All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Haven't slept in 4 days!!!!!!!
      #330698 - 06/06/08 12:17 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Ok so I haven't slept in four days. I lay in bed and toss and turn. I finally fall asleep and half an hour I'm awake
Last night I tossed until 2am then i took a gravol to help. It took an hour to work and then i woke up at 4:30!!!!!
I'm so tired!!!!
I tried to nap on the couch and I still can't do it.
Any ideas to help? I can't drink alcohol otherwise I'd try that1!!
I'm grumpy and tired and want my sleep back!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Haven't slept in 4 days!!!!!!! new
      #330702 - 06/06/08 01:37 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I used to have this problem when I was in grad school. I used low doses of Benadryl and/or Nyquil which always worked. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about Rx sleep aids? I have also heard some of my friends mention they take melotonin, which is supposed to help relax you. It's a supplement, so it's not proven by the FDA to actually work. Plus, it's not regulated, so I'd be careful.

I always find exercising a lot during the day helps me get tired easier. Maybe amp up your exercise routine if you haven't already tried that.

#330727 - 06/07/08 04:07 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Do you have allergies? I find that when my allergies are acting up (especially this time of year!) I don't sleep very well. Unfortunately Claritin and the like make me a little hyper and mess with my sleep even more.

You may want to give some Benadryl a try. And/or try closing your windows if you have AC you can turn on - this will help keep pollen out.

And don't nap! That screws your sleep schedule up even more!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#330731 - 06/07/08 05:32 AM
dragonfly

Hey thaks guys. Yes I have allergies but they haven't been too bad this spring. I took Benedrl last night and it did help a bit. We had a HUGE storm and so I was up until 1am making sure everything was alright(many branches fell and a wall on our shed we just started building fell down too)
I did get some restful sleep and feel better today. One more night of drug induced sleep and I should be good to go!!

--------------------

#330734 - 06/07/08 06:42 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Has anyone ever tried the natural supplement, L-tryptophan...you know, the chemical in turkey that supposedly makes one sleepy? I heard it is also good for RLS- restless leg syndrome.

#330736 - 06/07/08 06:51 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Dragonfly,

You are not alone....I go through those times too. Especially when my body is somehow "off". What's been happening the last couple of nights is I wake up around 2:30 Am feeling like I have to poop. (My normal wake up time is about 5:30). Sometimes I can go and sometimes I just can't get anything to move until around my normal time of 5:30. Even if I have a BM at 2:30, it starts kind of a cycle where I go small amounts every couple of hours until about 7:00. By then I'm exhausted. The problem is I can't nap and by 8:00 at night I'm sleeping so guess what 2:30 I'm awake again. IBS is so unpredictable and there is no rhyme or reason why this happens. I try not to get too upset over it and be thankful that I at least got 6.5 hours of deep sleep.

Sharon

#330737 - 06/07/08 07:51 AM
dragonfly

I haven't slept well for the last few months. I wake up every couple of hours all night. I just quit my stupid job.Yahoo!!!!and we are building a 24 by 40 shed at home and also residing the house. Hoping to have this all done byJuly 12 as I am having a 50th birthday party for my dad. My husband is leaving on JUly 1-9 for a trip to Newfoundland to meet his biological family for the first time. School is almost out and the kids are WILD!!
In feb I had my gallbladder removed.Do you think this year has been stressful?Could that be why I can't sleep.
My IBS has been pretty good but my panic attacks have been coming in waves lately with no way to control when they hit me.

Is this tryptophan safe?For iBSers?

--------------------

#330738 - 06/07/08 08:33 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

have you considered taking an anti-anxiety med temporarily to get back on track or at least get some sleep. In the past I have taken Ativan (there is a generic) and it would really help to relax me without feeling loopy. Sometimes I would take about an hour before bed or ir a really stressful day, I would take 1/2 late afternoon and the other half before bed.

Re: Sharond new
      #330741 - 06/07/08 09:43 AM
dragonfly

Hey sharond.
No I don't like to take any drugs if I can help it.When I had my surgery the docs really screwed up and I ended up slightly addicted to Dilaudid. I was on morphene and oxycondone too. when I went off the pain meds they forgot to mention I might have withdrawl symptoms. I went two and a half weeks of withdrawl. Shakes, sweats, mood swings, shaking , sleeplessness. lots of crap. the doc gave me a script for Ativan but after reading the possible side affects I went it cold turkey(mmm cold turkey...)
so I'm reluctant to try anything possibly addictive. I usually take st johns wort for anxiety and sleeplessness but
it can affect the way my birthcontrol works unlike some of the posters here I DO NOT want to get preggo again.
I think I might have to break down though and try it again. thanks for your concern.

--------------------

Rx drugs new
      #330864 - 06/09/08 09:40 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

To piggyback on SharonD's advice, I forgot about rx meds! When I was at my worst with anxiety, I took low doses of xanax or valium. They made me sleep like a baby and no icky withdrawal as long as you don't overuse them. A glass of red wine also does the trick for me if you can tolerate it! I used to have baaaad issues with sleep, so I feel your pain! Hope you get some more rest soon

Re: Haven't slept in 4 days!!!!!!!Update new
      #330872 - 06/10/08 06:29 AM
dragonfly

Hey I finally got some sleep!!!!
I took benedryll for two nights and it did help.
I still wake up alot at night and haven't had a full nights sleep in......I don't know when!!!I was wondering if I could go to the hospital and ask to be put in a drug induced coma just so I'd get my 8hrs for at least one day.What do ya think they'd say?
Thanks for the advice. As soon as the kids get out of school, I'm planning on using a better sleep aide so i don't have to be awake right away in the morning.Then I'll let you know.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2664 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3221

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review