All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Constipation
      #333030 - 07/22/08 04:54 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

For those of you who are IBS-C or IBS-A...what is the most effective treatment for the "C"? I seem to be IBS-D only when anxious or upset or the dreaded antibiotics! Whereas, I used to be totally "D", now I seem to revert back to "C",sometimes only going ever 2 days, then that causes the "hems" to flare up w/ some bleeding. My tummy feels better when I eat primarily SF, but I think it may be causing the "C". Color me "clueless" at this point. I probably am the only person in the world who prays for a BM and then thanks God when I have an easy one! In the past when I've tried even stool softeners, they cause crazy cramping even in the middle of the night, so I'm terrified of them and laxatives. My dr. suggested Miralax, but I've heard of cramping with it too. I'm trying to add more fiber, but that seems to make it worse - and, I drink probably 90 or more oz. of water a day, plus (pat on the back) I've started walking again and try to eat some kind of fruit like a plum first thing in am....... Advice, please and thank you!
Just a thought, did you ever think you would be like your parents or grandparents living to talk about your bowel habits???? Gross! But, that's why you guys are so wonderful!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (07/22/08 04:58 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Constipation new
      #333100 - 07/23/08 11:35 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Dorothy:

Here is something my physical therapist recommends and it works for me 99% of the time. BEFORE you even get out of bed in the morning do an abdominal massage. I do with kness bent. I will try to explain: Take your index and middle finger of both hands and using both hands side by side start massaging in a small CLOCKWISE circular motion from lower right abdomen (start way, way low). Massage up and across (above belly button), then down lower left abdomen (go way down). You could also do a goggle search for "abdominal massage for constipation". Press a little hard (not real hard) and make sure you do a clockwise. When finished with this get up and drink 2 glasses of warm water. Instead of warm water, what really helps me is taking a hot cup of water, adding 1-2 Tablespoons of Blackstrap molasses and a little rice milk. (this is my fake coffee). Has to be BLACKSTRAP molasses which is known for constipation relief and is packed with minerals and vitamins. I have also heard that some people drink this little concoction before they go to bed at night. Good luck.
Sharon

#333106 - 07/23/08 01:09 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

It seems counterintuitive, but I seem to do best when I am not on a high fiber diet, or I should say a diet high in SF. If I eat a ratio of 75% SF coupled CAREFULLY w/specific IF I get the most consistent BM's. (Consistent meaning time of day, no mucous, not painful prior to the BM, not painful actually having the BM, and actual stool consistency)

The other key for me is to remember the mind/body connection. Eating small, frequent meals, not letting my self get too hungry, eating slowly and in a relaxed environment. HTH!

#333125 - 07/23/08 03:37 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Daily exercise and Natural Calm do the trick for me!! Do a board search on Natural Calm (a magnesium supplement, NOT a laxative) and you'll get lots of hits. I'm stable, but I still take my NC every night and have a reliable BM every morning. Love it!

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#333133 - 07/23/08 06:28 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

I tried it, but had a really hard time with the taste...YUCKY!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#333138 - 07/23/08 10:20 PM
GaGa

Thank you all so very much. I know it's stupid, but if I don't go every day, I freak out, then I strain, then the cycle starts of the hems + bleeding. I'll try everyone's suggestions! Thanks a million! Blessings!!!!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#333148 - 07/24/08 04:11 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I would give miralax a try. I've been taking it every day (2 doses) for the past almost 2 years. It doesn't cause any kind of cramping or tummy upset like other laxatives do. I was prescribed miralax after I had surgery for rectal prolapse. Thankfully I still get it as a prescription...much cheaper than OTC. It wasn't available OTC when I started using it. Lots of warm water or tea, some exercise (whatever you can handle...walking, swimming, biking), and a good amount of IF (whatever you can handle) work well for me. I also take 2 doses of citrucel every day (have been taking that for almost 5 years).

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

What type of citrucel do you use?-nt new
      #333163 - 07/24/08 09:14 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#333177 - 07/24/08 02:51 PM
GaGa

Mary -
Thank you so much for your response. I'll try it this weekend while I'm home. Blessings! - Dorothy

--------------------

#333179 - 07/24/08 03:26 PM
fancymom

Wow. I'm surprised you can take citrucel AND mirilax. It doesn't give you diarrhea?? I tried citrucel once, and I cramped so bad I thought I was gonna pass out!! Sweating, shaking and PRAYING a lot!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#333190 - 07/24/08 08:58 PM

Unregistered

GaGa,
Hi
how are you feeling by now
I hoope you ae doing better
I sometimes think it is better to have IBS d than IBS C
I guess neither one is fun, but not to be able to go to the bahroom is so miserable. I know today and yesterday I have hd constipation,and i hate it
tomorrow i shuld be oka. sometimes I skep a day or two and then I am so bloated, and feel so miserale
Just curious to se how you ae doing, and if you fond anything to help you
take care
Huhs, DeeDee

#333193 - 07/24/08 09:38 PM
GaGa

DeeDee -
Thank you for being so kind to think of me. I know, sometimes I look back and the episodes of "D" have been bad - added w/ stress, going to BR about 20 x a day... BUT, the "C" 1)makes you uncomfortable, of course, 2)makes me worry, 3)usually causes hems. to enlarge and pain, then, when I finally go, bleeding. I know it's just the hems, but my mind gets into "stinkin' thinkin" - as my former therapist calls it! :-) But, I've been back at school some and the job I do in Guidance is very stressful - lots of deadlines + a lot of family stress the past 2 weeks, so I think that just complicated everything. I also read a post where one girl gets "C" from pasta, which I tend to do, but not from potatoes, which I'll try more... Sorry to be so long-winded. But, thank you for your kind heart....

--------------------

Re: What type of citrucel do you use?-nt new
      #333196 - 07/25/08 04:39 AM
Mary_V

I use the orange powder. That was the very first thing I ever tried 5 years ago when I first went to the Dr. with my tummy issues (not when they started, just when I finally got checked out). For me it really calms things. It's like an instant coating over my intestines...like eating SF. Right now I mix my miralax in water until it dissolves. Then I add the citrucel and give it a quick stir and drink it. Miralax tastes gross (to me anyway), but when I take them together I just taste the orange. I NEVER worry about D. I think I'd welcome it I do have to give a little warning that my body is a bit different. I don't know that I have IBS anymore (or ever really did). I thought I did for several years (suffered from what I thought was C, had major spasms, trapped gas, etc.) until I finally figured out (ON MY OWN!) that I had rectal prolapse. I had surgery for it in Sept. '06. They removed part of my colon and reattached my rectum (pleasant, huh?). Now I "go" many times every day. Just small amounts each time. They removed the stretchy part of my colon so I don't have a big storage area. I don't follow the IBS diet (I used to but it never helped...now I know why...I had a different problem). I still lean towards C...and I have major anxiety that complicates it. So I eat a very high IF diet. I just try to eat healthy (lots of grains, fruits, and veggies), and I can't overdo on starchy foods (pasta, potatoes, etc.). Anyway, I don't claim to have the answers to eliminate C. I just know that citrucel and miralax work great for me, combined with lots of fiber, tons of water, and daily exercise. Also seeing a psychologist for 2 years to help with my anxiety has made a big difference. Even though I do eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies I still find that soft foods with lots of fiber are the best. Unsweetened applesauce and low fat graham crackers are my go to foods when I really need to settle things. I need a balance between not too sticky (pasta, pretzels, etc.) and not too rough (raw carrots, etc.). And that seems to keep things going. Just some ideas/what works for me. But keep in mind I don't follow the IBS diet/don't think I have IBS, at least not a major case.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#333210 - 07/25/08 10:17 AM
fancymom

Hey GaGa!!
Hope your day is going well!

I noticed you said you get C with pasta. You know they make pastas with potato and soy flour. I've used it. It's really good. I can't tell the difference. Thought you may want to know that in case your having a pasta craving, but not a C craving Check out your local HFS.

--------------------
FancyMom

Not the sugar free, right? new
      #333272 - 07/26/08 01:47 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I was worried the regular orange had too much sugar and cals in it, but perhaps I will try it. Thanks.

I never thought to mix the miralax with it. I stopped Miralax because it was causing really long, constant, incomplete BMS. Not a good effect....more of a mess.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Not the sugar free, right? new
      #333293 - 07/27/08 03:18 AM
Mary_V

Right, not the sugar free. Artificial sweeteners are a no-no for IBS. It seems that some people feel better when they cut out sugar, but it isn't necessarily an IBS trigger. So no problem taking the regular stuff.

--------------------
~Mary

#335098 - 08/21/08 11:13 AM
mac33

Reged: 08/19/08
Loc: Idaho

What is the longest you have ever gone w/o a BM? I freaking out cause its been 5 days for me. I just had a severe D episode (last Thurs Fri Sat) and after those it takes awhile for me to go, but I'm doing Citrucel religously and drinking plenty of water. I can just feel myself rotting from the inside out. Help!

--------------------
IBS-A

#335099 - 08/21/08 11:20 AM
Mary_V

Do you exercise? That really helps me. Exercise and a TON of water. And you can always try a stool softener if need be. Not a stimulant, just a softener (like colace).

--------------------
~Mary

#335100 - 08/21/08 11:31 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

try milk of magnesia it always helps me.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

MoM is okay once in awhile, but... new
      #335107 - 08/21/08 01:28 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

It's an actual laxative, so you really shouldn't use it regularly. Be careful with this stuff, your body can easily become addicted to it!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 807 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7038

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review