All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need baby registry advice from all you Moms!
      #335966 - 09/12/08 07:51 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I can't believe I'm at 25 weeks already...! Time is flying by! DH and I are going to do our baby registry tomorrow at Babies R Us, and I wondered if any of you have any last-minute advice. We've already settled on the big things like furniture, carseat/stroller, a Pack N Play with bassinet... And we are planning to use a cloth diaper service, so that will eliminate a few things. Anyone have any suggestions for things you wish you had registered for, things that were absolute life savers, things that were a waste of money, etc.??

Please let me know if you have any thoughts!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need baby registry advice from all you Moms! new
      #335971 - 09/12/08 09:29 AM

Unregistered

If you can, take another mom with you! She can help you out alot! My sister came with me and she was a lifesaver! My ideas:
Digital thermometer
If your breastfeeding you'll need:
Bottles, milk storage bags, bottle cleaners, top-rack safe bottle cleaners, hand-held or electric pump (Lansinoh makes a great one), breast pads - needed whether your nursing or not to help prevent leaks, nipple shields, lansinoh nipple cream
A baby bouncer seat
A good swing - it will be your saving grace
Master the art of swaddling....
Basic supplies for baby such as baby bath, lotion, nail clippers, brush, vaseline, cotton swabs and cotton balls, diaper rash cream
A baby bathtub
Until your babies cord falls out you'll have to sponge bath, for that we used disposable washcloths, I think gerber or JOhnson and JOhnson makes them - you just get them wet and can easily sponge bath that way then toss.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. My baby just turned 2 last Sunday but it seems like she was just born, it goes so fast!
Oh and in my opinion the Boppy was a waste of money but other mothers swear by them. How exciting for you!!! Let me know if you need anything else!

#336009 - 09/13/08 01:52 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Lisa Marie,

My baby is 26 years old but I remember well.

I agree with JHuggs, a good swing is a LIFESAVER..it will calm down a cranky baby like nothing else. Also, one of those pouches you can put on like a backpack (only baby is in front). You can walk around the house, do dishes, whatever while baby is in pouch. My baby loved being held; actually he hardly touched the ground before one year old. Oh, another thing, I had a diagper service for three months. Make sure you have lots of those plastic pants that go over the diapers 'cuz it seems like they always got wet from a seeping diaper and had to be rinsed out each diaper change time. I had plastic pants hanging all over my bathroom all the time. Just got to be too much work for me.

I've been keeping up with your posts and it sounds like you are doing great. I had an easy pregnancy and childbirth so I just loved it. I walked, walked, walked every day (I took a walk around the block while I was in labor) and I really believed that helped the labor/childbirth go really smooth.

Keep us posted with pictures!!!!!

Best wishes.
Sharon

#336011 - 09/13/08 03:21 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hey Lisa Marie!
Wow. 25 weeks already!! Time does fly. Glad you are doing so well! I LOVED being pregnant!! It was so much FUN!

Ok. So my advice after having 2 children of my own, AND being a pediatric nurse...
I LOVED those little infant gowns. The ones with the elastic at the bottom. You could just yank them up to change your little one, then pull them back down. They are very easy and comfy. An all in one outfit...wonderful.
Also, I really loved the mirror that goes on the back seat head rest, so you can actually SEE your baby while your driving down the road - since they are facing the back seat. That was nice!
Also - Dr. Brown's bottles. Those are GREAT! I know you are probably breast feeding, and I did too...BUT, at some point you WILL need bottles, and those are the BEST!! Cuts down on gas in their little bellies!

Hope that helps. Good luck!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Thanks! new
      #336015 - 09/13/08 06:31 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Thanks, Ladies! Today was EXHAUSTING! DH and I spent 2.5 hours at Babies R Us doing our registry... and I still have things to add/remove from home!! I'm worn out, but thanks a bunch for your suggestions, they were helpful!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

more more ideas new
      #336035 - 09/15/08 08:44 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hi - I have a 9 mos old and here are my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet:

-The Velcro Swaddler - stays closed when they are squirming and keeps them warm at night so you don't have to worry about using a regular blanket.

-Digital bath tub temperature - gives you exact temperature range and flashes red as soon as it's 1 degree too warm
-Large fluffy baby bath towel (with hood) - the thin ones don't dry as well.
-I wouldn't recommend registering for blankets because it seems that's a favorite gift for people to buy or make.

-Buy bottles to use in case you aren't breastfeeding. Buy a few different kinds (one of each) because every baby is different and they don't all like the same nipple.
If you are breastfeeding, don't wait too long before introducing the bottle and be sure to do it daily (pumped breast milk) so they are used to it and someone else can feed your baby when you are away.

Get some samples or a small container of formula to have on hand in case you need to supplement and it's the middle of the night.

Have plenty of thank you cards so you can send them out as soon as someone drops buy with a gift after the baby.

It's great if you can borrow any baby clothes or things they'll only use the first few months. They grow out of them so fast!
We used the sleep-n-play outfits a lot since they were so comfy and he could sleep in them as well.

We borrowed the Bumbo chair but didn't use it much. You can't leave them in there unattended anyway because they aren't strapped in. The boppy works well then they are learning to sit and might topple over.

Super Baby Food book - even if you don't make your own baby food, there is tons of info in there on what month to start fruits and veggies. Also some good recipes for when they are older.

OK hope you have recovered from your trip to register as it can be exhausting. You can add/take things off now that you have one started.

Debby

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review