All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Smoking / Second Hand Smoke and IBS
      #334022 - 08/05/08 10:38 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I've always been curious if the environment I grew up in has anything to do with my digestive system troubles. I've always had IBS, I believe. When I was a kid, the pediatrician called it a "nervous stomach".

I grew up around LOTS of second-hand smoke. I hated it. I have never smoked, myself, but was around cigarette smoke constantly as a kid. I always had headaches until I moved away and went to college....I got away from the smoky environment.

So I have read a little on-line today about the effects of cigarette smoke on our digestive system and, as one mighet expect, it's not good.

Did anyone else here grow up around second hand smoke, is currently around second hand smoke, or do you smoke?

Just curious whether or not we all have this in common.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Smoking / Second Hand Smoke and IBS new
      #334030 - 08/05/08 11:26 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

My mom smoked through her entire pregnacy with me.My dad smoked all his life and mom quit at some point but ya I grew up around it.
When my son was a baby,we would visit my parents and my dad and brothers would smoke around him.It took us a few times before we realized the cranky irritated screaming child at 2 in the morning was like that because of the smoke.From then on we would leave the room with him or go outside.I asked my brothers and dad to stop smoking around the kids but my dad is well.....it's his house right.Once my brothers had kids he finally started smoking outside when he saw everyone else who smoked leaving to smoke.
I think it definately has aconnection.How could it not.ciggarettes are evil.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334032 - 08/05/08 11:44 AM
Nugget

I've always wanted to ask my mom if she smoked when she was pregnant with me....but I know it would make her feel guilty and terrible. So I never asked. I'm pretty sure she did, though. Even so, she smoked through my whole childhood, so that didn't do me any good either. Finally after I got out of college and was living back at home until I found a job, I kept pestering her to quit smoking. She finally agreed to try it for one day. She said "I'll try it for one day and then you have to leave me alone!!" So she quit for one day, tried to have a smoke the next day and it made her sick. She hasn't had one since and that has been 18 years ago!

I get mad when I see parents now days smoking around kids. It's hard on pets, too.

#334036 - 08/05/08 12:42 PM
dragonfly

People just don't realize how bad they are.My son gets real upset cause he thinks anyone who smokes is going to die and that bothers him.He has told his grandpa this but it doesn't matter.My dad just won't quit!
I'm so glad your mom did it.That is awesome!

I was wondering.....you don't have kids have you ever thought of adopting?Don't answer if this is too personal.I just see a number of ladies on here that can't have kids and was wondering if anyone had tried adoption.

--------------------

#334039 - 08/05/08 01:33 PM
Nugget

Dragonfly....
I don't mind you asking at all about the adoption issue. Actually, at first, my husband and I did talk a little about adopting, but then decided we were happy the way things are. We have our pets and they are our "kids". My husband has two older children from his first marriage, but they choose not to keep in touch...which is really sad. It's hard on him. So we enjoy all the kids around us....our neices and nephews and their children, our friend's children, etc. I never really saw myself as having kids...even when I was real young...I never "longed" to have children of my own. I guess maybe that was God's plan so that it would be easier on me when I had to have my hysterectomy. Things happen for a reason. I do have to admit....the first Mother's Day after I had my hysterectomy was really hard for me. It just hit me that I would NEVER have kids of my own. But I moved on....
I love my dogs...and I believe there is no greater unconditional bond than that between someone and their dog.

#334040 - 08/05/08 01:36 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I grew up with smoking my dad.I realize after I left home or even when i would spend the night some were how much better I could breath. There is no smoking in are house or car. After we had are daughter we put a stop to it. My dad is very respectful about it when shes around. He has tried to stop I have seen him but its just to hard for him...
We have thought about adpoting but just don't know how to do it or were to go and its so expensive to!
emmasom
ibs-c
gas

#334041 - 08/05/08 01:42 PM
Nugget

Sheila...that's great that your dad is respectful about it. I feel bad for kids who are living in a smokers environment. I felt so much better when I got away from it. No more daily headaches and my clothes actually smelled fresh! I hated going to school smelling like cigarettes.

#334048 - 08/05/08 02:43 PM
artimmersion

Reged: 08/04/08

My boyfriend smokes and I have been trying to get him to quit for more than a year...

--------------------
food allergies: soy, dairy, peas, lentils...& more
IBS-A
nausea, dizziness, fatigue
when will it end?

http://artimmersion.etsy.com

#334050 - 08/05/08 03:18 PM
dragonfly

Well we have a lot of friends that have adopted and here in Canada it's a pretty tough process.One you would only want to do if you couldn't live without kids.Friends of mine have been in the "process" for over a year with classes and workshops,in home studies etc.They recently came back from a big conference where they got to "choose" the kids they were interested in.They only found one they felt was for them and they ended up not getting her so...God does have a plan for everyone.It just may not be the one we really wanted!
I hope that your hubbies kids change their minds and you can have a relationship with them.That is a tough situation.
At least dogs listen when told to and they certainly don't talk back so enjoy them as long as you can.I couldn't live without my pets either.
Take care.

--------------------

#334055 - 08/05/08 04:34 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Count me in too... I think my mother smoked some during her pregnancy with me and my dad smoked his entire life and eventually died of lung cancer. It was a generational/situational thing - growing up on a farm during the 30s/40s - he and all his brothers started smoking early - then came WWII - more smoking, especially after he had his shoulder blown off at the Battle of the Bulge. (History lesson here! :-) He mainly smoked a pipe, though - occasionally a cigar and early in the morning 1 cigarette with his coffee. Our home was built in the late 1800s with 14-foot ceilings and exceptionally large, airy rooms, so there never really was a "smoke" smell in the house - but, my brothers and I certainly were exposed. Then, being older than you guys, when I first started working it was OK for people to smoke in offices - that's when I was super exposed to second-hand smoke! Now, I'm so sensitive, I can't be near it or even go in a convenience store where the odor is strong - takes my breath away.
Now for a "hoot" for you younger girls ... I tell my kids at school that it's a miracle I did not destroy all my brain cells when I was younger, not from smoking pot, but by "huffing" - but no one knew that's what it was. My dad owned one of the two gas stations (used to be called service stations:-) in town and I LOVED the smell of gas! (it smelled different back then:-) Can you believe it? He would fuss at me continually for being out there sniffing the gas! LOL!! And, I loved the smell of lighter fluid - I could sit forever sniffing my dad's or grandfather's lighter. OF COURSE - like we are learning now - all of our mistakes (things we did not know was bad for us) show up in the next generation... God just took care of me - because I should not have any brain cells left!
I had one kid who used to come to school stoned every day and I'd tell him ">>>>>, you've got to stop - you and I can't afford to lose anymore brain cells!" He'd just look at me and say something like "Oh Wow...Yeah"!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 537 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5193

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review