All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Hormones
      #332674 - 07/17/08 12:56 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I've seen a few on this board mention that BCP seemed to help their symptoms. Back when I was on the pill it seemed to make me feel worse, but that was 15-20 years ago.

Now with this most recent flareup (5 months and counting of almost constant abdominal cramping and nausea) I'm wondering if my problems may be hormonal. I'm 43 and over the last year my periods have become extremely light but last a few days longer, and I'm not as regular. But could it really mess up my gut this bad?

I have my annual scheduled for next month, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long to bring this up with my doc if there is any way I could get some relief now. But I'm also loathe to go on hormones. Any advice?

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hormones new
      #332678 - 07/17/08 01:01 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Wow. Thant's tricky. Have you tried a good multivitamin and giving up sugar? A lot of times, excess sugar can deplete our bodies of essental vitamins and minerals, which can throw your hormones WAY out of whack.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332701 - 07/17/08 03:41 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm a true believer that hormones can really mess with your gut. Being on BCP really helped me, but what especially helped was NOT having a period. I just always felt SO much better when I was on BCP. Going off them when we started TTC was difficult!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#332702 - 07/17/08 03:46 PM
vettech

I've heard a lot of people say that (feeling better taking the pills constantly). Back when I was taking them, the only week I felt OK was during the week off. I was the only woman I knew who looked forward to her period - it meant no headaches and nausea.

Again, though, that was a long time ago. I'm probably not making as much of my own hormones anymore, plus the formulas are different, so who knows?

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

#332703 - 07/17/08 03:49 PM
vettech

Multis upset my stomach (even with food). I have given up sugar in the past with mixed results, but now that I'm on Heather's diet, I feel as though I've already given up so much already. Maybe once I'm able to add a few things back to my diet I might feel ready to give up something else.

I don't really eat a ton, anyway; I tend not to like things that are too sweet. I have to have honey in my herbal tea, though!

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

#332709 - 07/17/08 04:01 PM
fancymom

Don't blame you there! I really miss a LOT of stuff!!
I have given up: Coffee, sodas, dairy, fried foods, red meat, chocolate, and alcohol. This sucks!!

I miss my morning cup of Joe! I miss my ice cream! I miss my steaks! I miss my cokes! I miss my glass of wine! and I ESPECIALLY miss my CHOCOLATE!! WHY can't I be normal?!?!

Sorry - had to vent!!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332710 - 07/17/08 04:04 PM
fancymom

I'm surprised so many people say the felt GOOD on BCP! I felt HORRIBLE!! I was nauseated (because those synthetic hormones relax the sphyncter that holds your food down), fat and moody as hell! Much like I have been today

--------------------
FancyMom

#332718 - 07/17/08 05:54 PM
vettech

Believe me, I understand wanting to vent. I vented to a girlfriend this morning and ended up bursting into tears (very uncharacteristic for me). But then I felt better, so it's necessary.

I've given up all those things as well. I think I miss chocolate most of all. I can eat small amounts when I'm stable, but not now.

--------------------
Low FODMAP since 2012

Edited by vettech (07/17/08 05:56 PM)

#332724 - 07/17/08 08:35 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I went on bc for more than one reason but it helps my symptoms greatly most times.
If I've been stressed out my period ends up rough.
I also developed IBS 8 months or so after my second pregnacy and felt great when I got pregnant with number three.Again 8 months later IBS flared its ugly head.
I went on BC to get that being pregnant hormone back.It has helped but there are days when nothing helps.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332730 - 07/18/08 05:58 AM
fancymom

Yep. Would KILL for some chocolate!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332731 - 07/18/08 06:00 AM
fancymom

That's great that they help you! You must be on a good pill - I mean, one that agrees with your body. I'm glad you found a fix...wish they worked for me!! I would start taking them tomorrow!!! - Even though my husband had the big "V" OUCH!! But it works for me!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332741 - 07/18/08 10:00 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

In September of 2006, I had to have a complete hysterectomy. I felt great for the first three months after surgery...no anxiety...no IBS. Then the anxiety and IBS started coming back. My OB/GYN/Surgeon put me on an estrogen pill immediately after surgery. Then when I started having anxiety and IBS three months later, they tried me on an estrogen patch thinking it was the estrogen pill that was causing my IBS to flare up. But, the patch didn't do much for me either. So I tried the bio-identical hormones...estrogen, progesterone, and DHEA. Didn't feel any relief by using those, either. So I decided to completely go off any hormones and just try to eat right and take a vitamin, and exercise. Even though I had to go back on a low dose anti-anxiety/anti-depressant (Lexapro), and even though my IBS-D flares occassionally, I feel so much better OFF hormones than ON. Everyone is different, though. But this works for me. I was leary of taking estrogen anyway since my hysterectomy was partly due to severe endometriosis....it feeds on estrogen and cells that are left behind after a hysterectomy can still cause damage after surgery because of estrogen. And, I have to make sure I get enough calcium to prevent osteoperosis. But I still feel better OFF hormones than ON them. I just turned 40 in March. No children. Couldn't have had children anyway...husband had the big "V" years ago before we met. So we joke that he's shooting blanks and I don't have any targets! Ha!

Not really sure if this post helps you in any way....but thought I'd share my story about hormones. Thanks for listening. Best of luck to you.

#332742 - 07/18/08 10:02 AM
dragonfly

Nugget, You are so funny.

--------------------

#332743 - 07/18/08 10:13 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

have to have a sense of humor about this type of thing. Ya know? I could either be upset that I can't have kids or have a sense of humor about it because everything happens for a reason.

#332744 - 07/18/08 10:21 AM
Lisa Marie

I had a very good ob/gyn and clinical pharmacist that worked together to determine which hormone combination would work best for me, considering my history of migraines, acne, and an ovarian cyst. I've tried lots of pills over the years, but the one they came up with, Necon, I absolutely LOVED. I felt great all the time. And I never missed having a period, that's for sure!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

You know there's such thing as vegan chocolate, right??? new
      #332745 - 07/18/08 10:23 AM
Lisa Marie

Why are you all depriving yourselves of chocolate??? There's no need! Go bake a peppermint fudge cake, or some chocolate pudding brownies. Or buy some non-dairy chocolate chips and bake some cookies! There's TONS of chocolate things we can eat!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: You know there's such thing as vegan chocolate, right??? new
      #332752 - 07/18/08 11:21 AM
fancymom

I know...but I cannot tolerate chocolate right now. Not even cocoa powder. I have HORRIBLE GERD, and chocolate sends me over the edge. In any form - SO, eat some chocolate for me, would ya?!?!

Maybe in a few weeks or a month, when my GERD gets calmed back down, I can try eating it again...can't wait !!

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Vegan chocolate just SOUNDS wrong!!!!nt new
      #332755 - 07/18/08 12:20 PM
dragonfly

--------------------

#332757 - 07/18/08 12:32 PM
fancymom

But if it's all you can have, then it sounds pretty darn GOOD!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332764 - 07/18/08 02:47 PM
Lisa Marie

Have you ever tried it?? I honestly can't tell the difference. If you haven't yet made Heather's peppermint fudge cake, which happens to be vegan, you are missing out! My friends have come to demand that cake at parties now. I've also gotten some sinfully rich fudge and chocolate cake at a local vegan bakery, and it's better than any non-vegan stuff I've tried!

Open your mind!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: You know there's such thing as vegan chocolate, right??? new
      #332766 - 07/18/08 02:50 PM
Lisa Marie

Oh, that's awful! I didn't know chocolate was a GERD trigger. Although I can say that for some weird reason, pregnancy has turned me off to chocolate completely! Have you ever heard of such nonsense??!! Now that I'm past the first trimester, I can finally drink my daily cup of Lite Chocolate Silk soymilk again without gagging, but that's it! I sure hope that goes away....!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#332782 - 07/19/08 05:39 AM
fancymom

I tell ya - I make my chocolate peppermint cake with Carob powder instead of Cocoa powder. It is delicious!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332785 - 07/19/08 05:58 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Chocolate, coming from a plant, is inherently vegan. It's the crap that's added to cheap chocolate that makes it non-vegan. Most, if not all, good quality dark chocolate is vegan - no milk added.

I used to love Lindt 70% dark chocolate bars - they're soy free too! Unfortunately, my bladder screams at me when I eat chocolate, and I'd be up ALL night peeing. Just not worth it

--------------------
IBS-C

#332790 - 07/19/08 06:35 AM
dragonfly

Chocolate makes you pee?

I don't like dark choc at all.I prefer milk chocolate or the kind wrapped around a caramel.Cheap chocolate makes my teeth hurt.
I know chocolate comes from a plant but to call it Vegan(since i am far from that)just sounds healthy.
Chocolate shouldn't be heathy.It's supposed to be sinful.

--------------------

#332851 - 07/20/08 07:21 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Yeah - my bladder has like little ulcers in it, so anything acidic irritates it and I will pee constantly. And chocolate is very acidic.

If anyone is interested, there is a vegan "milk" chocolate made with rice milk. I've not tried it myself, but it sure looks good, especially if you don't like dark chocolate. It's called Ricemilk Choco, I think it's made by Terra Nostro or something like that.

--------------------
IBS-C

#332871 - 07/20/08 02:58 PM
fancymom

I saw that one at the Health Food store, Fen. Make sure you pay attention to the fat grams, though. The one I saw had like 14gms total, and about 6gms saturated. Too much for my belly to handle!!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332892 - 07/20/08 06:28 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I just bought vegan choc. chips. It said its totally non-dairy and the only ingredients are: evaporated cane juice, chocolate liquor and non-dairy cocoa butter. Is that stuff ok? Fancymom: I know you eat carob chips and I saw them today but they made me nervous cause it said something like it was made out of wheat. So I bought these instead. I see that people eat them. Just the chocolate liquor made me a bit nervous. Oh well... dont know unless you try right?!

Stef

#332928 - 07/21/08 12:10 PM
fancymom

Oooo...the cocoa butter might be a trigger also. You will just have to indulge, and see what happens...Oh...and keep your fingers crossed!! Hey - even if it doesn't agree with you, it will sure tast good goin' in!! Mmmmmmm...

Eat some for me!!

--------------------
FancyMom

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7026

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review