All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
airline travel with acacia powder
      #330898 - 06/10/08 04:37 PM
Ellen Davis

Reged: 06/10/08

Does anyone have any experience taking and using the acacia powder on long, overnight flights? Does getting that white powder through airport security pose problems? Do flight attendants or passengers look askance when you bring out your 3-oz. vial of white powder? I've never posted on a forum before; I might have broken all the rules. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks. Ellendavis.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: airline travel with acacia powder new
      #330906 - 06/10/08 05:59 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hi Ellen -
Not sure about putting acacia fiber in your carry-on bag. Can you check it in your big luggage? That might be a better way to assure you don't get it taken away by airport security...

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#330909 - 06/10/08 07:12 PM
Ellen Davis

Hi FancyMom. I will put most of the stuff in my big, checked luggage, but for the evening meal on the plane, before I go to sleep on the plane, then before the thing they call breakfast on the plane I'll need a hit. Do you think the fact that it's a non-medically prescribed white powder will challenge the system? And, insecure person that I am, I'll want a little back-up in the event my luggage doesn't arrive when I do. Perish that thought! Keep talking, please. I need your ideas. Thanks, E.

#330918 - 06/10/08 10:58 PM
LogicalGator

Reged: 04/27/08
Loc: Maryland, USA

This probably isn't very useful, but I can't sleep so I'll share 2 things:
-Last time I flew, though I did have my Acacia in my checked luggage, I put the container in a ziploc bag and marked it "Fiber" with a Sharpie. Was hoping that labeling it would create less suspicion by security.
-I've only flown once with Acacia, but I've flown a couple times with protein shake powder (before starting this diet) which looks very similar. Again I would check it, but didn't have a problem.

If you're worried about security, I'd suggest putting it in a food container packed with/near the food you're bringing. If it doesn't look like you're trying to hide it, I wouldn't think security would give you trouble.

Though it sounds like you'll be flying internationally, and I have no experience with that. Good luck.

#330936 - 06/11/08 08:38 AM
fancymom

Ok, Ellen. Here's an idea. Might be a bit of a pain in the buttocks, but it will work.
I just flew to Mexico 2 weeks ago, and I took some of my "Absorb Aid" capsules in my carry-on luggage. I think maybe if you put your acacia in some capsules, and put them in a little prescription bottle, or a ziplock baggie (I put mine in a ziplock, and they never said a word on either flight)...that may help.
I found some empty capsules at Whole Foods Market. Then you can just dump them in your water later.

Hope this helped!

--------------------
FancyMom

#330942 - 06/11/08 09:30 AM
Ellen Davis

Fabulous idea. Thanks so much. I'm off to buy a black marking pen. E.D.

#330952 - 06/11/08 10:51 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I recommend buying the 1 lb can of acacia and carrying the entire thing in your carry-on. That eliminates the "unknown" factor in carrying a white powder. If your bag does get checked they can see exactly what it is that you have. I did this on my honeymoon and had no problems.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#330953 - 06/11/08 11:04 AM
Ellen Davis

Fancymom, how many empty capsules and what size does it take to equal one TBLS of powder? Even though it does sound like a pain in the butt, it might be better than other things we can think of regarding that part of the body. Thanks for the ingenuity.

#330959 - 06/11/08 12:21 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have flown many MANY times with both my acacia and my Natural Calm (another white powder) in unlabeled tupperware containers in my carry on. I usually also bring an entire loaf of zucchini bread wrapped in foil! I called TSA before I did it the first time to make sure it was okay, and they had no objections. You can carry on whatever dry food you like, it's liquids that are a problem.

Another great tip: I bought an adjustable measuring spoon at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. So one spoon can measure different quantities. Great for traveling!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#330963 - 06/11/08 01:52 PM
fancymom

Hi Ellen!
Lisa Marie and Snowy had some great ideas too!!

Ok, so if you want to go with the capsule idea, it takes 7 capsules to equal 1 Tbsp. Yeah...I know...it's a LOT. BUT, they do have the extra large capsules too. It only takes 4 of those.

--------------------
FancyMom

#330989 - 06/11/08 07:25 PM
Ellen Davis

Snowy, the one pound bag is not too big (considering the 3-oz. limit)to have in carry-on? I'd LOVE to do that, then I'd be sure I had plenty when I get to Copenhagen, but I thought TSA would disallow that for sure. I'm new to this whole game. I'm Miss IBS-PI, the latter taking place in March. I don't know squat. Thanks for educating me, ya'll. E.D.

#330992 - 06/11/08 07:28 PM
Ellen Davis

Thanks, Fancymom, that's valuable info to have. Either four or seven. I'm so clumsy it will be difficult for me to do that but I might give it a shot. Most appreciative, Ellen.

#330993 - 06/11/08 07:30 PM
Ellen Davis

Lisa Marie, so if the powder is in Tupperware it looks like just another food item, huh? Not bad. You're much more experienced with this mess than I am. But I'm learning. Thanks for the info. Ellen.

#330995 - 06/11/08 09:17 PM
LogicalGator

Reged: 04/27/08
Loc: Maryland, USA

The 3 oz limit is only for liquids (and I suppose gels). Since Acacia powder is just dry powder, you can take as much as you want.

#331010 - 06/12/08 08:11 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Apparently! Like I said, they don't care about dry food items. And they've never pulled the containers out of my bag and asked about them either. The only time they've looked in my carry on was when they saw metal and were looking for my travel measuring spoon! So yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Put the acacia in whatever container is convenient for you. And I should also note I flew through major airports like Denver and Miami.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#331021 - 06/12/08 09:56 AM
fancymom

Your right, Lisa Marie!
I went through the Atlanta airport, AND was on an international flight with my Absorb Aid (white powder pills)in my carry on luggage, and they never blinked. They were just in a regular old ziplock sandwich bag.

--------------------
FancyMom

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4125

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review