All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
D minus 10 and counting (delicate digestive question)
      #332720 - 07/17/08 06:43 PM
ateitall

Reged: 07/17/08

I've been meaning to ask this question for quite a while, but have never known quite how to phrase it. :) I know that when we eat food, it can take 1, 2 or more days for it go through its entire exciting ride. When I have (usually mild) D, I've always wondered .. is that caused by something I ate recently, or, something I ate maybe a day or two ago and it's just kind of been .. waiting it's place in line?

So often I blame my D on what I've JUST eaten, but I wonder if that's correct?

Understanding the process better would help me to understand what my trigger foods are. Sometimes it seems like the only thing that makes sense is if I can (forgive me) match my loose stools up to the food that I ate 1 or 2 days ago. Does that make sense?

Any help understanding this is appreciated. Bonus points for explaining the same kind of thing regarding gas. It almost seems impossible sometimes that what I just ate an hour ago is already causing gas way at the other end of the disassembly line.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: D minus 10 and counting (delicate digestive question) new
      #332723 - 07/17/08 08:30 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

mmmhmm....Yes me too.

I keep a diary most times that way when I have an attack I can look back and say oh I ate that again.I have a pretty good idea what my triggers are going to be and I know if they don't hit today..tomorrow I'm in trouble so I ward that off my taking Imodium before bed or eat really safe for the rest of the day and next.
It's anybodies guess as to why it happens like that and some day I am certain someone will have the answer!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332734 - 07/18/08 06:08 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Dragonfly is right. Keeping a diary will really help you with these questions.

From my own personal experience - usually when I have D, it's from the last thing I ate. Same with gas. Now, constipation is a different story. That's usually a combination of whatever I've eaten over the past few days...usually sugar. That makes me more gassy and C than anything else!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332751 - 07/18/08 11:21 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

I actually looked this up once. It takes 24-72 hours from the time you put food in your mouth until it comes out the other end. Some foods take longer than others. Fruit takes the least amount of time, and red meat takes the longest. Sugars digest most quickly, vegetables and simple carbs a little longer, complex carbs more slowly, and fats and proteins the longest.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1174

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review