All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: I would NOT recommend moving to the midwest.... new
      #333885 - 08/03/08 02:11 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Hey, Kim

Why did you move from CO to FL? That's a big switch in climate! Especially since you liked CO?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Where to move? new
      #333886 - 08/03/08 02:20 PM
Jordy

Oh, I'm so confused. AZ was once my number one choice....Tucson area. Never thought of the Pheonix area but I think one of my former college friends lives in Chandler or Gilbert. She liked CA better....but CA is so expensive. I wish I could afford San Diego!!!

Quote:

I just spent the past 6 months up in the northwest and it was aweful! Even though that's where I grew up, and it is beautiful the dark, gloomy, rainy, wet and cold where terrible. No wonder Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the nation, ther's alot to be said for light therapy

Okay, this place is definitely out. I think I have SADS! not good! Thanks for the info!!!

What city do you live in? I've heard that Phoenix is having lots of problems with crime. How do you deal with the hot, hot summers?

Geez, I had an apartment picked out in Tucson and everything. That's when I was only considering AZ or NM.....for the sunshine! Sunshine can make or break my day.

Please share anything you care to share about the area! I could email you? Do you rent or own? Did you have a job before you moved? And how long have you lived there now?

Thank you so much!

--------------------

#333887 - 08/03/08 02:26 PM
Jordy

Oh my, this was one of my options too! The humidity concerns me too. You seriously thinking of moving out west? Water and mountains? You got it all!

--------------------

#333888 - 08/03/08 02:35 PM
Jordy

I was sort of wondering if the snow was "that bad"! They always show these real graphic pictures on our local weather part of the evening news.

Wow, those home prices do sound high!

Why did you move to CO and when? Where you alone or already married? I'm sort of scared to go someplace all by myself.

I have to decide if I want any type of winter at all (I hate digging my car out)!, I guess! It's hard to believe that your winters are that much better than here. YAY for that!

I'm glad you are so happy there, Lisa Marie!!!! Thanks for any information!! I could email you if that's possible. If not, I understand!

Are these cities close to the colleges in Denver?

--------------------

Re: What do you do? new
      #333898 - 08/03/08 06:02 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

In Sweetwater County, Wyoming, SWEDA (Sweetwater Economic Development Association) has announced that there are 600 jobs in the county that need filled. You can visit them at sweda.net.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#333909 - 08/03/08 06:38 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I know it's hard to believe, but the winters really are milder than the midwest. Like I said, there can be exceptions to that, but generally when it snows, the snow is gone within a day. The big difference out here is that because we don't get much precipitation during the year (it IS a desert), they don't salt the roads during the winter, which can make things interesting! They use sand or magnesium chloride instead.

My husband (then boyfriend) and I moved here from Illinois right after undergrad to attend graduate school at the University of Colorado at Boulder. We weren't ready to get jobs yet. Since I knew I had a better chance of finding an aerospace job if I lived in an area big on that industry, and we LOVE the mountains and weather, CO seemed like the logical choice. We got married a few years after we moved out here.

I guess you have to define "close"... There are quite a few universities out here, state universities in Boulder, Denver, and Fort Collins, smaller colleges elsewhere... I think if you were attending college, you'd want to live close to or in the particular city, or make sure you're on a bus route, which is what we did in grad school.

Yes, I would have been very scared to move out here alone But I know several people who have done it in recent years. Denver's a great place to be single, by the way!!!

I'm SO happy here! In fact, my parents hope to move out here within 3 years, which I'm very excited about!!! Knowing their grandchild is on the way is good motivation for them, I think!

Email me anytime! lisa_m_turner@illinoisalumni.org

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

I don't believe that Seattle has the highest suicide rate ... new
      #333911 - 08/03/08 07:00 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

... the lastest data as of 17 Jan 2008 can be found here: http://www.suicidology.org/associations/1045/files/2005datapgs.pdf

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#333913 - 08/03/08 08:12 PM
pcrider

Reged: 07/06/08
Loc: AZ

I live in the east valley which pretty much consists of Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek, Apache Junction, Then you start getting south toward Tucson there's Oro Valley, Gold Canyon(which I think is technically east valley), but you have a pretty large range. I've lived here for 20 years and nothing beats our sunsets and we get some really awesome lightning shows during "monsoon season" That's the only time we get some humidity, but like I said its only a few weeks then you get 9 months of bliss! When my husband and I moved here neither of us had a job, but within a few weeks we were both working. My husband is in HR work and I work with special needs children mostly Pre-K thru K. I am trying to finish my BA in early childhood. I have given continuing education a whole new meaning. I took the last 18 years off to raise my family and when my youngest started full day school I went back to work and school trying to always be on her schedule. Anyway sorry for rambling, you ask about dealing with the heat. Honestly you get used to and it really does make a difference having it be a dry heat. I can work outside all day as long as I start in the AM and don't go in and out of air conditioned places and drink plenty of water. That is most peoples problem is that they get dehydrated. Hope this gives you some insight.

Re: I don't believe that Seattle has the highest suicide rate ... new
      #333915 - 08/03/08 08:20 PM
pcrider

Reged: 07/06/08
Loc: AZ

Thanks for the web info. I was being kinda sarcastic, I just heard that somewhere. Kinda ironic though, my husband is the Director of HR for a mental health and crisis intervention facility. I was at his office one day and they have these quilts hanging around that survivors of suicide victims have made and it has their pictures. I was really overwhelmed as I read so many names, it really made my heart sad.

Re: Very interesting thread! new
      #333936 - 08/04/08 12:30 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I live in South East Michigan and while the summers and fall are very pretty here, nothing much else is! I have lived all over the state and the winters are cold, gray and depressing. The humidity can be pretty bad in the summer. If you are fortunate enough to afford a house on one of the many lakes it's pretty nice. My husbands parents live up north right on a river that connects two smaller lakes and its very peaceful and nice.

I, however, live in the suburbs of metro Detroit. My area is pretty nice but go south just a little bit and its NASTY and DANGEROUS. I guess it can be like that in a lot of big cities though.

The Mi economy is at an all time bad. All the factories are closing or laying off lots of people, its a big car industry here. A lot of foreclosures. A lot of people struggling.

I have often asked myself where I would like to live and I have never been able to answer it! I guess I have never been in a real position to consider a relocation so I have never researched it much.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review