All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Another bug bite.....
      #332981 - 07/22/08 09:53 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Well....I've got ANOTHER bug bite! It's on my ankle this time. I think it's from when I stepped into one of our flower beds the other day to adjust a soaker hose. it itches like crazy. Nothing I have tried stops this itch. I hate to go to the doc. It cost me $100 for the last bug bite a couple weeks ago. And all they told me to do was take Alieve and Zyrtec. The Zyrtec makes me soooo sleepy. Does anyone know of any good anti-itch stuff for bug bites?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another bug bite..... new
      #332986 - 07/22/08 10:14 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I take benedryl and it helps.You can also get a tube of benedryl to apply directly to the itch.We all seem to be covered in bites right now too.My one son gets them so bad he swells up .Benedryl is the only thing that seems to work.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332987 - 07/22/08 10:14 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I use Cortizone cream. I get really bad reactions to bug bites as well- swelling and major itching. When even Coritzone isn't working I mix water and baking soda and coat the entire bite with that. That usually helps at least temporarily. I've tried Benadryl as well but that also makes you sleepy. Good luck, I hate itching!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#332993 - 07/22/08 10:29 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Wow, Nugget. You poor girl! Sounds like you may be allergic to whatever is biting you!!

Try cortizone cream. See if that helps. Read labels, some of them are stronger than others. Get the strongest one you can find!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332994 - 07/22/08 10:33 AM
Nugget

Thanks Kteach....I forgot about the baking soda trick. My mom used to do that when my brother and I were kids. I had a bug bite in this same exact area a few weeks ago...now another one!

#332995 - 07/22/08 10:34 AM
Nugget

I may have to try the benedryl cream....I don't want to take the pills because I don't want to be sleepy. I've had enough of the sleepies with the Zyrtec.

#332996 - 07/22/08 10:41 AM
Nugget

Probably an allergy to bugs in general! Ha! I hate "creepy crawlies"! I wish I knew what is biting me. The one I had behind my ear that I went to the doc for a couple weeks ago is still there, but not nearly as big. It never itched, though. It just hurt bad. I'll have to see what I can find at the store on my lunch hour here pretty soon.

#333013 - 07/22/08 12:31 PM
dragonfly

Could it be black flies?

--------------------

#333015 - 07/22/08 01:19 PM
Nugget

I don't know. This one is on my ankle and it started out as two smaller bites. I had jeans and socks on so I think a spider may have crawled up far enough to bite me on my ankle when I was standing in the overgrown flower bed adjusting the soaker hose. It gives me the willies to think about something crawling up my pants leg and biting me!

I went to Walmart on my lunch and got some Maximum Strength Lanacane that is suppose to numb and stop the itch on contact. I put some on and it's barely doing anything! They were out of Benedryl. Guess I'll have to try something else after work! The Lanacane said it would last for hours and only to apply 1-3 times a day! Right after I applied it, the itching moved to my foot and when I'd scratch my foot it was like there wasn't an itch there. Ya know what I mean. It's only been about 20 minutes since I applied the cream and the bite is itching just as bad as before I applied the cream!!

#333028 - 07/22/08 04:42 PM
dragonfly

I bought lanacane too.I was told it was good for sunburn and itch and vag itch too.WRONG!!!I put it on the kids sunburn and they freaked it burned.I thought they were being babies lol but had to wipe it off them and then soothe them with wet clothes.Then I was having itching problems myself and tried it.AHHHH!!! burn I had to jump back in the shower to wash it off!.
It doesn't work!

Vinegar is supposed to work to take tghe itch away too.Try apple cider vinegar or even a used tea bag.Aloe plant and tea tree oil.Apply directly to the bite.Tea tree oil also acts as a repellent
It probably won't help with the swelling but these should help with the itching
Good luck!I know scratching is contagious and once you start you just can't STOP!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 602 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15164

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review