All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Where to move?
      #333336 - 07/27/08 02:12 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Okay, I feel like I want to make a change and move someplace else. Can you all offer opinions on nice places to live? I've been nowhere in the US! I'm thinking maybe NC or New Mexico or Tennessee, or .....

Also, how do you find a job long-distance?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Where to move? new
      #333337 - 07/27/08 02:16 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

My preference would be someplace cooler than it is here today.

Maybe try the Internet for job search.
Best of luck to you.

#333348 - 07/27/08 04:42 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Just out of curiosity, what kind of job are you looking for?

Not that I'd recommend Buffalo for any kind of job! My husband and I are thinking about moving away because we've both gone as far as we can with our careers here.

--------------------
IBS-C

#333350 - 07/27/08 04:50 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Come to Canada!!!Free health care.(for whatever its worth to Ibs )

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#333361 - 07/27/08 09:54 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I always wanted to live in NY - the Rochester area, or the Adirondacks. But Fen's right, it's a bit tough job-wise. Otherwise I love the climate and nature up there (I lived outside of DC up until a few wks ago and couln't stand the humidity).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333362 - 07/28/08 04:01 AM
Fen

Zara, that's funny - my husband and I are thinking we want to move to Ithaca. It's so beautiful there with all of the gorges and the Finger Lakes. And it's so wholesome there! There's organic farmers' markets and multiple co-ops and famous vegetarian restaurants and lots of hiking! My crunchy-granola self would fit right in!!

We have to find jobs though

I'm pretty jealous of you living in the Czech Republic, though! Are you working there?

Where are you from originally?

--------------------
IBS-C

#333366 - 07/28/08 05:37 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I love the Finger Lakes, it's so beautiful there! The last time I went was last summer, we went for wine-tasting to several vineyards! I'm not much of a wine drinker but I really enjoyed the nature!

I'm actually originally from the Czech Republic while my husband is from upstate NY (hence my love for the state). We met in college, first I moved to the US and now both of us moved to the CR. Gotta try out both countries since we have the chance, right?

We also used to play the "where would we go if we weren't going overseas" game, and we thought living in Colorado would be nice, it seems like it has both jobs and pretty nature. Or Montana, we went to Missoula last year and boy was it gorgeous out there! The mountains were spectacular! But once again, it's so tough to make living there as well! It's not fair, it seems like so often there is a trade off between a nice area and actually being able to make a living!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#333397 - 07/28/08 08:24 AM
Jordy

I heard it was really hard to get into Canada if you aren't a citizen.

--------------------

Where do you live ?-nt new
      #333398 - 07/28/08 08:25 AM
Jordy

--------------------

#333399 - 07/28/08 08:27 AM
Jordy

I'm to the point that I would be open to doing anything! My degree is in a liberal arts area, so I'm not really "trained" to do anything. What do you do?

Buffalo NY....way too cold for me!

--------------------

#333400 - 07/28/08 08:28 AM
Jordy

Quote:

How does one do this???

--------------------

Re: Where do you live ?-nt new
      #333403 - 07/28/08 08:33 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Central Rockies

Colorado? new
      #333406 - 07/28/08 08:38 AM
Jordy

I've heard Colorada is so beautiful! One of my problems is, I don't know if I prefer mountains or water. The most important thing is low cost of living and a nice climate.

--------------------

#333409 - 07/28/08 08:51 AM
Fen

Quote:

Quote:

How does one do this???

I've been searching online a bit. Type "employment" and the city you're researching into Google and see what comes up. You can often find the city's newspaper listings that way. Like I said, we're looking into Ithaca - my husband applied for his dream job at Cornell (!) and I just applied for one at Ithaca college.

Buffalo's not as cold as the rest of the country makes it out to be

--------------------
IBS-C

#333413 - 07/28/08 09:05 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I don't know I haven't left Canada in 12 years.Things might be different now.I'm sure if you are from a foreign country you'll have no problems.I thought Canada let anyone in.
We have alot of Americans with cottages up here and they keep coming back and I know a few have stayed so I'm not sure how hard it would be.Probably if you had a job to come to it wouldn't be a problem.I think quite a few live in Sarnia,work in US and commute everyday.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#333427 - 07/28/08 10:20 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Ok. I'm VERY biased because I LOVE where I live. I think everybody should move here...it's AWESOME!!

I live in Charleston, SC. Our house is 3 miles from the beach. There is ALWAYS something going on here. All our friends have boats. We take your kids to the beach all the time. It's great! The downtown area is on the water, and they have boat shows on the water, an open air marketplace, ghost tours, carriage rides, rooftop restaurants, free outdoor concerts...the list goes on and on!! We even have a "Polar Bear Swim" on New Year's Day, and everybody runs and jumps in the freezing ocean. Then drinks beers after on the beach. There are lots of restaurants and bars on the beach. It's wonderful. This past 4th of July, we watched the fireworks over the water and had a little picnic on the beach with friends. The weather is great too. It is above 70 degrees about 9 months out of the year. Can't complain. Only drawback is there's lots of tourists here between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but that's only 3 months of the year...not too bad.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Re: Colorado? new
      #333439 - 07/28/08 11:58 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Colorado IS beautiful!! I live just outside of Denver. And there's no bugs or humidity, which is the prime reason we moved out here Winters are VERY mild around Denver, contrary to what most people think. It doesn't get bitterly cold here like it does in the midwest. Summers can get hot, but there's no humidity, so it's a different kind of "hot". The mountains are beautiful, the food is great, and there is a general culture of healthiness, which I love. We have one of the lowest obesity rates in the country. I would not say the cost of living is generally low, but some cities are lower/higher than others.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

SC new
      #333444 - 07/28/08 12:19 PM
Jordy

I am thinking of this area! Hey, I just want you're life! Nursing and life near the water.

I've read in H's books that humidity is a trigger for IBS, so that really concerns me.

Have you lived in SC your whole life? I just watched "Cape Fear" so maybe that's why I have SC on my mind! Plus, I love the history and atmosphere.

--------------------

Re: SC new
      #333448 - 07/28/08 12:29 PM
fancymom

Yes. The humidity bothers me sometimes...but I'm kind-of used to it now I guess. I have lived here for 7 years, but I am originally from Georgia. So, very similar climate.

There is LOTS of wonderful history here. Old, beautiful homes, restaurants, churches and sites to see. Everyone who lives here loves it!! I cannot complain. I love being a Nurse, and living near the water too!! Now, if I could just get rid of my IBS, my life really would be PERFECT!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#333449 - 07/28/08 12:31 PM
fancymom

Ok, Lisa Marie. You live in the mountains, and I live at the beach. Wanna trade homes for a vacation every year?? Let's plan it! HA!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Where to move? - Fen new
      #333450 - 07/28/08 12:52 PM

Unregistered

Fen you're from Buffalo? I live in Erie, PA! We should see if anyone is close and try and get together! I'll never forget going to the Taste of Buffalo in 2006 and having an attack downtown! It was awful! We had to "sneak" into Applebee's to use their bathroom, I thought I was gonna die!

#333459 - 07/28/08 02:07 PM
Fen

jhuggs, that sounds great! What's a good halfway point between Buffalo and Erie? Fredonia?

Is anyone else on the board from around the area??

I hate the Taste of Buffalo, by the way. Even as a kid when my parents used to take me, I'd feel like crap afterward. Because it's all greasy, gross, fatty food there. Some might argue that the festival is representative of the fact that many Buffalonians themselves are greasy, gross and fatty!

--------------------
IBS-C

#333475 - 07/28/08 04:13 PM
Lisa Marie

Sounds great! I could definitely use a beach to sit on right now!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#333491 - 07/29/08 06:34 AM
fancymom

...and I could use some cooler weather!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#333524 - 07/29/08 12:18 PM

Unregistered

I'd say that's about right. It's just a straight shot on 90 for me... Let's see if anyone else is nearby! If you want, you can e-mail me jennyhuggler@hotmail.com.

Cooler weather..... new
      #333529 - 07/29/08 12:35 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

We are enjoying a mild, breezy 50+ degree day here - it's very nice I have to say. But if you need a lot of sunlight, you'd have problems in the winter....

#333534 - 07/29/08 01:31 PM
Jordy

I think I would really like to move to Colorado, but the cost of living seems high, if my research is correct.

--------------------

Re: Cooler weather..... new
      #333535 - 07/29/08 01:32 PM
Jordy

Do you get sunlight in the other seasons? What is winter like? And how is the cost of living?

--------------------

Keep them coming guys/girls!!!!-nt new
      #333536 - 07/29/08 01:33 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: Cooler weather..... new
      #333540 - 07/29/08 01:56 PM
Lisa Marie

I was just in Seattle a few weeks ago and the weather was beautiful! I think I'd be happy if I could go to Seattle for a month, every July. It was definitely weird having so much daylight at 9pm though! I certainly wouldn't be able to handle the rain or the winters, unfortunately...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Keep them coming guys/girls!!!!-nt new
      #333544 - 07/29/08 02:31 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Jordy,

Where do you live right now? Anyway, if I were moving here are a couple of places I would check out...

Asheville, NC and Boise, ID. Both are really two of the up and coming cities. Don't know about cost of living in Boise, but Asheville is suppose to be very reasonable. Another place where cost of living is reasonable is Indianapolis. My best friend used to live there and loved it.

Sharon

Asheville.... new
      #333603 - 07/30/08 10:28 AM
Jordy

is in the running. I think I would like Asheville, Chapel Hill, Wilmington, knoxville, nashville, SC, NM, Missouri, Coloroda.....

Indianapolis is very affordable...but don't know if I could live in INdiana.

--------------------

I would NOT recommend moving to the midwest.... new
      #333621 - 07/30/08 02:20 PM
Lisa Marie

I grew up there, and the weather sucks!! One cycle of seasons, and you'll be begging to leave!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

What do you do? new
      #333625 - 07/30/08 04:40 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Where you decide to move really depends on what you do for a living, and the need of that skill and talent in that local market.

What do you do?

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I would NOT recommend moving to the midwest.... new
      #333807 - 08/01/08 01:28 PM
Jordy

I already live in the midwest. I don't I want to live here the rest of my life.

I heard that the Denver area gets lots and lots and lots of snow? How are the winters? Have you ever heard of Little or Auroura?

Do you work? What's the job market like? I sent for a relocation pack which hopefully, will answer many questions.

Thanks, Lisa Marie

--------------------

Re: What do you do? new
      #333808 - 08/01/08 01:29 PM
Jordy

I really don't have a skill or training to be anything specific. My BA is in a liberal arts area....so I would be willing to do anything as long as I could pay the bills!

--------------------

#333813 - 08/01/08 02:58 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I lived in Aurora, CO for 4 years...loved it. Littleton and Aurora are suburbs just south of Denver. The climate there is great, sunny probably 300 days of the year, even when it's snowing The summers are hot, but not steamy, rather dry. And, the saying goes...if you don't like the weather when you wake up, give it a few hours, cause it'll probably change. The mountains are beautiful. I didn't find it any more or less expensive than any of the other big cities I've lived in (Toronto, Tampa). When we lived there, (late 90's)we lived on just my husband's salary (mid-30's). I'm sure it's probably cheaper to live outside the "city". It's not about how much money you make, it's what you do with it!

#333864 - 08/02/08 06:16 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I live in Charlotte, NC. It's nice, but humid. The cost of living is a bit high, but there are surrounding smaller towns that don't cost as much. We do have a lot of very good medical facilities & doctors. Geographically, it's the perfect location because you're 4 hours away from the mountains & 4 hours away from the coast. But again, the humidity is really hard to cope with. I actually have been thinking about moving out west, to a desert area, to escape the humidity!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#333867 - 08/03/08 05:39 AM
pcrider

Reged: 07/06/08
Loc: AZ

How about AZ? I live in the east valley of the Phoenix area and love it. Yes our summer temps can get extreme, but it's only a few weeks out of the entire year. The rest of the time it is beautiful! I am a sunshine person, I love waking up everyday to early sunlight and when I come home from work I still have several hours of daylight. I just spent the past 6 months up in the northwest and it was aweful! Even though that's where I grew up, and it is beautiful the dark, gloomy, rainy, wet and cold where terrible. No wonder Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the nation, ther's alot to be said for light therapy! As for cost of living and job availability, we are pretty much average. There are places where houses are inexpensive, but you have to make some trade offs. And depending on what you do, I would hire a headhunter before I moved. Just to let you know San Diego is only 6 hours away and the mountains are even closer. I love the desert it has its own unique beauty, I like riding my horses in the desert and other places and you'd be amazed at the beauty you can miss until you slow your pace. Best of luck wherever you decide!

#333880 - 08/03/08 01:39 PM
Lisa Marie

Don't believe it - we really don't get a whole lot of snow in Denver. The mountains do, yes, but not really the lower elevations. Sure, there are always exceptions, but for the most part, the winters are very temperate. We don't get that bitter cold that the midwest gets from Canada. And unlike the midwest, the sun shines in the winter! The winters here are AWESOME compared to the midwest. Even if it's a blizzard in the morning, by mid-afternoon the sun is shining, the snow is mostly gone, and you'd never know it snowed 6 hours earlier.

I'm not sure about the job market. I can't imagine it's that much different than anywhere else. I'm an aerospace engineer, so my industry is a pretty big one out here. Family home prices average $250,000 to $300,000, which can be hard for midwesterners to grasp. But it's definitely cheaper to live in the suburbs. I live in Lakewood, which is the next city north of Littleton.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#333885 - 08/03/08 02:11 PM
Jordy

Hey, Kim

Why did you move from CO to FL? That's a big switch in climate! Especially since you liked CO?

--------------------

#333886 - 08/03/08 02:20 PM
Jordy

Oh, I'm so confused. AZ was once my number one choice....Tucson area. Never thought of the Pheonix area but I think one of my former college friends lives in Chandler or Gilbert. She liked CA better....but CA is so expensive. I wish I could afford San Diego!!!

Quote:

I just spent the past 6 months up in the northwest and it was aweful! Even though that's where I grew up, and it is beautiful the dark, gloomy, rainy, wet and cold where terrible. No wonder Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the nation, ther's alot to be said for light therapy

Okay, this place is definitely out. I think I have SADS! not good! Thanks for the info!!!

What city do you live in? I've heard that Phoenix is having lots of problems with crime. How do you deal with the hot, hot summers?

Geez, I had an apartment picked out in Tucson and everything. That's when I was only considering AZ or NM.....for the sunshine! Sunshine can make or break my day.

Please share anything you care to share about the area! I could email you? Do you rent or own? Did you have a job before you moved? And how long have you lived there now?

Thank you so much!

--------------------

#333887 - 08/03/08 02:26 PM
Jordy

Oh my, this was one of my options too! The humidity concerns me too. You seriously thinking of moving out west? Water and mountains? You got it all!

--------------------

#333888 - 08/03/08 02:35 PM
Jordy

I was sort of wondering if the snow was "that bad"! They always show these real graphic pictures on our local weather part of the evening news.

Wow, those home prices do sound high!

Why did you move to CO and when? Where you alone or already married? I'm sort of scared to go someplace all by myself.

I have to decide if I want any type of winter at all (I hate digging my car out)!, I guess! It's hard to believe that your winters are that much better than here. YAY for that!

I'm glad you are so happy there, Lisa Marie!!!! Thanks for any information!! I could email you if that's possible. If not, I understand!

Are these cities close to the colleges in Denver?

--------------------

Re: What do you do? new
      #333898 - 08/03/08 06:02 PM
Double J

In Sweetwater County, Wyoming, SWEDA (Sweetwater Economic Development Association) has announced that there are 600 jobs in the county that need filled. You can visit them at sweda.net.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#333909 - 08/03/08 06:38 PM
Lisa Marie

I know it's hard to believe, but the winters really are milder than the midwest. Like I said, there can be exceptions to that, but generally when it snows, the snow is gone within a day. The big difference out here is that because we don't get much precipitation during the year (it IS a desert), they don't salt the roads during the winter, which can make things interesting! They use sand or magnesium chloride instead.

My husband (then boyfriend) and I moved here from Illinois right after undergrad to attend graduate school at the University of Colorado at Boulder. We weren't ready to get jobs yet. Since I knew I had a better chance of finding an aerospace job if I lived in an area big on that industry, and we LOVE the mountains and weather, CO seemed like the logical choice. We got married a few years after we moved out here.

I guess you have to define "close"... There are quite a few universities out here, state universities in Boulder, Denver, and Fort Collins, smaller colleges elsewhere... I think if you were attending college, you'd want to live close to or in the particular city, or make sure you're on a bus route, which is what we did in grad school.

Yes, I would have been very scared to move out here alone But I know several people who have done it in recent years. Denver's a great place to be single, by the way!!!

I'm SO happy here! In fact, my parents hope to move out here within 3 years, which I'm very excited about!!! Knowing their grandchild is on the way is good motivation for them, I think!

Email me anytime! lisa_m_turner@illinoisalumni.org

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

I don't believe that Seattle has the highest suicide rate ... new
      #333911 - 08/03/08 07:00 PM
Double J

... the lastest data as of 17 Jan 2008 can be found here: http://www.suicidology.org/associations/1045/files/2005datapgs.pdf

--------------------

#333913 - 08/03/08 08:12 PM
pcrider

I live in the east valley which pretty much consists of Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek, Apache Junction, Then you start getting south toward Tucson there's Oro Valley, Gold Canyon(which I think is technically east valley), but you have a pretty large range. I've lived here for 20 years and nothing beats our sunsets and we get some really awesome lightning shows during "monsoon season" That's the only time we get some humidity, but like I said its only a few weeks then you get 9 months of bliss! When my husband and I moved here neither of us had a job, but within a few weeks we were both working. My husband is in HR work and I work with special needs children mostly Pre-K thru K. I am trying to finish my BA in early childhood. I have given continuing education a whole new meaning. I took the last 18 years off to raise my family and when my youngest started full day school I went back to work and school trying to always be on her schedule. Anyway sorry for rambling, you ask about dealing with the heat. Honestly you get used to and it really does make a difference having it be a dry heat. I can work outside all day as long as I start in the AM and don't go in and out of air conditioned places and drink plenty of water. That is most peoples problem is that they get dehydrated. Hope this gives you some insight.

Re: I don't believe that Seattle has the highest suicide rate ... new
      #333915 - 08/03/08 08:20 PM
pcrider

Thanks for the web info. I was being kinda sarcastic, I just heard that somewhere. Kinda ironic though, my husband is the Director of HR for a mental health and crisis intervention facility. I was at his office one day and they have these quilts hanging around that survivors of suicide victims have made and it has their pictures. I was really overwhelmed as I read so many names, it really made my heart sad.

Re: Very interesting thread! new
      #333936 - 08/04/08 12:30 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I live in South East Michigan and while the summers and fall are very pretty here, nothing much else is! I have lived all over the state and the winters are cold, gray and depressing. The humidity can be pretty bad in the summer. If you are fortunate enough to afford a house on one of the many lakes it's pretty nice. My husbands parents live up north right on a river that connects two smaller lakes and its very peaceful and nice.

I, however, live in the suburbs of metro Detroit. My area is pretty nice but go south just a little bit and its NASTY and DANGEROUS. I guess it can be like that in a lot of big cities though.

The Mi economy is at an all time bad. All the factories are closing or laying off lots of people, its a big car industry here. A lot of foreclosures. A lot of people struggling.

I have often asked myself where I would like to live and I have never been able to answer it! I guess I have never been in a real position to consider a relocation so I have never researched it much.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Very interesting thread! new
      #334064 - 08/05/08 06:32 PM
Jordy

Oh come on, Michele! Dream! Just pretend....

--------------------

Bummer new
      #334082 - 08/06/08 06:17 AM
Jordy

No Trader Joes in the entire state!

--------------------

No, but... new
      #334108 - 08/06/08 09:51 AM
Lisa Marie

... we have several different natural grocery stores. Vitamin Cottage is a locally owned chain that is very similar to Trader Joe's (I shop there every week) and it's cheaper than Whole Foods, which we also have.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Well, thanks Lisa Marie! new
      #334113 - 08/06/08 10:20 AM
Jordy

I've heard this area is big into health and natural foods....glad there is a place cheaper than WF! I really think Colorado (or AZ) may be leading the way! (although I still think of Asheville or Nashville).

Littleton, Lakewood and Aurora are real close to University of Denver.

BTW, when I took my GREs (Sr year college), I had the results sent to U of D at Boulder! Guess Colorado was in my blood back then too!

--------------------

Wow, this surprised me new
      #334114 - 08/06/08 10:22 AM
Jordy

I thought Seattle was ranked high in suicides too....just like Alaska. I need my sun!

--------------------

PS new
      #334115 - 08/06/08 10:36 AM
Jordy

Quote:

I am trying to finish my BA in early childhood. I have given continuing education a whole new meaning. I took the last 18 years off to raise my family and when my youngest started full day school I went back to work

Good for you! Which school do you go to?

My mom has been in early chilhood for years as an aid. I also have an interest in this, but don't know that I have the patience.

No Trader Joes near Tucson....what's up with that!

Where did you live before AZ and why did you choose to move to AZ?

I was talking with someone today who has visited Phoenix area, and he just didn't offer any positive points about. Just kept saying "it's different". No idea what he was thinking....but enough to get my brain worried.

--------------------

Re: Well, if you say DREAM.... new
      #334117 - 08/06/08 12:22 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I would say on a private beach somewhere tropical, say Jamaica, complete with servants and my own massage therapist!

Realistically, is there a place that the weather never gets below 30 and never above 80? with low humidity? If, so, that's where I am moving!!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Well, if you say DREAM.... new
      #334118 - 08/06/08 12:31 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

Realistically, is there a place that the weather never gets below 30 and never above 80? with low humidity? If, so, that's where I am moving!!!!

San Diego comes darn close. When I lived there (about 15 years ago) I LOVED it! Most of the houses didn't even have AC because you didn't need it (seriously, I use it now in Maine way more than I would've in SD if I had had it). And I don't remember ever needing the heat, either. Other than the one month a year of constant rain (which is the extent of their winter), it was perfection!

Unfortunately, now it's just way too expensive. If I could, I'd move back in a heartbeat!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Is San Diego.... new
      #334158 - 08/07/08 06:51 AM
Jordy

very expensive? How do people make it there?

Are there any cheap apartments or areas?

--------------------

Re: Is San Diego.... new
      #334192 - 08/07/08 12:52 PM
fancymom

Yeah! I would LOVE to move to San Diego! Are there any reasonably priced houses there? I bet the cost of living is really high, isn't it?

--------------------
FancyMom

#334202 - 08/07/08 04:58 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

It's my understanding that all of SoCal is ridiculous now as far as housing, etc., is concerned. The further you are from the city, though, the better. I lived in northern San Diego county, which wasn't as bad as the city. But it was still twice as much as what I was used to paying on the East Coast! Fifteen years ago my rent was about $1k a month, I'd hate to think what it would be now!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Keep me posted, Jordy! new
      #334266 - 08/09/08 06:56 AM
Lisa Marie

I just love the vibe here,and I'm SO much happier here than in the midwest. Living here has changed my outlook on life and health a LOT. I couldn't eat and live the way I do if I still lived in Illinois.

How are you doing these days?? We used to chat so often...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#334271 - 08/09/08 07:34 AM
fancymom

Wow!! $1k per month fifteen years ago?? Good grief, it's probably $3k per month now!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Fancymom - new
      #334273 - 08/09/08 08:00 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Glad to see you are alive and well...missed seeing you on the message boards and was about to send an APB or BOLO out for you.... Miss your smiling face, when we don't hear from you. Hope you are doing well. {{Hugs}} Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Fancymom - new
      #334274 - 08/09/08 08:05 AM
fancymom

Hey GaGa!! Thanks for worrying about me! Makes me feel loved
I just started my new job last week, so things have been CRAZY around here!! I am gonna try to pop in as often as I can, but probably won't be as often as I used to

But...I will be here nonetheless!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Keep me posted, Jordy! new
      #334360 - 08/10/08 03:30 PM
Jordy

Quote:

I just love the vibe here

What is it like? How is it different? I worry I won't fit in.

I'm the same, thanks for asking. Still struggling and not getting any better despite trying anything I can think of.

I miss our chats too. I have no clue what you are doing or what you are doing! I thought you were mad at me. So glad you aren't! You don't seem to post much on the Eating board anymore.

How has CO changed you?

Maybe we could email?

--------------------

Re: SC new
      #334361 - 08/10/08 03:32 PM
Jordy

Are there any colleges nearby? Did you get your nursing degree in Charleston?

--------------------

#334442 - 08/11/08 04:31 PM
Lisa Marie

I love the health-conscious vibe here. Everyone loves the outdoors, hiking, biking, visiting the many parks. People tend to eat healthier, and there's quite a few organic-type grocery stores. I used to be a midwestern-meat-and-potatoes type, and now I'm basically vegan and exercise daily, so that should explain how CO has "changed" me!

I could never be mad at you! I just haven't had much reason to post on the Eating board for so long since I've been stable. I try to post advice to others once in awhile, but it gets hard to keep all the newbies straight! Ha! I'm sorry you're still struggling, I had hoped you'd be feeling better by now.

I posted my email address earlier in this thread; feel free to email me anytime!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#334568 - 08/13/08 12:42 PM
Jordy

oh, duh, it's right in your profile. I promise not to question you to death.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding very many grad degrees I'm interested in at U of C at Denver And U of Denver is so expensive.

I may end up somewhere else just because of this!

--------------------

fancymom new
      #334569 - 08/13/08 12:45 PM
Jordy

You there?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31106

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review