All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: IBS and white flour products new
      #332459 - 07/14/08 04:54 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

I bet you can! Let me know how it goes...you will probably love them as much as I do.

The only thing you will have to get used to is the texture. It's not the "Wonder bread" that is white and fluffy...it's the way REAL bread is supposed to be. When doctors and nutritionists talk about eating "whole grain" bread, ezekiel bread is exactly what they mean! The WHOLE GRAINS still intact. I love the bible verse on the package! Really makes you think!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#332468 - 07/15/08 04:07 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Ugh - I can't! I can't!

It was so nice to eat "real" bread again - I feel soooo guilty every time I eat white bread, because my head knows better! My head knows whole grain bread is better for so many reasons!

Too bad I can't get my gut on board. I freaked my husband out with my 5 months pregnant belly last night! It was huger than it's ever been!!

I do feel like I'm gearing up for a good BM this morning, though. It's a shame my body can't recognize a good thing!

--------------------
IBS-C

#332469 - 07/15/08 04:08 AM
Fen

Fancymom, if you don't mind, I 'm curious how long it took you to become stable. Did you follow a high SF diet while you stabilized?

Help! Us C'ers are definitely in the minority here!

--------------------
IBS-C

#332494 - 07/15/08 11:40 AM
fancymom

Wow. It was such a long journey. And so long ago, it's hard to say. I think it was through persistant self searching. After I went to my 12th or 13th visit to my Gastro Doc, and he just kept giving me the run-around about how "they" don't really know what causes IBS, and writing more prescriptions for pills I didn't need, I became my own detective. I really believe that ultimately, we are responsible for our own well-being. A lot of people(me included) abuse our bodies for years on end with poor diet, and no exercise, then we wonder why our bodies are finally exhausted and breaking down. The we expect doctors to fix us - I know I did!! I just wanted to eat whatever I wanted, drink whatever I wanted(soda, wine, beer), and never have any health problems. I guess it took me a LOOOONG time to realize how crazy that is! Everything we put in our mouths makes us healthier, or sicker.

So, I figured out what made me stable(food-wise), and what pissed off my tummy. I found out which vitamins I can tolerate(there's really only one), and which supplements I needed to take to make me feel "normal" again. I found out I was SEVERLY mineral depleted, and also slightly vitamin depleted. It was my own fault. That's what was so depressing. I KNEW my lifestyle(taking birth control pills for 12 years, drinking every weekend with my girlfriends when I was single, eating fried fast foods every day)had finally caught up with me...and I was SICK.
So, I decided(based on my symptoms)to become my own advocate. Do my own research. Take my health into my own hands...and FIX MYSELF!

Now I can say I feel about 90% better than I did 7 years ago, and it is so empowering! Granted, I occasionally have my moments(usually after I give in to a pizza craving ), but it's just that...occasional. And that feels GOOOOD!!

How are you doing?? What are your symptoms like?? Sounds like they may be a lot like mine were.

--------------------
FancyMom

#332495 - 07/15/08 11:44 AM
fancymom

Fen, Fen, Fen. What am I gonna do with you, girl!!

You know what? You gotta do what you gotta do. You just need to keep on truckin', take one day at a time, and don't do anything that your not READY to do. It all comes down to this...it's YOUR body. Nobody elses. Do what feels right for you.

Hopefully you'll have a nice, big blowout today, and feel much better...and lighter!! HA!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332537 - 07/16/08 04:09 AM
Fen

I really think my problem is that I can't eat wheat/gluten at all.

I did a gluten free diet a few years ago (for almost a year) and initially felt a lot better and lost some weight. Actually, I was almost scarily thin - I think I was down to about 106. Anyway, I started feeling crappy on the diet and just went back to eating wheat. And I've been steadily feeling worse and worse and worse (and more and more bloated) ever since.

In retrospect, I think the reason I began to feel crappy on the GF diet is because I reintroduced dairy, as well as I was eating a lot of GF junk food, like special cookies. These are really starchy and sugary and sometimes fatty and certainly by no means "real food."

So my new plan of attack as of today is to eat GF, and to eat as much real food as possible. (And as low sugar as possible!)

So breakfast was gorilla munch (which does have a few grams of sugar, but hey) with blueberries and unsweetened almond milk.

Lunch is a nice salad with turkey and a pear. I also have a lara bar in case I run some errands after work and need a snack.

I haven't figured dinner out yet, we'll see how I feel after my salad! Maybe some rice or buckwheat pasta with veggies.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I guess as you continue on your sugar free journey, I'll begin (again) a gluten free journey.

--------------------
IBS-C

#332540 - 07/16/08 07:21 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Here's something,i found a site by another woman who states that it's not what you eat it's all about food combination.
The first thing she said was to eat fruit on an empty stomach and nothing else for three hours.Needless to say I haven't tried this.The thought sends me into a panic!I haven't decided if I am going to try this approach as it sounds like alot of meal planning and her recipes are whacked but it left me wondering.
I bought her books and have read some of it but I find that Heathers diet works for me.I think I'm even losing weight too.YAY!!
Anyway I know a few people aren't finding relief in this approach and wonder what else you have tried?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332542 - 07/16/08 07:24 AM
fancymom

Well, we ARE a lot alike. I cannot tolerate wheat/gluten either. I DEFINITELY think the reason you were feeling crappy after starting your GF diet was because of dairy!! I cannot tolerate dairy AT ALL!! I also cannot tolerate much soy. Only soy cheese and soy yogurt, but not soy milk or soy ice cream...wierd.

Anyway, good luck on your GF diet. I'm doing that too. Also, no dairy and very little sugar. I eat vanilla flavored soy yogurt in the mornings, and that has a little sugar in it, but it doesn't bother my tummy at all. Like you, I think wheat/gluten and dairy bothers me the MOST - so I'm sticking to eliminating those 2.

Let me know how it goes!!

--------------------
FancyMom

#332543 - 07/16/08 07:27 AM
fancymom

Interesting. I have a book called "Food Combining and Digestion." It says to eat fruit alone(haven't heard about the wait 3 hours thing, though). Also says to combine veggies and starch, and meat and veggies, but NEVER meat and starch. I've tried it, and it actually does make sense!

I ate a big plate of sauteed veggies once, over pasta and my tummy felt great after. Not sure if it was the food combining or not

--------------------
FancyMom

#332602 - 07/16/08 04:08 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I'm like so many of you guys - I guess we all are or we wouldn't be here! I've tried so hard to do gluten free, and definitely cannot do whole wheat, whole grains...even oats, but - oddly, I do pretty good on plain white bread and even bagels. And, same is true of dairy - a little yogurt (haven't tried soy yet - only supposed to have a limited amount due to allergy). But, my dr. also said it frequently comes down to a combination of those things - one may be OK, but not any together.
As for the fruit, I've read to eat it first because it starts to ferment in your digestive tract and if you eat it last, it's sitting there fermenting on top of all you have eaten. Like you, I've read the same thing about food combining and even Dr. Jordan Rubin (Maker's Diet, et al) said eat protein first, then veggies and fiber and carbs last...I'm sure you are like me and have read so many books in an attempt to get well, your mind starts reeling!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14491

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review