All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
what is your job?
      #334794 - 08/18/08 01:33 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Just wondering what you all do for a job or "career". Do you like it? Anything you wish you had done differently?

I love to get to know people! I have no clue what most of you do! Is it IBS condusive?

Oh, feel free to add your college major too, if you have one!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what is your job? new
      #334797 - 08/18/08 01:37 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Nurse,accountant,housekeeper,personal shopper,chef(thats pushing it!) handywoman,peacekeeper,childcare worker,therapist,chauffer,professional gamer,...
in other words...mom.

I always wanted to be a mom first and was planning on going back to school when my kids were grown up .Have a few years to go yet but if this stupid IBS doesn't go away.....schools out.Besides I'd rather be a kept woman.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334814 - 08/18/08 07:49 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I have a degree in French translation and did some work with it as an insurance claims rep for 10 years. TOO stressful!

I'm a corporate legal assistant now (for 10 months)working for a large firm (here 12 lawyers is large) and I really enjoy it. I still have stressful days and my tum goes array. But I have only had 1 attack at work and my boss let me go home (it was a BAD attack) without any question or problem. If my ibs was as bad as it was in '06 I'm sure my boss would still be as understanding as she is now and lets me leave early or come in late (mostly because of my chronic migraines). Not everyone in my firm has such a great boss, but I really lucked out.

In retrospect, I should have gone to trade school though - I enjoy being outside and workin with my hands too - maybe a carpenter or something! Or anything that pays more than this!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#334823 - 08/19/08 04:27 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I am a counselor. I work for a not-for-profit agency that works to prevent alcohol and substance abuse. I go into the schools and do prevention counseling with kids from K-12. It's sad and it's stressful - many of the kids I work with have parents who are alcohol/substance abusers, which does not make for a good home life, and my kids are really struggling.

It's stressful and it definitely affects my tummy and while I love feeling like I'm making a difference, I think I may be ready for a change - I've been working with at-risk kids for a number of years now, and it's making me very tired.

I'd love to hear what everybody else does, maybe I'll get some ideas!

--------------------
IBS-C

#334825 - 08/19/08 05:02 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

These days, I am an executive assistant at a growing retirement community. Prior to that, I spent nine years working in historic house museums. I left because of budget cuts and personalities.

When my IBS was bad, things were a little dicey giving museum tours and doing presentations. Now I have a less stressful job in a much more positive environment and have made peace with the fact I may not get paid to work in a museum ever again.

I have a BA in anthropology and an MS in historic preservation.

#334829 - 08/19/08 05:29 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Snorkie, I'd like to do something similar to what you're doing - I'd like to not be responsible for making such serious decisions - it's too hard on my tum!

I have a BA in Psychology and a Master's in School Counseling - at this point in my life, I think I'd be ok not using either one of those degrees

--------------------
IBS-C

#334834 - 08/19/08 07:08 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

n

#334838 - 08/19/08 07:54 AM
gibbo69olds

Reged: 08/14/08
Loc: MA, United States

I am a programmer for an HVAC controls company, we keep all the buildings you work in comfortable. I have been here almost a year with very little stress. I get to listen to the howard stern show all day long and no one bothers me. I am also a lanlord, I own two three family houses, six units total, and am looking for more. I would love to be a real estate expert full time. I can fix anything. I am going to throw in hobbies to because that is what really relaxes me, classic cars (I have a 69 Olds cutlass convertable), boats, snowmobiles, sports (football (Da Bears) and baseball (NY Yanks!!))and vacationing. Leaving next week for OBX!! I like my job just wish I was making as much as I did at my first job. Heck of a lot more stressful there though.

what do you folks do in your free time?

By the way, started this diet on Sunday and have been feeling surprisingly awesome. If this keeps up I am not sure if I would ever want to go back to my old ways. I will miss drinking with the boys though.

Re: It's a stressful life I think! new
      #334849 - 08/19/08 08:54 AM
dragonfly

It seems to me that stress is a major factor and common denominator in all our our lives.That's why I quit my job.I enjoyed it but my boss was stupid.Really stupid and I couldn't handle it anymore.

It may not be possible for everyone to do but don't you think that IBS wouldn't be such an issue if we could all do what we really love and not have to be stressed out by other people in our work environment.

--------------------

#334859 - 08/19/08 10:10 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

In my free time, I fence in the SCA, game with my husband & friends, read, and watch movies. Oh, and exercise. After six years, I still marvel at the fact I now voluntarily exercise.

I never realize how much stress actually does mess me up until I am out of a situation and feel better. I am less stressed since I started my current job.

#334903 - 08/19/08 02:42 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I agree completely...Stress - with a capital "S"!!!! is my biggest, most common trigger. I think I was born responsible and therefore feel like I have to fix everything and everyone.
I work in the Guidance Department of an alternative middle/high school. My students range from exceptional ed students (used to be called special ed), most of them w/ severe behavior problems, students expelled from other local schools (no tolerance policy, so expelled for fighting, guns, drugs), to kids who are potential drop outs and some who have been drop outs. Had one come to re-enroll that has been in adult prison 3-5 times in the last year. The kids don't stress me, my responsibilities and deadlines do and the fact that I've done it so long I know everything that needs to be done so everyone comes to me, and if no one does it, feel like I have to do it, irregardless whether it is really my responsibility. Plus, new principal who does not know how anything about her job.... STRESS! :-) However, I should be able to let it go... I don't want to be "reactive", but proactive. I've often asked God why He chose this personality for me! But, He reminds me it has caused me to have a very compassionate heart. And, in spite of the stress, I love what I do and feel like I am where I am supposed to be at this time in my life. Confusing, huh? And you're thinking "she's in Guidance???"

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#334914 - 08/19/08 05:31 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hi everyone! It's been a busy summer. I've been lurking but with the little one, I don't have too much time to reply anymore.

I have taught high school French and Spanish. However, I just got a job teaching middle school Spanish and will teach a Spanish class at the local community college. Busy, busy, busy.

Free time??? With a full time job plus and three kids, I don't have much of that!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#334926 - 08/19/08 06:51 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

human resources & safety management in a union plant.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#334931 - 08/19/08 07:13 PM
dragonfly

Have you read the book BOUNDRIES?It is very insightful for those of us who don't know how to say no and feel guilty when we do.I did a class at the church and found it very enlightening.

--------------------

#334935 - 08/19/08 07:56 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

My primary job is parenting my two little ones - 4 and 2. I have a part-time job, evenings only, at Barnes and Noble, and I am finally, at long last launching my career as a writer!

I have a BA in psych and an MA in Organizational Communication. I have no regrets about my education, except that I couldn't just keep going to school, I love learning. I also have no regrets about not having a career outside of the home - but I'm a late in life mama so I think that made a huge difference for me.

#334938 - 08/19/08 08:23 PM
pcrider

Reged: 07/06/08
Loc: AZ

I loved reading about what everyone does for a living and hobbies. I feel like I am in great company. I used to work for Merle Norman then Este Lauder as an advisor and makeup artist then I worked for Ralph Lauren, but the retail industry hours and holidays just wasn't condusive to raising a family. So I took time off went to school part time raised my family and when my youngest started school full time I went back to work in the education field so I could be on my daughters schedule. I absolutely love love love my job! I am a para educator for special needs children and am finishing my BA to become certified. I have worked with older kids with severe behavior problems but my favorite are the pre-schoolers I have worked with for the last 3 years. I basically get to be a kid everyday, it is wonderful! I will never have a large bank account, but the trade offs are worth every penny. As for hobbies... I love horses. I had to put my horse down last year, he had some kind of tumors that were spreading out of control. I tried everything and after a year of no improvement I made the decision. My horses name was PC, so in memory my name is pcrider. Just to remember the wonderful times we had riding in the desert and mountains together. He was my best friend, I miss him! But good news I am going to see a man about a horse this week, I think I may be about ready to find a new friend.

#334939 - 08/19/08 08:59 PM
GaGa

Never, never, never have any regrets about staying home with your little ones. I always was a working mom (one child) and before I went into the education field (now 19 years - my second career ), it was very difficult to stay home when my daughter was ill or take off for everything involving her. However, she came first even if I had to sacrifice a promotion or give up my lunch hours so I could pick her up from school.... It was all worth it, but difficult. Now that my own daughter (who has a double major in psychology and business and owns a business with her husband) is a stay at home mom of a 2-year-old and a 6-year-old - I would definitely say, without a doubt, it is much harder to be a stay at home mom!!! The day care actually potty-trained my daughter for me!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#334940 - 08/19/08 09:08 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm a first grade teacher in the inner city. No its not really IBS condusive. I cant go to the bathroom whenever I need to. I used to have an assistant but I dont know if I do yet this year. Plus I have 28 students in my class! We just went back to work last Thursday just for meetings and to set up our classrooms and everyday that I've been back I have had urgent bathroom issues. Its not air conditioned so its sooo hot and muggy in the room which doesnt help. Plus we have a new principal and its stressful getting everything ready. Hopefully once I get back into the swing of things I will start feeling better. I felt great while off this summer!!!

Stefanie

#334943 - 08/19/08 09:27 PM
GaGa

In the past, while seeing a clinical psychologist due to the PTSD, I read a couple of books about setting boundaries and, naturally, I could have written all the books about co-dependency and being he adult child of an alcoholic (even though I was very young when this occurred)....Coming from a dysfunctional home - I could be the poster child!
And..... I am 100% better than I was at setting boundaries. In fact, my principal is quite amazed when I say "no" these days, but I feel empowered! And, I used to be such a Type A + perfectionist, my own sister-in-law refused to ever do a bridal shower with me again. Of course, she's the type that would put tupperware and fine china on a table and I'm the one making sure every edge of the tablecloth is even! LOL I've read all the books, done most of the research, worked with some excellent clinicians when I worked in mental health, even can help many others, but I haven't always applied the "boundaries" application and end up hitting a brick wall before I realize I'm even near it.

--------------------

Thanks Dorothy! new
      #334985 - 08/20/08 10:52 AM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I have loved all the jobs I have held and learned tons from each of them. Never have I loved being a SAHM as much as the other work I have done - I was meant to do this. Now that we are learning that my son has some developmental delays I am even more thankful that I can be home with him to work with him at his pace. It IS extremely difficult, but I love it, it teaches me so much (Honestly I think I'm the one being parented) and I would not - could not - imagine doing anything else.

Ironically, my IBS became much more manageable when I stopped "working" (hee hee) even though my life is still very stressful - I do think I am happier and feel more in control of my path - not control, maybe influence is a better word....there's no control w/2 toddlers in the house BTW, I DO wish someone else would potty train my kids!!!!!

so many interesting jobs! new
      #335029 - 08/20/08 04:22 PM
Jordy

Many of you do what I have thought about doing....MA in counseling psych, guidance counselor, working with special ed kids, etc. (Now having second thoughts).Thanks for sharing. Hope people continue to share!

--------------------

Re: so many interesting jobs! new
      #335042 - 08/20/08 06:07 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I am a fifth grade elementary teacher. I have been doing this for 12 years now. It is a great job and although I had regrets about not staying home with my children, I have the best job to be mom with hours from 8-3:30, summers off, holidays and snow days! I too start back to school next week with meetings and then the children start the day after Labor day. We have a new principal and I am very anxious to see how things will be. Our other one was so loved. Our new one seems to be pretty good as well. I just can't believe how fast the summer went!

Re: so many interesting jobs! new
      #335044 - 08/20/08 06:20 PM
Jordy

Is it stressful being a teacher? Are you happy with teaching, Angela?

--------------------

#335053 - 08/21/08 04:20 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I was an electrical engineer at an aerospace company for 6 years. I designed missile release systems for fighter planes. Pretty crazy. I mostly sat at my desk and did my work. I could use the bathroom whenever I needed to. I just hated when I had to be in meetings. I quit my job at the end of March, had my daughter in April and am a full time SAHM. It is the BEST job in the world. I am so thankful that we are financially stable and that I can stay home. I was sick of my job for the last year or 2 that I was there. And after our struggles with infertility and our tough journey to have a child there was no way I was going to leave her with someone else. I have to say this is the toughest job ever. But also the best. I am learning so much from Rebecca. And I love being able to teach her (growing up I did want to be a teacher). Engineering was fun, but being a SAHM is awesome!

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

bump for Angela, the teacher-nt new
      #335156 - 08/22/08 01:11 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6688

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review