All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Keep them coming guys/girls!!!!-nt new
      #333544 - 07/29/08 02:31 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Jordy,

Where do you live right now? Anyway, if I were moving here are a couple of places I would check out...

Asheville, NC and Boise, ID. Both are really two of the up and coming cities. Don't know about cost of living in Boise, but Asheville is suppose to be very reasonable. Another place where cost of living is reasonable is Indianapolis. My best friend used to live there and loved it.

Sharon

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Asheville.... new
      #333603 - 07/30/08 10:28 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

is in the running. I think I would like Asheville, Chapel Hill, Wilmington, knoxville, nashville, SC, NM, Missouri, Coloroda.....

Indianapolis is very affordable...but don't know if I could live in INdiana.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

I would NOT recommend moving to the midwest.... new
      #333621 - 07/30/08 02:20 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I grew up there, and the weather sucks!! One cycle of seasons, and you'll be begging to leave!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

What do you do? new
      #333625 - 07/30/08 04:40 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Where you decide to move really depends on what you do for a living, and the need of that skill and talent in that local market.

What do you do?

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I would NOT recommend moving to the midwest.... new
      #333807 - 08/01/08 01:28 PM
Jordy

I already live in the midwest. I don't I want to live here the rest of my life.

I heard that the Denver area gets lots and lots and lots of snow? How are the winters? Have you ever heard of Little or Auroura?

Do you work? What's the job market like? I sent for a relocation pack which hopefully, will answer many questions.

Thanks, Lisa Marie

--------------------

Re: What do you do? new
      #333808 - 08/01/08 01:29 PM
Jordy

I really don't have a skill or training to be anything specific. My BA is in a liberal arts area....so I would be willing to do anything as long as I could pay the bills!

--------------------

#333813 - 08/01/08 02:58 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I lived in Aurora, CO for 4 years...loved it. Littleton and Aurora are suburbs just south of Denver. The climate there is great, sunny probably 300 days of the year, even when it's snowing The summers are hot, but not steamy, rather dry. And, the saying goes...if you don't like the weather when you wake up, give it a few hours, cause it'll probably change. The mountains are beautiful. I didn't find it any more or less expensive than any of the other big cities I've lived in (Toronto, Tampa). When we lived there, (late 90's)we lived on just my husband's salary (mid-30's). I'm sure it's probably cheaper to live outside the "city". It's not about how much money you make, it's what you do with it!

Re: Where to move? new
      #333864 - 08/02/08 06:16 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I live in Charlotte, NC. It's nice, but humid. The cost of living is a bit high, but there are surrounding smaller towns that don't cost as much. We do have a lot of very good medical facilities & doctors. Geographically, it's the perfect location because you're 4 hours away from the mountains & 4 hours away from the coast. But again, the humidity is really hard to cope with. I actually have been thinking about moving out west, to a desert area, to escape the humidity!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Re: Where to move? new
      #333867 - 08/03/08 05:39 AM
pcrider

Reged: 07/06/08
Loc: AZ

How about AZ? I live in the east valley of the Phoenix area and love it. Yes our summer temps can get extreme, but it's only a few weeks out of the entire year. The rest of the time it is beautiful! I am a sunshine person, I love waking up everyday to early sunlight and when I come home from work I still have several hours of daylight. I just spent the past 6 months up in the northwest and it was aweful! Even though that's where I grew up, and it is beautiful the dark, gloomy, rainy, wet and cold where terrible. No wonder Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the nation, ther's alot to be said for light therapy! As for cost of living and job availability, we are pretty much average. There are places where houses are inexpensive, but you have to make some trade offs. And depending on what you do, I would hire a headhunter before I moved. Just to let you know San Diego is only 6 hours away and the mountains are even closer. I love the desert it has its own unique beauty, I like riding my horses in the desert and other places and you'd be amazed at the beauty you can miss until you slow your pace. Best of luck wherever you decide!

#333880 - 08/03/08 01:39 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Don't believe it - we really don't get a whole lot of snow in Denver. The mountains do, yes, but not really the lower elevations. Sure, there are always exceptions, but for the most part, the winters are very temperate. We don't get that bitter cold that the midwest gets from Canada. And unlike the midwest, the sun shines in the winter! The winters here are AWESOME compared to the midwest. Even if it's a blizzard in the morning, by mid-afternoon the sun is shining, the snow is mostly gone, and you'd never know it snowed 6 hours earlier.

I'm not sure about the job market. I can't imagine it's that much different than anywhere else. I'm an aerospace engineer, so my industry is a pretty big one out here. Family home prices average $250,000 to $300,000, which can be hard for midwesterners to grasp. But it's definitely cheaper to live in the suburbs. I live in Lakewood, which is the next city north of Littleton.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review