All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Having a rough couple of days.... new
      #336163 - 09/18/08 11:36 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

thanks Fancy...
I'm still fighting these tired days...but I get my thyroid levels re-checked next week. They were high with my last blood work.

I also got my copy of the results of my bone density scan yesterday in the mail. It says that I have less bone density than I did two years ago and that I need more calcium and more weight bearing exercise. I had to have the test because of my hysterectomy two years ago. My doc had called me last week wanting to schedule an appointment to go over my results. I already had a followup appointment with him scheduled in November.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Nugget: rough couple of days.... new
      #336170 - 09/18/08 01:19 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

HI Nugget,

I just had a hysterectomy in January, 2008. Are you on any HRT??? My OBYGN was insistent on me taking them 'cuz I have some bone loss (I am however, 55 years old). She always pushed the HRT and finally got me to taking them in January. I had problems with one and switched to another. I have since discontined altogether. I know that she would be really pissed if she knew. I never had any menopausal symptoms (except I got IBS) but she insisted that the HRT would help the bones. I do take a really good calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D supplement, try to eat higher calcium foods and do weight bearing exercises.

Just wondering where you are at with the HRT stuff and if your doc is so insistent that you be on HRT?

Sharon

#336199 - 09/19/08 11:37 AM
Nugget

Sharon...

At first after my hysterectomy, I was on a pill called Estropipate. But after three months, I started having some problems with my IBS again and anxiety...so they tried me on an estrogen patch. That didn't work for me either. So then I tried the bio-identical creams...didn't really notice any improvement with those either.

I have been completely HRT free since June of last year and feel so much better off HRT than on. I never really had any menopausal symptoms. Both my GP and my GYN say that I can go without it if that is best for me. They are supportive. Now, though, I am starting to have some thyroid issues. I am thinking that if they get my thyroid under control that it may help my IBS and anxiety. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've learned that you don't HAVE to take HRT.

There is a wonderful Web site you may be interested in since you recently had your hysterectomy. I has helped me tremendously. It is www.hystersisters.com. There is a wealth of information there as well as forums like here.

Check it out!

{{{hugs}}}

#336222 - 09/19/08 03:52 PM
sharond

Thank you Nugget..Hopefully your thyroid issue can get resolved and help the anxiety.....I've had really in-depth testing done on my thyroid and no such luck they'd come up with anything to fix. I deal with a great deal of anxiety as well, but like everyone else here....working on it.

Sharon

#336223 - 09/19/08 03:54 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

{{BIG BIG BIG HUGS}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#336228 - 09/19/08 04:37 PM
Nugget

Thanks Shell!! {{{hugs}}} Am doing a bit better today.

#336230 - 09/19/08 04:39 PM
Nugget

Thanks Sharon....be sure to check out that web site I told you about...hystersisters.com

Do you take anything for your anxiety? I've taken Zoloft and Effexor at different times in the past. Was able to wean myself successfully off of both of them, then started having anxiety again so now I take Lexapro.

Re: For Nugget new
      #336250 - 09/20/08 11:01 AM
sharond

Oh Nugget I have had the worse past couple of weeks with insomnia of course due to anxiety. I have used Ambien off and on over the past 12 years, but it seems to have stopped working. I am at my wits end!!! I finally broke down and went to the doctor yesterday....she believes I really need something to help with this anxiety and break this pattern so here is what we are trying....

First off I tried Lexapro a time back and hated it...got lots of body jerks with it. Our plan of action is 25 mg of Zoloft which won't kick in four about four weeks but until then an anti anxiety called Klonopin....5 in am .5 in PM. So anyway took first dose last night at 8:00,,,,kind of nodded off for 1/2 hour and woke up feeling very nervous and then got really nauseas and was up all night.

Do you have any ideas on this??? I am calling her first thing monday morning, but I am at my wits end with this insomnia stuff. I feel like a total dishrag.... The last two weeks have been hell. I try to lay as still as possible, so at least my body can rest, but I just can't seem to shut the mind down. I'm really scared to start all of this med stuff, but I do know it has helped many people...I guess it's just the suffering until the right one is found. Yet if the meds will help control the anxiety and give me a better quality of life I guess I'm really to try. I am going to start the hypno tapes for the scond time soon. Any other suggestions. Do you think there are lots of IBSs with sleep issues out there?

Sharon

Re: For Nugget new
      #336252 - 09/20/08 11:30 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hi Sharon!
I have always had off and on insomnia...for many, many years. I really HAVE to read. Every night I read for about 30min before I go to sleep. I also lay on a heating pad while I read. I usually put it up around my upper back and shoulder area. I lay on my heating pad for 1/2 an hour while I read, then I do some stretches for about 5-10minutes before trying to sleep. It really helps.

If you want to try the reading and heating pad thing and it doesn't help, you may want to try some valerian, or some kava kava tea. They are herbal anti-anxiety and muscle relaxers. They work pretty darn well!!

Do you have a TV in your bedroom? Sometimes that makes insomnia worse.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Re: For FancyMom new
      #336259 - 09/20/08 12:55 PM
sharond

Thanks Fancymom,

Actually, I started a really bad habit after January's surgery 'cuz I couldn't get comfortable any place in the house. I have a very, very comffy large chair in the living room where I always watch TV and fall asleep. I don't think I can fall asleep any other way 'cus it's been so long. Then when I wake up I switch to the bedroom (but by the time I get there I'm wide awake!!!) So if I can stay sleeping in my chair I do and my DH knows there is a sign across my forehead "DO NOT DISTURB".

Like I said Ambien had been a charm on and off for years, so I never really got that anxious. A couple nights of Ambien and I was on the right track again.

I'm telling you though, Fancy, sinc January nothing has really been the same, including getting my normal sleep back. My obgyn said "you'll feel like a new woman"!!!! Hello, I feel like crap so much of the time!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried Valerium, but I will have to look for the KAVA tea.

Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14049

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review