All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
My First Mammogram this Friday....I have some questions for those of you who have had them done.
      #335787 - 09/08/08 08:25 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I have my first mammogram this Friday afternoon...since I hit that magical age of 40 in March. I've always heard that you are not supposed to wear lotion or deoderant when you have a mammogram done, but there wasn't any mention of that when I made my appointment, and I forgot to ask. Is that true? Should I go without lotion or deoderant that day? Also, if you have any words of wisdom for my first mammogram, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My First Mammogram this Friday....I have some questions for those of you who have had them done. new
      #335789 - 09/08/08 09:19 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

My mom has gone for them and I have gone with her and thats what they have always told her. You could always call and ask your doctor if you wanted. She said its better than the other (pap. I haven't had one but both my mom and sister has and they said its really not that bad its cold though. hth> Glad to see you back I have miss you!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: My First Mammogram this Friday....I have some questions for those of you who have had them done. new
      #335790 - 09/08/08 09:43 AM
Nugget

thanks for the info Sheila! How've you been? I've just been busy and not had time to come "visit". I've missed you, too.

#335792 - 09/08/08 10:40 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

They do want your underarms to be free of any deodorants or anything else so there is no smudging when they "arrange" you for the picture. The place where I go provides wipes so you can clean it off right before the procedure, so if your appointment is later in the day you won't have to go all day without any deo. Yours may as well, which is why they didn't say anything to you about not wearing any.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#335794 - 09/08/08 11:00 AM
Nugget

Whew! That's good to know! Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease!

#335799 - 09/08/08 01:39 PM

Unregistered

I know that I was afraid when I went for my first mamogram but I quickly realized that I had nothing to fear. The tech in charge totally put me at ease and was gentle and friendly.They have told me each time before coming not to wear deoderant or lotion but there was deodarized wipes provided for me in the dressing room afterwards. Don't be shy in asking any questions before hand about how things will be done, I have found them very accomodating to respond in any way that they can. Good Luck! Happy 40th!

#335800 - 09/08/08 01:40 PM

Unregistered

I know that I was afraid when I went for my first mammogram but I quickly realized that I had nothing to fear. The tech in charge totally put me at ease and was gentle and friendly.They have told me each time before coming not to wear deoderant or lotion but there was deodarized wipes provided for me in the dressing room afterwards. Don't be shy in asking any questions before hand about how things will be done, I have found them very accomodating to respond in any way that they can. Good Luck! Happy 40th!

#335801 - 09/08/08 01:45 PM
Nugget

thanks so much Linda Jane! I'm a little nervous....but the more information I get from people who have gone through it, the more at ease I become.

#335808 - 09/08/08 04:10 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

There's nothing to worry about!! I was told no deodorant or lotion because it can also affect the picture - blurrs the films I guess. You will be asked likely to hold your breath while you're "pinched" in position, but it is only for a few seconds. The worst part of mine was the tech had cold hands and she kept trying to warm them up before she called me in. Very discrete and very friendly staff at my clinic. They expect you to be anxious, especially your first visit, but my techs have been very very nice.

I had my first mam at 30 as I have severly fibrocystic breasts and they check them to make sure it is just fibroids and nothing else. So by the time I reach 40 it'll be old hat!

Best of luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#335815 - 09/08/08 05:56 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Nugget -
Listen to the "older woman" here ... at 59 and a history of fibrocystic breast disease, I've had more than I care to remember. But, I promise you, compared to all the GI tests, pap smear, it will be the easiest by far. And, it is true, the deodorant, I believe, can cause abnormalities to appear on the mammogram - I think it's the aluminum in it - the scientists on here can verify for you. So, it's good to go early in the day and if you have to go on to work - just have your deo. with you. If not, do as the other post said, wash it off before you have the exam. Piece of cake, girlfriend! Happy #40! - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 834 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review