All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Having a rough couple of days....
      #336073 - 09/16/08 08:56 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Just the other day I posted how I had been doing so well for a couple weeks. Well, I must have jinxed my good fortune...because yesterday and today have been rough.

I used some muscles that I haven't used in YEARS on Saturday when hubby and I went to an outdoor activity expo and I decided I wanted to try shooting a hunting bow and arrow. Sunday I wasn't sore at all, but yesterday it hit me. I could hardly move my neck and in between my shoulder blades was soooooo sore. The sore muscles also gave me a horrible headache. So I took Advil, which in turn upset my tummy, etc. I had the heat pack on my muscles most of the night last night and this morning before I came to work. It feels a bit better than yesterday, but still have a headache and am extremely tired.

I had to take 2 Imodium yesterday and 3 today just to get away from the house and to work on time. I am soooo tired. And I have a Dr appointment today to get the results of my kidney x-ray. Joy! Joy! Wish I could just go home and nap.

I was doing so good!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having a rough couple of days.... new
      #336074 - 09/16/08 09:23 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Awww, Nugget. You poor dear.
No more bow and arrows!! Have you tried some stretching? That should help to release all that built up lactic acid in those tight little muscles. After you use the heating pad tonight, stretch them out really good...or better yet - get hubby to give you a good shoulder and neck massage!!

Hope you get to feeling better soon - and let us know how the x-rays came out!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#336079 - 09/16/08 10:39 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Mmmmmm massage.

Hope you feel better today and tomorrow.remember, one day at a time.I jinxed myself too. No more chocolate for me.
Just breathe deeply and enjoy the sunny day(it's sunny here...there?)

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336091 - 09/16/08 02:20 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

hang in there it'll get better again just think of this as a rough patch. I did the same thing a few months ago used muscles I haven't used and I was so sore and sick for like a week. Good luck with your results. I am off to the doc tomorrow I'll be glad when its over. (hugs) xoxoxoxo
ps Try the thremal care heat patch or a generic brand they work great!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#336096 - 09/16/08 04:08 PM
Nugget

Thanks so much Sheila. I'm feeling better this afternoon. The Doctor's visit about my kidney x-ray results was kind of a joke. They could have just told me over the phone that they didn't see any stones on the x-ray. Instead I had to take an hour off work, go in to the doc office, update my medical history, pee in a cup and have them tell me everything was normal on the x-ray. They said the lower back pain I feel occassionally could be that I produce and pass very small stones.

Hope all goes well with your doc visit tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

#336097 - 09/16/08 04:11 PM
Nugget

Thanks Fancy....hubby gave me a good rub down last night and this morning. Am feeling better this afternoon. Hope my tummy cooperates tomorrow.

All was OK with my kidney x-ray check-up for kidney stones. They said that I might be producing and passing small stones...that's why I have lower back pain occassionally. But, it's nothing to worry about. They could have told me on the phone that everything was OK and saved me the trip, the stress, and the money.

#336098 - 09/16/08 04:13 PM
Nugget

Thanks dragonfly....hubby is a good massage therapist.

I'm doing better this afternoon. I should have known better than to talk about how well I was doing. I always jinx myself when I do that.

#336099 - 09/16/08 04:28 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Hope each day gets better and better!!! Glad you got a good report from the dr. too. Be nice to yourself and put yourself first for awhile!
We all know "this too shall pass"... the question is "When?"
{{Hugs}} - GaGa

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#336101 - 09/16/08 04:45 PM
Nugget

Thanks so much GaGa....Hugs to you, too!

#336112 - 09/17/08 08:13 AM
fancymom

Man is that frustrating!! They just want you to come in so they can charge you for an office visit! I hate that!!

Anyway, I'm glad your feeling better!

--------------------
FancyMom

#336163 - 09/18/08 11:36 AM
Nugget

thanks Fancy...
I'm still fighting these tired days...but I get my thyroid levels re-checked next week. They were high with my last blood work.

I also got my copy of the results of my bone density scan yesterday in the mail. It says that I have less bone density than I did two years ago and that I need more calcium and more weight bearing exercise. I had to have the test because of my hysterectomy two years ago. My doc had called me last week wanting to schedule an appointment to go over my results. I already had a followup appointment with him scheduled in November.

Re: For Nugget: rough couple of days.... new
      #336170 - 09/18/08 01:19 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

HI Nugget,

I just had a hysterectomy in January, 2008. Are you on any HRT??? My OBYGN was insistent on me taking them 'cuz I have some bone loss (I am however, 55 years old). She always pushed the HRT and finally got me to taking them in January. I had problems with one and switched to another. I have since discontined altogether. I know that she would be really pissed if she knew. I never had any menopausal symptoms (except I got IBS) but she insisted that the HRT would help the bones. I do take a really good calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D supplement, try to eat higher calcium foods and do weight bearing exercises.

Just wondering where you are at with the HRT stuff and if your doc is so insistent that you be on HRT?

Sharon

#336199 - 09/19/08 11:37 AM
Nugget

Sharon...

At first after my hysterectomy, I was on a pill called Estropipate. But after three months, I started having some problems with my IBS again and anxiety...so they tried me on an estrogen patch. That didn't work for me either. So then I tried the bio-identical creams...didn't really notice any improvement with those either.

I have been completely HRT free since June of last year and feel so much better off HRT than on. I never really had any menopausal symptoms. Both my GP and my GYN say that I can go without it if that is best for me. They are supportive. Now, though, I am starting to have some thyroid issues. I am thinking that if they get my thyroid under control that it may help my IBS and anxiety. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've learned that you don't HAVE to take HRT.

There is a wonderful Web site you may be interested in since you recently had your hysterectomy. I has helped me tremendously. It is www.hystersisters.com. There is a wealth of information there as well as forums like here.

Check it out!

{{{hugs}}}

#336222 - 09/19/08 03:52 PM
sharond

Thank you Nugget..Hopefully your thyroid issue can get resolved and help the anxiety.....I've had really in-depth testing done on my thyroid and no such luck they'd come up with anything to fix. I deal with a great deal of anxiety as well, but like everyone else here....working on it.

Sharon

#336223 - 09/19/08 03:54 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

{{BIG BIG BIG HUGS}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#336228 - 09/19/08 04:37 PM
Nugget

Thanks Shell!! {{{hugs}}} Am doing a bit better today.

#336230 - 09/19/08 04:39 PM
Nugget

Thanks Sharon....be sure to check out that web site I told you about...hystersisters.com

Do you take anything for your anxiety? I've taken Zoloft and Effexor at different times in the past. Was able to wean myself successfully off of both of them, then started having anxiety again so now I take Lexapro.

Re: For Nugget new
      #336250 - 09/20/08 11:01 AM
sharond

Oh Nugget I have had the worse past couple of weeks with insomnia of course due to anxiety. I have used Ambien off and on over the past 12 years, but it seems to have stopped working. I am at my wits end!!! I finally broke down and went to the doctor yesterday....she believes I really need something to help with this anxiety and break this pattern so here is what we are trying....

First off I tried Lexapro a time back and hated it...got lots of body jerks with it. Our plan of action is 25 mg of Zoloft which won't kick in four about four weeks but until then an anti anxiety called Klonopin....5 in am .5 in PM. So anyway took first dose last night at 8:00,,,,kind of nodded off for 1/2 hour and woke up feeling very nervous and then got really nauseas and was up all night.

Do you have any ideas on this??? I am calling her first thing monday morning, but I am at my wits end with this insomnia stuff. I feel like a total dishrag.... The last two weeks have been hell. I try to lay as still as possible, so at least my body can rest, but I just can't seem to shut the mind down. I'm really scared to start all of this med stuff, but I do know it has helped many people...I guess it's just the suffering until the right one is found. Yet if the meds will help control the anxiety and give me a better quality of life I guess I'm really to try. I am going to start the hypno tapes for the scond time soon. Any other suggestions. Do you think there are lots of IBSs with sleep issues out there?

Sharon

#336252 - 09/20/08 11:30 AM
fancymom

Hi Sharon!
I have always had off and on insomnia...for many, many years. I really HAVE to read. Every night I read for about 30min before I go to sleep. I also lay on a heating pad while I read. I usually put it up around my upper back and shoulder area. I lay on my heating pad for 1/2 an hour while I read, then I do some stretches for about 5-10minutes before trying to sleep. It really helps.

If you want to try the reading and heating pad thing and it doesn't help, you may want to try some valerian, or some kava kava tea. They are herbal anti-anxiety and muscle relaxers. They work pretty darn well!!

Do you have a TV in your bedroom? Sometimes that makes insomnia worse.

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: For FancyMom new
      #336259 - 09/20/08 12:55 PM
sharond

Thanks Fancymom,

Actually, I started a really bad habit after January's surgery 'cuz I couldn't get comfortable any place in the house. I have a very, very comffy large chair in the living room where I always watch TV and fall asleep. I don't think I can fall asleep any other way 'cus it's been so long. Then when I wake up I switch to the bedroom (but by the time I get there I'm wide awake!!!) So if I can stay sleeping in my chair I do and my DH knows there is a sign across my forehead "DO NOT DISTURB".

Like I said Ambien had been a charm on and off for years, so I never really got that anxious. A couple nights of Ambien and I was on the right track again.

I'm telling you though, Fancy, sinc January nothing has really been the same, including getting my normal sleep back. My obgyn said "you'll feel like a new woman"!!!! Hello, I feel like crap so much of the time!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried Valerium, but I will have to look for the KAVA tea.

Sharon

#336263 - 09/20/08 02:25 PM
dragonfly

I seem to be going through a batch of insomnia too.Just can't sleep at all.I have been taking Benedryl for my allergies and all it does is make me sleepy and when I do fall asleep,It only lasts for about two hours and I'm wide awake.I've been restless all night and exhausted in the morning.I'm going to try walking before bed to see if that helps.

My husband thinks,oh wise one that he is, that all i need is to have a really good O and that will take care of it.well I'm trying but that just doesn't seem to work anymore either!lol

--------------------

Re: For Dragonfly new
      #336265 - 09/20/08 03:16 PM
sharond

Hi Dragonfly:

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with these patches of insomnia. I'm like you, I'll fall asleep a few hours then wake up wide awake!!! There have been nights when I don't sleep at all or else I dream, but feel like I'm awake dreaming. Even if I could get a good solid five hours I would be so happy!!! Can't figure it out since I have NO sress in my life.

A guy can turn over and snore after the big O....me, I wanna go clean the house or something!!

Sharon

#336310 - 09/21/08 03:36 PM
Nugget

Hi Sharon....
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I've had a horrible headache yesterday and today. Didn't get much sleep last night because of it.

Sorry you are having such a rough time. I had the "tremors" when I was on Effexor, but never with Lexapro.

As for the insomnia....My husband and I love these CDs called "Solitudes" by Dan Gibson. He has a wide variety of Instrumental CDs available that combine the sounds of nature with soothing music. You can also download a lot of his CDs on iTunes. It is sooooo relaxing. Might help you get to sleep.

Another thing to remember is to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

{{{hugs}}}

#336311 - 09/21/08 03:38 PM
Nugget

Dragonfly....isn't that just like a man to think everything can be healed with sex! My husband is the same way. My husband says my headaches are ORH (orgasm retention headache)

#336312 - 09/21/08 03:40 PM
Nugget

Sharon...isn't that the truth about a guy being able to just roll over and go to sleep after the O. I'm still thinking of all the things I need to get done around the house after the O.

#336321 - 09/22/08 05:52 AM
dragonfly

Oh ya.He is definately my husbands twin separated at birth!

--------------------

#336322 - 09/22/08 05:53 AM
dragonfly

Or during

--------------------

#336327 - 09/22/08 09:18 AM
Nugget

LOL! So true! thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

#336337 - 09/22/08 01:43 PM
sharond

Thanks for the tips on the "Solitudes" CDs. I went out to his website and saw that you could listen to samples of each.

Sharon

Re: For Sharond new
      #336349 - 09/22/08 05:46 PM
Nugget

You're welcome. Did you like what you heard? I've never gone to his website. I'll have to check that out.
{{{hugs}}}

Re: For Sharond new
      #336362 - 09/23/08 04:30 AM
GaGa

I've hesitated to respond because I know many will disagree, but here goes anyway, if it helps, so be it!
I have suffered with anxiety - we know now - since I was a child - primarily situational due to family issues. But, as an adult was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks too. The only thing that helped me - other than God (of course) has been Xanax. I've been on and off it for probably close to 20 years. You notice, I say "off it" as well. My doctor says it's a band-aid and when I don't need it anymore, I'll be able to get off it - and I have, several times. Right now - I'm back on it due to high stress. But, after all these years, I have never exceeded the recommended dosage - and I'm not even at the top dosage. I used to freak about being addicted - but, really in depth research has proven real addiction is at dosages higher than 4 mg. a day and I haven't been there.
But, that's just what has helped me. I'm not advocating drugs, but when you can't function, you reach out for what helps and help comes in different forms. At one time, I couldn't sleep at all and was having panic attacks all day and all night, so I was desperate - all I could do was cry out to God.
I don't know why, but even after all these years, I feel ashamed that I'm still having to take it. I think it's because most anti-depressants are "socially acceptable", but anti-anxiety drugs are not. It's like a vicious cycle - the IBS kicks up, I get sick, then I get anxious. Or an anxious situation causes the IBS to kick in!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: For Gaga new
      #336364 - 09/23/08 05:25 AM
dragonfly

Don't feel ashamed gaga.There are so many people out there that suffer and could have help.The very fact you are on these drugs ocasionally shows that you are willing to accept you can't do it alone.No one can.The ones that think they can are just deludung them selves.Knowing that you can help other people by talking about what you have and what you are taking to fix it will help others to realize theat they aren't alone.That I think is the biggest thing.We all need to talk about our help issues more openly so that shy kid in the corner or the weird guy in the back can get information before its too late.How many youngersters,and adults have ended their lives because they didn't know there was help out there.
Did you know that the actor that plays Sonny on GH suffers from panic and anixety attacks too.Thats why he left the show for a few years.Now he has the meds he needs and he is back doing what he loves.
Depression is crazy and aniexty can confine you to a life of hell.Most of us here know what that is like but we have all searched for an answer and have found you and others here that understand.
Someday you will be able to stop again but It's great that you talk about it.Everyone should.

--------------------

Re: For GaGa new
      #336369 - 09/23/08 07:35 AM
sharond

Thank you so much for your response. I have these vicious cycles of anxiety/insomnia and feel like I can barely function. Other than the Ambien and very occasion Ativan I never took anything else. One precription would last for months. They just didn't help at all this time.

Went to my very understanding doc last week and she spent a lot of time with me discussing the anxiety thing and breaking these cycles. She put me on the lowest dose of Zoloft (says low doses of antidepressants are used for anxiety) and hopefully this will help. However, it takes about 4 weeks to kick in so until then she has me on the lowest dose of Klonopin in the evening. I have been sleeping better, thank God.....I just feel nauseous in the morning. How I hated, hated, hated to take this route, but I also have to function.

A friend of mine has been helping me come to terms with all of this. She has fibro, chronic fatigue, arthritis and takes a cocktail of low dose drugs every evening...same low dose of eveything has worked for the past 15 years...without the drugs she literally would not be able to live. She finally got me to realize that drugs are there for a reason and if you're under a doctor's supervision and you can have a better quality of life, why would you not want that?? Another friend of mine has taken 2 mg of Ativan and a glass of wine every nite for the last 25 years. She knows she is addicted, but doesn't care. It has made her life liveable.

If I could just wipe this IBS out of my life I wouldn't need any of these meds, but then who knows, maybe it would be something else!!! The IBS is, however, the root of my anxiety. I am much like you when it comes to making plans or going someplace....I start getting panicky weeks ahead of time. People just don't understand why you can't plan a shopping day two weeks in advance.

So far now, I hope the meds help and eventually I'll be able to not need them. However, if I do, I'm going to try and not beat myself up over it. Thank you for your kind response. I've read all of your posts and you have been through so much in your life. With everything you deal with, your optimistic, cheerful personality amazes me. You give so much support to others on the board.

Thanks again for your response.

Blessings to you.
Sharon

#336370 - 09/23/08 07:39 AM
sharond

Yes, I listened to a little bit of the deep sleep cd. Looks like he has many cds out there....for a variety of things....anxiety, stress, etc. I could probably use all of them!!!

When I have a chance I'm going to go back and listen for a longer period of time to a couple of then and then decide on which one(s) I want.

Thanks again.
Sharon

#336371 - 09/23/08 07:48 AM
Nugget

Glad you like them! I checked out his website last night and found one of my husband and my favorites that we bought years ago. Now I can replace our cassette version with the CD! We lost the cassette and just have the case left. I'm so happy we can get it on CD! It's called "Rocky Mountain Suite".

Re: For GaGa new
      #336372 - 09/23/08 07:55 AM
Nugget

GaGa....I totally agree! I've been on a few different anti anxiet/anti depressants over the past few years and it seems unacceptable to everyone or that they don't know how to handle it when I tell them I take anti anxiety meds. But if I tell them I might need meds for thyroid...that's fine. I don't know why there is such a social problem with taking anti depressants or anti anxiety meds. It's no different than taking something for diabetes or any other medical condition.

I, too agree that it's a horrible cycle with IBS and anxiety. One seems to feed off the other with me, too.
{{{hugs}}}

Re: For Dragonfly..... new
      #336373 - 09/23/08 07:59 AM
Nugget

Very well said! {{{hugs}}} You hit the nail on the head.

Re: For Dragonfly, Nugget & Sharond new
      #336432 - 09/23/08 05:18 PM
GaGa

You really blessed me day and I just pray God doubles it back to you! Thank you!!!
I feel like we're all put here to help each other and just ask my family, my life is an open book!
I see us like a human chain or even a group climbing a mountain - we're all giving each other a "hand up".
You all are wonderful and it blesses me any time I can help anyone. Think that's why I love my job in guidance with my "sick" kids. It sounds a little "pollyanna-ish", but if I can help make one of their lives a little better, or let them know someone else has been where they are and understand, then you feel like all is well in world for a short time. One of my best friends says I only like people who have something wrong with them! LOL! (Of course, that's why we're friends - she was on cocaine, beat to a pulp by her husband and a general mess when we became friends! Life!!!!
{{{BIG HUGS}}} & Blessings!!! - Dorothy

--------------------

Re: For Dragonfly, Nugget & Sharond new
      #336439 - 09/23/08 07:05 PM
Nugget

Dorothy....{{{{big hugs to you}}}} Beautiful words! I hate to admit it, but I don't know how to pray or put my faith in God. I believe, but I wasn't raised in church. I consider myself Christian, but I don't attend church. Wish I could be as close to God as you are.

#336442 - 09/23/08 07:48 PM
GaGa

It's a day-to-day walk and He's my strength, my all. But, you don't have to be raised in church or even go to church to know Him, it's just a matter of an individual quest, a hunger and a desire. As for praying - He already knows how you feel, you just talk to Him, like we are right now. And, knowing about Him comes from either hearing about Him or reading The Bible - a good updated/modern/fun version is "The Message" - like reading a book.
My beliefs and faith have changed over the years and gone from religion to an intimate walk with Him. I believe in healing and I pray it for you and all the others I have come to "love" on this site. He said it in His Word and I believe it and claim that promise for us all! It is His desire for you to be well. You wouldn't believe all He's brought me through... abuse, infertility (facing a hysterectomy then miraculously healed of endometriosis), severe financial setbacks, healing of a heart condition. So, it's just a matter of time until we're all well!
I do thank you for your kindness and know He brought you all into my life for "such a time as this".
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13989

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review