All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Allergy testing
      #332044 - 07/06/08 05:27 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I was wondering if anyone has ever had food allergy testing done? I think I might do it. For quite some time through deductive reasoning (eating the food then having symptoms) I deduced that I am allergic to avocado, bananas, eggs(although that was a since baby allergy) and honey. So today... I made the roasted tomato and mango salsa from the EFI cookbook to take to a party and it called for honey. I thought... hmm.. what made me think I was allergic to honey- I used to drink Chai tea and that has honey in it! So I put honey in the salsa and now I feel like crap. Its not IBS- its a totally different feeling and a familiar one which I have gotten in the past from guacamole, bananas, and scrambled eggs. I have this like tight/cramping feeling in my abdomen and stomach. Its not an "urgent bathroom" feeling either.
So now I am very mad at myself because I couldnt eat anything else at the party, so I sat there with my bowl of salsa with honey in it and baked tostitos and ate that. I just dont get how I can have a chai tea and feel fine... but have salsa with 3 tablespoons of honey in it and feel horrible!
So to make my long story short- I am wondering if anyone has ever been food allergy tested? I also have pollen allergies, but I would like to get my food allergy confirmed for once and for all. Thanks for your help and thanks for listening!!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Allergy testing new
      #332045 - 07/06/08 07:51 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I think thats a good idea. Remember that if you have pollen allergies, honey is made from bees who rub against pollen.Perhaps you sometimes get a reaction depending on where the honey came from and what pollen the bees had.You might be allergic to some pollen and not all.
It's worth getting checked out, it certainly can't hurt.Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#332046 - 07/06/08 08:45 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Completely understand. About 2 yrs ago had complete allergy work up - severe reactions (entire arm swollen like a ballon and breathing difficulties). Allergic to the usual...trees, grass, dust, animal dander. Dr. wanted to start allergy shots immediately - did not trust Dr. (problem I have after so many all these years), so opted not to. My family Dr. has done the simply blood allergy tests (RAST) several times - I think it's pretty accurate... mine shows allergies to wheat, dairy, peanuts, shellfish, eggs. BUT, as she says - some times its a build up, e.g. you may be able to eat wheat today, but not tomorrow and try not to mix 2 allergens together. I'm also allergic to bee/wasp stings, so try to stay away from honey. It's crazy, isn't it...and complicated...all the things I mentioned above + basically no carbs due to candidias & no seeds/nuts because of diverticulosis + IBS Diet "no-nos" - WHAT CAN I EAT??? LOL
The RAST testing was/is informative for me and changes from year to year. I was especially glad to know about the peanuts, that was my most severe reaction. Good luck...

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332048 - 07/07/08 04:17 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Food allergy testing is a good idea...just so you know for sure. I had it done a couple years ago. Turns out I'm not allergic to a single thing! But at least I know. And it was super simple. They just do a bunch of tiny pricks on your back. Doesn't hurt. Then they let them set for a few minutes and see if you react. I'd definitely give it a try.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#332054 - 07/07/08 06:36 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Wow. Your so smart, dragonfly. Didn't think about the pollen/honey connection. Good call!

I had allergy testing done about 5 years ago, and I wasn't allergic to a single thing.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332066 - 07/07/08 08:23 AM
steffiejoy

Thanks for your advice everyone! I researched honey allergies online and it said that if you have pollen allergies that you should stay away from raw natural honey... what kind of honey did I use- raw, natural honey! Of course! So that figures. It seems so obvious now, but I never thought of that before! I am going to do the allergy testing-I just wonder what doctor I see to do that- do I go to my GI or my main doc. or do I need an allergist?? Thanks again!

Stef

#332112 - 07/08/08 04:30 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I think you have to see an allergist. That's what I did.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Made the appointment! new
      #332157 - 07/08/08 08:13 PM
steffiejoy

Well I made the appointment to get allergy tested. I found an allergist in my insurance network and am getting tested Monday June 14th. So I guess I will see what happens. Knowing my luck, it will come back that I am allergic to nothing and then I will be back at square one! Hopefully I can get some answers! Thanks for all your help!!

Stef

Re: Made the appointment! new
      #332162 - 07/09/08 06:27 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hope you ment July cause June is a LONG ways away!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Opps!! I meant July!! -nt new
      #332169 - 07/09/08 08:07 AM
steffiejoy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review