All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
My First Mammogram this Friday....I have some questions for those of you who have had them done.
      #335787 - 09/08/08 08:25 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I have my first mammogram this Friday afternoon...since I hit that magical age of 40 in March. I've always heard that you are not supposed to wear lotion or deoderant when you have a mammogram done, but there wasn't any mention of that when I made my appointment, and I forgot to ask. Is that true? Should I go without lotion or deoderant that day? Also, if you have any words of wisdom for my first mammogram, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My First Mammogram this Friday....I have some questions for those of you who have had them done. new
      #335789 - 09/08/08 09:19 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

My mom has gone for them and I have gone with her and thats what they have always told her. You could always call and ask your doctor if you wanted. She said its better than the other (pap. I haven't had one but both my mom and sister has and they said its really not that bad its cold though. hth> Glad to see you back I have miss you!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: My First Mammogram this Friday....I have some questions for those of you who have had them done. new
      #335790 - 09/08/08 09:43 AM
Nugget

thanks for the info Sheila! How've you been? I've just been busy and not had time to come "visit". I've missed you, too.

#335792 - 09/08/08 10:40 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

They do want your underarms to be free of any deodorants or anything else so there is no smudging when they "arrange" you for the picture. The place where I go provides wipes so you can clean it off right before the procedure, so if your appointment is later in the day you won't have to go all day without any deo. Yours may as well, which is why they didn't say anything to you about not wearing any.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#335794 - 09/08/08 11:00 AM
Nugget

Whew! That's good to know! Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease!

#335799 - 09/08/08 01:39 PM

Unregistered

I know that I was afraid when I went for my first mamogram but I quickly realized that I had nothing to fear. The tech in charge totally put me at ease and was gentle and friendly.They have told me each time before coming not to wear deoderant or lotion but there was deodarized wipes provided for me in the dressing room afterwards. Don't be shy in asking any questions before hand about how things will be done, I have found them very accomodating to respond in any way that they can. Good Luck! Happy 40th!

#335800 - 09/08/08 01:40 PM

Unregistered

I know that I was afraid when I went for my first mammogram but I quickly realized that I had nothing to fear. The tech in charge totally put me at ease and was gentle and friendly.They have told me each time before coming not to wear deoderant or lotion but there was deodarized wipes provided for me in the dressing room afterwards. Don't be shy in asking any questions before hand about how things will be done, I have found them very accomodating to respond in any way that they can. Good Luck! Happy 40th!

#335801 - 09/08/08 01:45 PM
Nugget

thanks so much Linda Jane! I'm a little nervous....but the more information I get from people who have gone through it, the more at ease I become.

#335808 - 09/08/08 04:10 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

There's nothing to worry about!! I was told no deodorant or lotion because it can also affect the picture - blurrs the films I guess. You will be asked likely to hold your breath while you're "pinched" in position, but it is only for a few seconds. The worst part of mine was the tech had cold hands and she kept trying to warm them up before she called me in. Very discrete and very friendly staff at my clinic. They expect you to be anxious, especially your first visit, but my techs have been very very nice.

I had my first mam at 30 as I have severly fibrocystic breasts and they check them to make sure it is just fibroids and nothing else. So by the time I reach 40 it'll be old hat!

Best of luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#335815 - 09/08/08 05:56 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Nugget -
Listen to the "older woman" here ... at 59 and a history of fibrocystic breast disease, I've had more than I care to remember. But, I promise you, compared to all the GI tests, pap smear, it will be the easiest by far. And, it is true, the deodorant, I believe, can cause abnormalities to appear on the mammogram - I think it's the aluminum in it - the scientists on here can verify for you. So, it's good to go early in the day and if you have to go on to work - just have your deo. with you. If not, do as the other post said, wash it off before you have the exam. Piece of cake, girlfriend! Happy #40! - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335829 - 09/09/08 08:59 AM
Nugget

Thanks so much, Toady. The more I find out the less anxious I am. The other thing I worry about is the fact that I'm fairly small in that area and concerned that it will be uncomfortable because I don't have much to put in the machine. Ya know?

A friend of mine said when she had her mammogram (she is fairly small, too) the tech kept pulling and tugging from around her back and under her arm and finally my friend told her "You can tug and pull everything up from my ankles and you still won't have enough to put in your machine!" HA! Ha!

#335831 - 09/09/08 09:05 AM
Nugget

Thanks so much, Dorothy, for the advice. I really appreciate it. Just like you said, this is going to be a breeze compared to what other things I've had to go through.

#335852 - 09/09/08 02:38 PM
GaGa

Too Funny!!!!! Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335865 - 09/09/08 07:00 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

That is too funny!!!I have no problem in that area but my friend has almost nothing.We keep joking about going in to have my extra put on her to even us out!

I just seen on the tv that they have found that a small amount of dye(possibly radio active but not enough to be a problem) can be injected into your veins and it will adhere to cancerous cells thus showing up better on a scan because dense breast tissue is hard to see through.This should help with less biopsies and invasive procedures in the future.Sounds interesting and I wish I could find out more info.It won't be much longer before I have to go and they'll have more than enough tissue to put in the machine.Yikes!!

Good luck!!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#335874 - 09/10/08 08:43 AM
Nugget

Dragonfly....
I saw that news story, too, about the new procedure to detect breast cancer. Sounds interesting and much more reliable.

I'm small in that area and actually...one side is a little smaller than the other!

#335880 - 09/10/08 11:32 AM
dragonfly

I'm bigger on one side than the other too!

I thought I was the only one!

--------------------

#335888 - 09/10/08 01:42 PM
Nugget

Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thankfully it's not noticable. I just notice it when I'm in the shower. I don't even think my husband notices.

#335894 - 09/10/08 03:34 PM
GaGa

Sorry, Ladies, but I think the statistics are that everyone is larger on one side than the other!
But, you're still special - just 'cause you're you!

--------------------

#335907 - 09/10/08 06:05 PM
dragonfly

So why are bras the same size on both sides?

--------------------

#335908 - 09/10/08 06:47 PM
Nugget

awwww....thanks GaGa...You are so sweet. {{{hugs}}}

#335909 - 09/10/08 06:47 PM
Nugget

good question?

#335928 - 09/11/08 09:39 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

You girls are totally cracking me up with this thread!!!

I am bigger on one side than the other...by like a centimeter! I have no boobs either. My hubby LOVED it when I was breastfeeding our kids. He said it was like having the boob fairy at our house. HA! I think I should be offended by that
I wish I could help you with this one, Nugget, but I have never had a mammogram. I hear it's better now than it used to be...hopefully! Let us know how it goes, k?

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#335954 - 09/11/08 08:27 PM
Nugget

thanks Fancy. So you are a member of the OBB (One Boob Bigger) Club, too? Wow, there's more of us than I thought!

I told my husband the other night after he whistled (you know how guys do) when I was getting ready for bed...."Just wait," I said..."after Friday, they'll be bigger!" Ha!

I told my mom that when I go to Curves Monday, that I'll probably have to tie them over my head to keep them out of my way when working out...or toss them over my shoulders. Ha!

Re: My First Mammogram this Friday....Nugget & Fancymom. new
      #335955 - 09/11/08 09:07 PM
GaGa

I want to hear from you tomorrow after it's all over...
For some of us "more mature women" - the "Curves" thing could almost be true! One of my favorites: an elderly woman called the ER one night and asked where your heart is located (she did not tell the nurse, but she was anticipating committing suicide by shooting herself and wanted to make sure she had the exact location). The nurse in the ER said - with most women it's right under the left boob. Later that night the same elderly woman was brought to the ER w/ a gunshot wound to the knee!! Get it....sagging boobs!!!???? {{Hugs}}

--------------------

#335963 - 09/12/08 05:25 AM
dragonfly

Hey I'm by no means elderly but they are already on their way south! I would like to know how to buy a bra that fits right. Do you buy for the big one and stuff the other or do you buy for the little one and bulge over the top? My hubby likes the bulging,more for him to fondle but it really doesn't look great in a t shirt!

--------------------

#335967 - 09/12/08 08:41 AM
Nugget

That's tooo funny GaGa! I'll definately post an update today after my appointment. It's not until 3:45 this afternoon.

#335968 - 09/12/08 08:43 AM
Nugget

LOL!!! LOL!!!

Mammogram UPDATE! I survived! new
      #335978 - 09/12/08 04:21 PM
Nugget

Well, it's over. Whew! Like everyone said, it wasn't that bad. "They" are kind of red where they were squeezed by the machine....hope the redness doesn't turn into bruises...I bruise easily. But it wasn't bad.

Also had a kidney stone xray as a 2-year Check-up on some stones that showed up a couple years ago. So will go to the doc about that next Tuesday....

Then...I recently had blood work done after my physical because I told my doc that I've been real tired alot lately...they called me and left a message on my cell phone when I was in getting my mammo done and said that my TSH (thyroid) levels were high and they want me to have it re-tested in 2-3 weeks

But now....for the good news.....I've been eating more salads lately with no problems! And I haven't used ANY Imodium for almost 2 weeks!!! What's up with that? I'm usually IBS-D.

Re: Mammogram UPDATE! I survived! new
      #335981 - 09/12/08 06:01 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am glad everything went out. Now I hope I make it though my ob vist next week not looking forward to it....
Have a good weekend. ((hugs))
emmasmom(Sheila)
ibs-c gas

#335984 - 09/12/08 07:22 PM
Nugget

Hi Sheila....Hope your OB visit goes well. I go for that on Oct. 9th. I'm not looking forward to it either.

#335990 - 09/13/08 05:46 AM
dragonfly

Thats awesome! Glad you made it through with minimal squishing.
Even though you may have some other issues to deal with,at least you have some answers and maybe some solutions.
Glad your ibs is behaving but remember to still be careful and don't over do it.I'm been in remission for two weeks now with minor gas pains and no d either.I'm eating pretty much whatever I want and not obsessing over it.So far so good. I just hope I don't get c cause that would suck!

--------------------

#336001 - 09/13/08 08:27 AM
Nugget

Glad to hear you are doing well, too, dragonfly! That's great! I'm still watching what I eat, but am eating more fruit and veggies than I have in a long time and not really worried about it much. I've been eating small portions of watermelon, avocado, salad, etc. Just trying to eat a very well balanced diet. Also, I have been eating a small portion of TCBY every evening. I buy it by the quart and have about a half cup every night. I honestly think that helps me. Hey! A person's gotta do what a person's gotta do! Right! And my weight has been staying the same, too. Not gaining. I've also been able to work in more exercise....riding my mountain bike, going to Curves at least 2 times a week, more yard work, walking, etc.

#336002 - 09/13/08 09:17 AM
dragonfly

Sounds great.I think it makes a difference when we don't think so much.I had pork side ribs last night and wasn't sure how that was going to go.I had some pretty gross burps later on but overall no issues.
How is your cottage going?Still doing work to it?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review