All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Bug Bite Home Remedy...I'm going to try tonight..... new
      #333175 - 07/24/08 02:27 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

a gal I work with just told me to try meat tenderizer. She said to make a paste out of meat tenderizer and water and apply it to the bite area and cover with gauze. Keep it on there for a few hours or over night and it breaks down the venom proteins into the size that our bodies can digest. So I'm going to give it a try tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bug Bite Home Remedy...I'm going to try tonight..... new
      #333189 - 07/24/08 07:54 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

We use tiger balm which is extremely strong menthol stuff, it doesn't do anything for your reaction just makes it so you can't feel the itch. Also ice helps and witch hazel too, can reduce the swelling and help the itch. I can't take zyrtec for the same reason as you - I take claritin, the generic actually - its OTC and it helps my allergies without knocking me out. You might try that. Good luck...

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: Bug Bite Home Remedy...I'm going to try tonight..... new
      #333201 - 07/25/08 08:22 AM
Nugget

Thanks Hawkeye, for the suggestions. I've switched to Claratin. The Zyrtec just wiped me out. I tried the meat tenderizer suggestion last night. I slept with it on and wrapped my ankle in gauze. I think it may have helped somewhat with the itch...although I can't see much positive change in the bite. It's still spreading slightly. I'm going to do it again tonight and see if it helps more. My dogs sure loved the smell of my ankle with that meat tenderizer on it. Ha!

The antibiotics I am on is giving me lots of "wind". Thankfully it is agreeing with my IBS-D. I think the probiotics I have been taking has helped tremendously.

Re: Bug Bite Home Remedy...Orange peel or Prep-H new
      #333205 - 07/25/08 09:19 AM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

Around the office I've heard various home remedies when I had dermatitis on my chest. Itched like crazy. Bug bites and bee stings : rubbing orange peel on it or hold a penny on it for a while. I used Calamine Lotion, the clear kind, not pink. That worked wonders. If you have Preperation-H, try that too. I use sometimes for little itches here and there.
HTH
Good luck with it..

Re: Bug Bite Home Remedy...Orange peel or Prep-H new
      #333206 - 07/25/08 09:21 AM
Nugget

I've heard that, too about the Prep-H.

I have one to!! new
      #333233 - 07/25/08 03:25 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I got bit the other night when i was ouside watering my garden it itch like crazy then it got little blister on it. That went away and now its really red and kinda spreading and it kinda burns any ideas what this could be? thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: I have one to!! new
      #333237 - 07/25/08 05:25 PM
Nugget

Wow! Sorry to hear that Emmasmom. Mine is the size of a silver dollar now and still itches like crazy. I'm on antibiotics for it for the next week. Mine hasn't blistered or opened up yet, but it's still growing and real red. If yours feels hotter than the rest of the surrounding area, you need to go to the doctor...it may be getting infected. That's what the doctor told me was happening to mine. Also take Alieve for the pain and swelling and an over the counter allergy med for your body's reaction to it. I'm trying the meat tenderizer paste suggestion again tonight to try and take the itch away, but I'm not sure I would suggest that for you since yours blistered. You should probably see a doctor. {{{hugs}}} Darn bugs!! Is your bite on your leg? Where?

#333240 - 07/25/08 07:49 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Ya its on my leg were you bend your knee. it don't burn or itch all the time just some of the time. The blister has pop it was very little. I went and got some cream. I hope it works. It just looks wierd! Nastey bugs!!! Hope your home remedy works. I haste when things itch drives ya crazy! Have a good weekend! take care! (((Hugs)))
emmasmom (sheila)
ibs-c gas

#333244 - 07/25/08 08:19 PM
Nugget

You have a great weekend, too, Sheila. Hope all goes well with you bite. I tried a lot of creams and nothing stopped the itch. I hope it stops growing soon Guess I will see how things are after being on the antibiotics over the weekend before I contact the doc again. The meat tenderizer paste does knock the itch down for longer than the over the counter creams. Take care of yourself. Stay in touch over the weekend. Let me know how you and your bite are doing. Ok?

I can't believe it! I have ANOTHER bug bite....this time I know what bit me! new
      #333903 - 08/03/08 06:12 PM
Nugget

Yup! That's right! I have another bug bite! Third bad one this summer.....actually it's the third bad one in a month!

I was on my mother-in-law's deck yesterday evening after we got back to town from the all day event we went to about an hour out of town. I felt something stinging my leg...the inside of my thigh just above my knee....I couldn't feel a bug through my pants, but it kept stinging me...so I went into the bathroom, took my leg out of my pants...shook the pant leg and out came this little flying ant!! I picked it up off the floor with a kleenex so I could take it outside to show my husband and mother-in-law that something actually was biting me...ya know.

Today I have 4 bright red spots on my leg and the biggest one itches like crazy!!!

I am soooo sick of bugs right now!!! I can't wait for colder weather to kill them all!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 782 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15280

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review