All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vitamin D deficiency
      #332492 - 07/15/08 11:35 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Anyone deal with a vitamin D deficiency? How did taking prescription-strength vitamin D affect your IBS? I have to take 50,000 iu (1 pill) of vitamin D once a month for six months. In addition to that, I have to take an OTC supplement of 1000 iu daily. I've been stable for a couple of years now and recently the only IBS activity I've noticed in some mild constipation now and then. I have started treatment yet because I'm work about any possible GI side effects. I don't take any vitamin/mineral supplements. The pharmacist told me that nausea might be a problem, which I think I can deal with thanks to ginger-lemon tea, and that's about it.

Thanks for your responses!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vitamin D deficiency new
      #332501 - 07/15/08 12:20 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Can't you get vitimin d from the sun?I thought I heard that you only needed15 minutes in the sun aday on your bare skin to get the amount you needed.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332502 - 07/15/08 12:36 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The 15 minutes of sun is true for most people. However, if you are truly vit D deficient you will need more than just the sun can provide, especially true in people with many chronic, or auto-immune diseases. The one exception is Sarcoidosis, people like me don't process vit D properly and have a dysregulated amounted of vit D in our system, called hypercalcemia. But, once again, I am the anomaly! LOL!!

Vit D is typically well tolerated in those who need it but have not researched it much in regards to the effects it can cause on IBS.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#332504 - 07/15/08 01:25 PM
lalala

Thanks for explaining it so well, Michele! Good to read that things are (slowly) improving for you.

#332505 - 07/15/08 01:29 PM
lalala

Hi, dragonfly! Unfortunately, I can't be in the sun and I have to use sunblock at all times because I have lupus. Michele did a great job explaining how vitamin D deficiencies overlap with autoimmune disorders. I guess I learned something new today.

#332512 - 07/15/08 02:43 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

One friend of mine with IBS was also diagnosed with a D deficiency, and swears her symptoms improved once she started supplements.

Vitamins tend to aggravate my tummy, but everyone's different.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#332513 - 07/15/08 02:57 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

When they thought I had ra and fibro (possibly still have fibro, they don't really know!) they said that vit D could actually improve my chronic pain. If you are having pain with your Lupus, I would definitely give it a try! I forget exactly the doctors explanation for that but I also remember reading about it on line as well!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#332517 - 07/15/08 04:23 PM
lalala

Wow! You guys are actually making me excited to start taking my Vitamin D. I do still have muscle pain -- maybe this is why! I'll start it on Sunday!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4882

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review