All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Hormones new
      #332731 - 07/18/08 06:00 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

That's great that they help you! You must be on a good pill - I mean, one that agrees with your body. I'm glad you found a fix...wish they worked for me!! I would start taking them tomorrow!!! - Even though my husband had the big "V" OUCH!! But it works for me!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#332741 - 07/18/08 10:00 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

In September of 2006, I had to have a complete hysterectomy. I felt great for the first three months after surgery...no anxiety...no IBS. Then the anxiety and IBS started coming back. My OB/GYN/Surgeon put me on an estrogen pill immediately after surgery. Then when I started having anxiety and IBS three months later, they tried me on an estrogen patch thinking it was the estrogen pill that was causing my IBS to flare up. But, the patch didn't do much for me either. So I tried the bio-identical hormones...estrogen, progesterone, and DHEA. Didn't feel any relief by using those, either. So I decided to completely go off any hormones and just try to eat right and take a vitamin, and exercise. Even though I had to go back on a low dose anti-anxiety/anti-depressant (Lexapro), and even though my IBS-D flares occassionally, I feel so much better OFF hormones than ON. Everyone is different, though. But this works for me. I was leary of taking estrogen anyway since my hysterectomy was partly due to severe endometriosis....it feeds on estrogen and cells that are left behind after a hysterectomy can still cause damage after surgery because of estrogen. And, I have to make sure I get enough calcium to prevent osteoperosis. But I still feel better OFF hormones than ON them. I just turned 40 in March. No children. Couldn't have had children anyway...husband had the big "V" years ago before we met. So we joke that he's shooting blanks and I don't have any targets! Ha!

Not really sure if this post helps you in any way....but thought I'd share my story about hormones. Thanks for listening. Best of luck to you.

#332742 - 07/18/08 10:02 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Nugget, You are so funny.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332743 - 07/18/08 10:13 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

have to have a sense of humor about this type of thing. Ya know? I could either be upset that I can't have kids or have a sense of humor about it because everything happens for a reason.

#332744 - 07/18/08 10:21 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I had a very good ob/gyn and clinical pharmacist that worked together to determine which hormone combination would work best for me, considering my history of migraines, acne, and an ovarian cyst. I've tried lots of pills over the years, but the one they came up with, Necon, I absolutely LOVED. I felt great all the time. And I never missed having a period, that's for sure!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

You know there's such thing as vegan chocolate, right??? new
      #332745 - 07/18/08 10:23 AM
Lisa Marie

Why are you all depriving yourselves of chocolate??? There's no need! Go bake a peppermint fudge cake, or some chocolate pudding brownies. Or buy some non-dairy chocolate chips and bake some cookies! There's TONS of chocolate things we can eat!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: You know there's such thing as vegan chocolate, right??? new
      #332752 - 07/18/08 11:21 AM
fancymom

I know...but I cannot tolerate chocolate right now. Not even cocoa powder. I have HORRIBLE GERD, and chocolate sends me over the edge. In any form - SO, eat some chocolate for me, would ya?!?!

Maybe in a few weeks or a month, when my GERD gets calmed back down, I can try eating it again...can't wait !!

--------------------
FancyMom

Re: Vegan chocolate just SOUNDS wrong!!!!nt new
      #332755 - 07/18/08 12:20 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332757 - 07/18/08 12:32 PM
fancymom

But if it's all you can have, then it sounds pretty darn GOOD!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332764 - 07/18/08 02:47 PM
Lisa Marie

Have you ever tried it?? I honestly can't tell the difference. If you haven't yet made Heather's peppermint fudge cake, which happens to be vegan, you are missing out! My friends have come to demand that cake at parties now. I've also gotten some sinfully rich fudge and chocolate cake at a local vegan bakery, and it's better than any non-vegan stuff I've tried!

Open your mind!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 414 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review