All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Haven't slept in 4 days!!!!!!!
      #330698 - 06/06/08 12:17 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Ok so I haven't slept in four days. I lay in bed and toss and turn. I finally fall asleep and half an hour I'm awake
Last night I tossed until 2am then i took a gravol to help. It took an hour to work and then i woke up at 4:30!!!!!
I'm so tired!!!!
I tried to nap on the couch and I still can't do it.
Any ideas to help? I can't drink alcohol otherwise I'd try that1!!
I'm grumpy and tired and want my sleep back!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Haven't slept in 4 days!!!!!!! new
      #330702 - 06/06/08 01:37 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I used to have this problem when I was in grad school. I used low doses of Benadryl and/or Nyquil which always worked. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about Rx sleep aids? I have also heard some of my friends mention they take melotonin, which is supposed to help relax you. It's a supplement, so it's not proven by the FDA to actually work. Plus, it's not regulated, so I'd be careful.

I always find exercising a lot during the day helps me get tired easier. Maybe amp up your exercise routine if you haven't already tried that.

#330727 - 06/07/08 04:07 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Do you have allergies? I find that when my allergies are acting up (especially this time of year!) I don't sleep very well. Unfortunately Claritin and the like make me a little hyper and mess with my sleep even more.

You may want to give some Benadryl a try. And/or try closing your windows if you have AC you can turn on - this will help keep pollen out.

And don't nap! That screws your sleep schedule up even more!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#330731 - 06/07/08 05:32 AM
dragonfly

Hey thaks guys. Yes I have allergies but they haven't been too bad this spring. I took Benedrl last night and it did help a bit. We had a HUGE storm and so I was up until 1am making sure everything was alright(many branches fell and a wall on our shed we just started building fell down too)
I did get some restful sleep and feel better today. One more night of drug induced sleep and I should be good to go!!

--------------------

#330734 - 06/07/08 06:42 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Has anyone ever tried the natural supplement, L-tryptophan...you know, the chemical in turkey that supposedly makes one sleepy? I heard it is also good for RLS- restless leg syndrome.

#330736 - 06/07/08 06:51 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Dragonfly,

You are not alone....I go through those times too. Especially when my body is somehow "off". What's been happening the last couple of nights is I wake up around 2:30 Am feeling like I have to poop. (My normal wake up time is about 5:30). Sometimes I can go and sometimes I just can't get anything to move until around my normal time of 5:30. Even if I have a BM at 2:30, it starts kind of a cycle where I go small amounts every couple of hours until about 7:00. By then I'm exhausted. The problem is I can't nap and by 8:00 at night I'm sleeping so guess what 2:30 I'm awake again. IBS is so unpredictable and there is no rhyme or reason why this happens. I try not to get too upset over it and be thankful that I at least got 6.5 hours of deep sleep.

Sharon

#330737 - 06/07/08 07:51 AM
dragonfly

I haven't slept well for the last few months. I wake up every couple of hours all night. I just quit my stupid job.Yahoo!!!!and we are building a 24 by 40 shed at home and also residing the house. Hoping to have this all done byJuly 12 as I am having a 50th birthday party for my dad. My husband is leaving on JUly 1-9 for a trip to Newfoundland to meet his biological family for the first time. School is almost out and the kids are WILD!!
In feb I had my gallbladder removed.Do you think this year has been stressful?Could that be why I can't sleep.
My IBS has been pretty good but my panic attacks have been coming in waves lately with no way to control when they hit me.

Is this tryptophan safe?For iBSers?

--------------------

#330738 - 06/07/08 08:33 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

have you considered taking an anti-anxiety med temporarily to get back on track or at least get some sleep. In the past I have taken Ativan (there is a generic) and it would really help to relax me without feeling loopy. Sometimes I would take about an hour before bed or ir a really stressful day, I would take 1/2 late afternoon and the other half before bed.

Re: Sharond new
      #330741 - 06/07/08 09:43 AM
dragonfly

Hey sharond.
No I don't like to take any drugs if I can help it.When I had my surgery the docs really screwed up and I ended up slightly addicted to Dilaudid. I was on morphene and oxycondone too. when I went off the pain meds they forgot to mention I might have withdrawl symptoms. I went two and a half weeks of withdrawl. Shakes, sweats, mood swings, shaking , sleeplessness. lots of crap. the doc gave me a script for Ativan but after reading the possible side affects I went it cold turkey(mmm cold turkey...)
so I'm reluctant to try anything possibly addictive. I usually take st johns wort for anxiety and sleeplessness but
it can affect the way my birthcontrol works unlike some of the posters here I DO NOT want to get preggo again.
I think I might have to break down though and try it again. thanks for your concern.

--------------------

Rx drugs new
      #330864 - 06/09/08 09:40 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

To piggyback on SharonD's advice, I forgot about rx meds! When I was at my worst with anxiety, I took low doses of xanax or valium. They made me sleep like a baby and no icky withdrawal as long as you don't overuse them. A glass of red wine also does the trick for me if you can tolerate it! I used to have baaaad issues with sleep, so I feel your pain! Hope you get some more rest soon

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3221

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review