All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: It's a stressful life I think! new
      #334903 - 08/19/08 02:42 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I agree completely...Stress - with a capital "S"!!!! is my biggest, most common trigger. I think I was born responsible and therefore feel like I have to fix everything and everyone.
I work in the Guidance Department of an alternative middle/high school. My students range from exceptional ed students (used to be called special ed), most of them w/ severe behavior problems, students expelled from other local schools (no tolerance policy, so expelled for fighting, guns, drugs), to kids who are potential drop outs and some who have been drop outs. Had one come to re-enroll that has been in adult prison 3-5 times in the last year. The kids don't stress me, my responsibilities and deadlines do and the fact that I've done it so long I know everything that needs to be done so everyone comes to me, and if no one does it, feel like I have to do it, irregardless whether it is really my responsibility. Plus, new principal who does not know how anything about her job.... STRESS! :-) However, I should be able to let it go... I don't want to be "reactive", but proactive. I've often asked God why He chose this personality for me! But, He reminds me it has caused me to have a very compassionate heart. And, in spite of the stress, I love what I do and feel like I am where I am supposed to be at this time in my life. Confusing, huh? And you're thinking "she's in Guidance???"

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what is your job? new
      #334914 - 08/19/08 05:31 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hi everyone! It's been a busy summer. I've been lurking but with the little one, I don't have too much time to reply anymore.

I have taught high school French and Spanish. However, I just got a job teaching middle school Spanish and will teach a Spanish class at the local community college. Busy, busy, busy.

Free time??? With a full time job plus and three kids, I don't have much of that!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#334926 - 08/19/08 06:51 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

human resources & safety management in a union plant.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#334931 - 08/19/08 07:13 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Have you read the book BOUNDRIES?It is very insightful for those of us who don't know how to say no and feel guilty when we do.I did a class at the church and found it very enlightening.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334935 - 08/19/08 07:56 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

My primary job is parenting my two little ones - 4 and 2. I have a part-time job, evenings only, at Barnes and Noble, and I am finally, at long last launching my career as a writer!

I have a BA in psych and an MA in Organizational Communication. I have no regrets about my education, except that I couldn't just keep going to school, I love learning. I also have no regrets about not having a career outside of the home - but I'm a late in life mama so I think that made a huge difference for me.

#334938 - 08/19/08 08:23 PM
pcrider

Reged: 07/06/08
Loc: AZ

I loved reading about what everyone does for a living and hobbies. I feel like I am in great company. I used to work for Merle Norman then Este Lauder as an advisor and makeup artist then I worked for Ralph Lauren, but the retail industry hours and holidays just wasn't condusive to raising a family. So I took time off went to school part time raised my family and when my youngest started school full time I went back to work in the education field so I could be on my daughters schedule. I absolutely love love love my job! I am a para educator for special needs children and am finishing my BA to become certified. I have worked with older kids with severe behavior problems but my favorite are the pre-schoolers I have worked with for the last 3 years. I basically get to be a kid everyday, it is wonderful! I will never have a large bank account, but the trade offs are worth every penny. As for hobbies... I love horses. I had to put my horse down last year, he had some kind of tumors that were spreading out of control. I tried everything and after a year of no improvement I made the decision. My horses name was PC, so in memory my name is pcrider. Just to remember the wonderful times we had riding in the desert and mountains together. He was my best friend, I miss him! But good news I am going to see a man about a horse this week, I think I may be about ready to find a new friend.

#334939 - 08/19/08 08:59 PM
GaGa

Never, never, never have any regrets about staying home with your little ones. I always was a working mom (one child) and before I went into the education field (now 19 years - my second career ), it was very difficult to stay home when my daughter was ill or take off for everything involving her. However, she came first even if I had to sacrifice a promotion or give up my lunch hours so I could pick her up from school.... It was all worth it, but difficult. Now that my own daughter (who has a double major in psychology and business and owns a business with her husband) is a stay at home mom of a 2-year-old and a 6-year-old - I would definitely say, without a doubt, it is much harder to be a stay at home mom!!! The day care actually potty-trained my daughter for me!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#334940 - 08/19/08 09:08 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm a first grade teacher in the inner city. No its not really IBS condusive. I cant go to the bathroom whenever I need to. I used to have an assistant but I dont know if I do yet this year. Plus I have 28 students in my class! We just went back to work last Thursday just for meetings and to set up our classrooms and everyday that I've been back I have had urgent bathroom issues. Its not air conditioned so its sooo hot and muggy in the room which doesnt help. Plus we have a new principal and its stressful getting everything ready. Hopefully once I get back into the swing of things I will start feeling better. I felt great while off this summer!!!

Stefanie

#334943 - 08/19/08 09:27 PM
GaGa

In the past, while seeing a clinical psychologist due to the PTSD, I read a couple of books about setting boundaries and, naturally, I could have written all the books about co-dependency and being he adult child of an alcoholic (even though I was very young when this occurred)....Coming from a dysfunctional home - I could be the poster child!
And..... I am 100% better than I was at setting boundaries. In fact, my principal is quite amazed when I say "no" these days, but I feel empowered! And, I used to be such a Type A + perfectionist, my own sister-in-law refused to ever do a bridal shower with me again. Of course, she's the type that would put tupperware and fine china on a table and I'm the one making sure every edge of the tablecloth is even! LOL I've read all the books, done most of the research, worked with some excellent clinicians when I worked in mental health, even can help many others, but I haven't always applied the "boundaries" application and end up hitting a brick wall before I realize I'm even near it.

--------------------

Thanks Dorothy! new
      #334985 - 08/20/08 10:52 AM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I have loved all the jobs I have held and learned tons from each of them. Never have I loved being a SAHM as much as the other work I have done - I was meant to do this. Now that we are learning that my son has some developmental delays I am even more thankful that I can be home with him to work with him at his pace. It IS extremely difficult, but I love it, it teaches me so much (Honestly I think I'm the one being parented) and I would not - could not - imagine doing anything else.

Ironically, my IBS became much more manageable when I stopped "working" (hee hee) even though my life is still very stressful - I do think I am happier and feel more in control of my path - not control, maybe influence is a better word....there's no control w/2 toddlers in the house BTW, I DO wish someone else would potty train my kids!!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 364 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review