All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Indoor house painting and pictures!!
      #336078 - 09/16/08 10:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, Will and I have been working on the house for about a month now. Its going REALLY slow. The house is very old, built in 1922 and there is not a straight line, level or smooth wall in the entire house. We can't use the tape for edging because the plaster is so uneven so everything has to be cut in by hand. I did put captions with the pictures, I think you have to click on the picture to see them, not sure. Not so good at this computer stuff!! The pictures really don't do the red in the front room justice at all. Its a really nice red.

Question for those who care to comment, what do you think of the old tan curtains in the front room? I think it would look better with white curtains but Will thinks the tan curtains ties into the furniture. Do you like the tan curtains or would it look better with white?

The carpet we ordered is a light tan/beige with little flecks of red, purple, gold, and pink in it. Sounds odd but its really pretty. We hope to get the trim in the dinning room painted this weekend. Painting the trim is the worse. We already have the primer up but it will need two coats of white to cover still. Than we will move the bedroom into the dinning room and get the bedroom done. Than we can have the carpet put in and will take a break for a week or two.

Than, we will have the front bedroom, hall and bath to redo. We also have to refinish the buffet in the dinning room. The list is long!!!!! What was I thinking?? LOL

Here's the link to the photobucket page, will keep you posted as we add more pictures and make some more progress!

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/michelebrake/house%20make-up%20fall%20of%2008/house%20make%20over%20fall%202008/?start=all

Love and hugs
Michele

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Indoor house painting and pictures!! new
      #336100 - 09/16/08 04:40 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

What an undertaking! But, you are going to love, love, love it when it's done! I love the red and the green. I have a green and white bedroom too - almost the same color of green, mine my be a little bit darker. I grew up in a house built in the ealy 1900s w/ 14-foot ceilings, transom windows, pocket doors, solid walnut mantles, 3 fireplaces - and lots of antiques. Don't have any houses like that in this area, and no room for large antiques, but in my green bedroom I do have antiques, which I love. My hubby and I disagree because I like the well-worn look - scratches don't bother me. I even use my grandmother's jelly cabinet as my pantry in the kitchen and I have my parents' Hoosier cabinet in there too - much to his dismay! ;-)
Take care of yourself breathing all those fumes, but enjoy the pure giddiness of creativity! It's looking beautiful!
I have so many projects I want to do - the list is endless!
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#336103 - 09/16/08 05:31 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I like the sound of the carpet. I want do to my daughters room but dh says it'll cost to much so therefore I think she be in are room til shes 20! I think white curtians. Thats my opion. I hope your felling well and take care fixing a house is alot of work I know its never ending!!
love & hugs
emmamsom ibs-c gas

#336109 - 09/17/08 07:51 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Michele,

Have read many of your past posts and I'm so happy you are finally feeling so much better.

I love the red color you chose. About the drapes, I think I would wait until the carpeting and funiture are in place before deciding on white or tan. Having everything in place could change the entire look. You may want to take down the tan and hang a couple of white sheets just to get an idea. I think I would probably end up going with the tan. Since you have white wordwork already, white curtains may be just too much..it would also be a huge contrast whereas the tan may blend better with everything.

BTW, if that is not water in your glass what is it????

Best wishes,
Sharon

#336121 - 09/17/08 09:24 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Michele-Your new colors are so pretty! I would replace the curtains, though. The tan color is fine, but you need a pattern to bring the room together. I would pick a striped curtain with red, tan, and cream. The red wouldn't have to match exactly to look good. You could put white sheers or lace panels in the center to pretty it up even more. Don't forget to post more pictures when you have the other rooms done!

#336123 - 09/17/08 11:19 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Wow, you've been busy. So glad to hear the treatments are helping. It's great that you feel good enough to paint!!! Small steps, big victories The red and green look great. No advice on the drapes. I'm not the best decorator. But I did like someone else's advice about getting some striped drapes. That could really add a pop to the room. And then you can have tan and white if you want

So glad to hear you and Will are doing well. I know you've had a rough road. I continue to pray for both of you. Keep the updates and the pictures coming! It's good to see a familiar face around here

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re:Thanks GaGa new
      #336126 - 09/17/08 12:13 PM
michele

Thats the one thing our house does not have is a fire place! The ceilings are 10-12 feet depending on the room. The house is relatively small, around 1,100 feet but because the main rooms are mostly open and the ceilings are high, it doesn't feel too small.

I am not a big antiques person myself. But, since we are on such a low budget, I will be refinishing several pieces such as the buffet and this little corner china cabinet. I'm all good with a few scratches and dents too!

--------------------

Re: Karen18 new
      #336127 - 09/17/08 12:41 PM
michele

One of my other friends suggested a patterned curtain as well!! I like the red, tan and cream stripped idea!! I think I will make a trip to the fabric store and see what I can find!!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Mary new
      #336128 - 09/17/08 12:43 PM
michele

I am dragging today but tomorrow is my infusion so hopefully that will help, it usually does. I know I have been over doing it but it just feels SO good to be able to actually do something that I just can't stop myself! Silly, isn't it?!

--------------------

Re: Hi Sharon new
      #336130 - 09/17/08 12:47 PM
michele

"BTW, if that is not water in your glass what is it????"

Strawberry vodka and diet 7-up!! No, its not IBS friendly but sometimes its worth the price!

I am going to try and hold off on changing the drapes until the carpet is in but I might start wandering the fabric stores now just to get an idea of what my options are! I put white curtains in my pink dressing room and I like the way it looks but that room is much smaller. I like the suggestions of a striped curtain-----so many options!!

--------------------

Re: emmasmom new
      #336131 - 09/17/08 12:51 PM
michele

Making over a room doesn't have to cost too much. We are on a tight budget. A gallon of paint is around $30-$35. Our carpet was a little more than our budget but it needed to be replaced!! You can buy stencils and fun stuff to decorate your daughters room with, shop around. A little paint and some new bedding would go a long way to make up a room for your girl!

--------------------

Hey Michele new
      #336150 - 09/17/08 05:17 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

First, I am so excited that you feel well enough to paint! You look like you feel much better in your pictures. The boys are getting so big.

I love the colors you have chosen. I am partial to sheers and I think white sheers would look beautiful in that room with the red walls. There is something about the windows open in the spring with the sheers billowing into the room from a gentle breeze blowing through the windows that I love. I also like the idea of stripped curtains.

I agree with you and would wait until you have everything done and see what you think would look good. If you made curtains with stripes you could also make a couple of throw pillows for the sofa to match.

We just finished laying a hardwood floor in our living room and we are now painting the outside of our house. That is a huge undertaking but I am loving the color, sagebrush green with cream trim.

Take care sweetie and I hope you continue to feel good.

Hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#336152 - 09/17/08 05:35 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Fixing up your daughter's room might be just what you need! And, it doesn't have to be costly - maybe even a little at a time... Where you live, do they have lots of yard sales??? It's amazing what you can find - add a little bit of paint and it's done. Do you sew? You can make a comforter out of sheets even - same for curtains? Look through magazines, pick out the style you like - i.e. bright colors, pastels, a theme???? My daughter did the girls room in pink and white, with touches of pale green. She waited until she found everything on sale. Also, discount furniture stores have furniture at amazing low prices. I bought a china cabinet, lighted with beveled glass - looked brand new - for $125.00... Just delight yourself looking on line and in magazines for ideas!
When I was a wedding coordinator/director the first thing I did was tell "my girls" to close their eyes, imagine their ideal wedding and tell me what they saw. Then, it was my job to help create that picture... So, start looking - we all have to have a dream about something.... {{Hugs}} - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#336169 - 09/18/08 12:23 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I have those same tan curtains!!

Looks great!

~nelly~

Re: Hey Nelly!! new
      #336193 - 09/19/08 10:38 AM
michele

HOWDY! I guess its irrelevant about the curtains for now. Hubby has informed me that our health insurance went up another $175 yesterday, its now close to the same price as our mortgage. We are paying over $1,100 a month just for the premium on our health insurance. Than, hubby proceeds to tell me that he hasn't had much work and we are broke. So, asides from finishing the painting, nothing else will be getting done and our vacation for next year has been cancelled. Michele is crabby today. Sorry. Hope your days is happier!

--------------------

Re: Hi Janey new
      #336194 - 09/19/08 10:40 AM
michele

Nice to "see" you again!! The sage green and cream sounds lovely. We painted the outside a couple of years back but its already all peeling. The wood is just so old, it either needs to be replaced or sided over. Either way, BIG BUCKS.

Are you still working at the doctors office?

--------------------

#336196 - 09/19/08 10:56 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I tried to see the pics...and my whole computer FREAKED OUT! lol

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Shell Marr new
      #336201 - 09/19/08 11:49 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Loved your My Space page, Shell!! Nice yardwork!

I especially love the hot boys on there...whew!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Michele new
      #336236 - 09/19/08 06:07 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Oh yes and hating every second of it. How's your job going?

--------------------
Janey

Re: Would like a new job new
      #336333 - 09/22/08 11:05 AM
michele

but there just isn't a darn thing available at all. I get the paper about once a week and there are so few help wanted ads. My boss just is not a nice person, the last raise I had was 8 years ago and our office is over run in black mold. I am convinced that the majority of my health problems, especially the sarcoidosis is caused from the office. If I call the health dept, they will shut down the whole strip mall and I can't afford not to work. So, until something comes along, I am STUCK! This economy is so awful. Aren't you glad you asked? LOL!!

How are your kids doing? Does your son like the military?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 341 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review