All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Going back to work
      #330943 - 06/11/08 09:42 AM
TG

Reged: 06/04/08

Along with the other not-so-fun inflammation issues I have, my IBS reasonably under control. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about my savings.

Anyway, I'm re-entering the work force at a low-stress job but I'm nervous about how to deal with the occasional flare-up that either renders me immobile for a few minutes or forces me to spend quality time in the bathroom.

I would really, REALLY appreciate any advice that anyone can give me about how to manage the workplace environment.

Thanks!

TG
Digest This Comic!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going back to work new
      #330950 - 06/11/08 10:49 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Working with IBS isn't the easiest but it can be done. I was honest with my co-workers which helps a lot. They know I have tummy troubles and we often get a good laugh about it. Also, I was surprised at how forward others were about their GI woes after I opened up about mine. The other 2 things that get me through are a constant stock of fennel tea and Pepto for when it gets really bad!

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#330960 - 06/11/08 12:47 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I agree, Snowy. In fact, I have found a few other coworkers who "share my pain". If you're upfront, most people are sympathetic. And of course a sense of humor is the best medicine.

The best trick I've found is during the times that I'm feeling good, I try to go a little "above and beyond" on the job and be extra helpful to coworkers. That way, when you're having a rough time, noone can be bitter about having to pick up the slack.

Good Luck!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#330964 - 06/11/08 01:56 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

This one is tough. Snowy is right. After you get to know your co-workers a little better, you can open up a little and let them know you have a touchy tummy.

What always helped me was keeping acacia powder, and fibercon in my desk drawer. I took it before I ate lunch every day, and it really helped my tummy stay calm.

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#330983 - 06/11/08 05:09 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey good luck at your new job!

I was very upfront with my boss about my IBS. It turned out she has the same thing!!
We talk every day about recipes we've tried and what triggers an attack.Ishare with her any news I've read here and if she has any questions I try to find an answer on this site.
My coworkers are helpful too and offer advice for me. some I try some no way!
It's very comforting for me to know that if I have to leave for personal reasons, they understand.
I'm still quesy about having to go in public bathrooms but I've begun to realize that I'm the only one paying attention to when I go.

I've actually just quit my job for other reasons, but I know if I need to get another job, I'ts not going to be as easy as this one was.
Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#330986 - 06/11/08 06:16 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I wish you lots of good tummy days at your new job!!

I've never had the advantage of being off work and able to heal myself without the added stress load. I left a very high-stress, highly demanding position after 6.5 years in November to work I enjoy doing, where I am appreciated and where my IBS is soooo much better!

I still have my bad days occasionally at work, there is stress at every job. I keep peppermint tea in my desk drawer, altoids, immodium and gravol in my purse, and I have the most understanding boss you could ever imagine. I had a really bad atack one day and I had to leave without waiting for her to get back from lunch. All I could do was email her. She was fine with it. Plus she knows I have tummy trouble - she takes me for lunch to all these fancy places but checks their menus before we go to make sure I can eat there!! How's that for a boss!

But anyways, I hope you will enjoy your new job. Take each day as it comes. If the people you work for are understanding than you can be open and honest with them. Feel them out before you spill your guts though. If they ask you can always start with - I have food allergies, or a sensitive stomache rather than the full blown IBS.

Good Luck!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#331075 - 06/13/08 11:06 AM
TG

Reged: 06/04/08

Thanks for all of your great advice! It makes me feel more confident about my job

Digest This Comic!

Helpful advice new
      #331540 - 06/24/08 05:17 PM
mizutenshi1

Reged: 04/03/07
Loc: Portland, OR

Try to find a way to tell your boss about it. Most people understand because its something you cant really help. I didnt tell my boss and when I had an attack, they ask me why I didnt tell them in the beginning. They were very understanding- I've only met two people in my life that didnt understand my ibs.

Also, keep lots of tea packets in your desk- I have peppermint, fennel, and jasmine tea. If you start to feel badly, drink some. Also take a few minutes to just breath and relax if you start to stress out.

Another lifesaver for me is having little baggies of safe snacks in my desk- like rice cakes, nilla wafers, and popcorn. I don't know what is safe for you- but having those snacks helps with keeping my stomach from becoming empty and creating a potentially horrible situation.

Goodluck on your job! Remember if you start to worry, you're not the only one!

--------------------
"Smile at someone for no reason at all, theyll think ure up to something."(IBS-A)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review