADYJANE new
      #336602 - 09/29/08 04:56 PM
sharond

HI LadyJane,

I am so so sorry to hear that you had to endure another surgery without even getting over the first. Being C was one of my greatest fears since I had issues already. Along with the hysterectomy, I had a bladder repair and rectocele repair and then they told me I shouldn't push to have a BM 'cuz I could mess up the rectocele repair!!!

Those first few weeks are the absolute roughest, especially when you really don't feel like eating or doing anything. I would say that if the Miralax worked, to keep on that for a while... at least until you can get a consistent better diet on a daily basis. I don't think I would take Ducolax at the same time as Miralax....it may really upset your tummy. Personally, I can't take Ducolax....took it once and thought I was dying.

I take the Acacia, however, one of the OTC fibers Heather recommends is Benefiber, so if you feel it is helping, I would stick with it. One thing I did almost every day is make a fruit smoothie. I bought some bags of frozen fruit and just threw in a handful of each. Be careful with bananas...some people get constipated. Also white rice constipates some people. Peas are good IF...you could mix some peas in with a baked potato.

Also, if you can get out and just do a short walk every day that will help and try a do some stretching. The more you can get your body to move, the better. When resting I would usually have a heating pad on my tummy just because it seemed to be a source of comfort.

I really feel for you Lady Jane. I know exactly where you are coming from. I was at my wits end. But day by day, slowly it will get better. Your only concern right now should be just taking care of yourself.

Best wishes....and tomorrow is a new day.

Sharon

#336663 - 10/02/08 01:04 PM
lidennn

Reged: 09/29/08

so sorry
I had a full hysterectomy last year causing horrific c and pain. I wear mat clothes 1 size too big and a gentle back brace. Try Miralax- the ONLY thing that helped and didn't make me worse or cramp.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5879

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review