All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Crappy weekend
      #330211 - 05/26/08 12:05 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Two disclaimers before I start out this post (which is probably going to be a book by the time I'm done). 1. I know that it is Memorial Day & even though I am incredibily lucky to not have any loved ones in the military, my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones or who have loved ones fighting for us right now. 2. I almost never post here anymore so I apologize for dropping my cruddy weekend details on all of you.

I was looking forward to this 3 day weekend since we haven't had one since Christmas but it has turned out to be a pretty crappy one. We have 3 dogs (Beau, Noey, & BJ) & 1 cat (Pepper). Saturday morning we took Beau in for annual vaccinaations & for the vet to look at his leg b/c he has been limping for a few days. I know Beau is getting old (he's 12) but it is so hard to see him struggle & in pain. He has messed up his leg (they think it will heal if he rests), he has sight problems, & now he has lost 21 pounds in the last year. They told us that he needs to gain about 8 lbs. All in all he is doing okay but I can't get the nagging thought out of my head that his day is coming.

Sunday morning we took the other 2 dogs for a walk & Noey, who is a terrier and has the killer instinct when it comes to small animals, jumped on & killed a baby rabbit right in front of me. I have such a soft spot for animals that I couldn't get the sight of that dead rabbit out of my head. Noey is our princess and a very loving dog. It's probably my own fault it happened b/c we let her kill snakes & mice outside so how can she know the difference between what she can kill & what she can't?!

Sunday afternoon bad storms & tornadoes swept through the area and destroyed almost an entire local town and killed 8 people. Again, I do not know any of them personally, but my heart goes out to them.

Also on Sunday morning Pepper (our cat who lives in our garage but is able to go outside any time she wants) came home looking like she had just given birth. We thought it was weird because she had been so skinny up until then so we didn't know how she could have been pregnant. Her butt and hind legs were all bloody and she was walking funny. We figured it was just after-birth so we let her leave again after she got something to eat & drink. This morning she came up to the fence around the yard but didn't have it in her to jump over and come home. DH went out and got her and brought her into the yard. He looked at her closer and could see that she had not given birth like we thought. She must have been attacked by another animal because she has 2 holes, 1 just bigger than a quarter size in her right back leg and another about the size of an egg in her left back leg. You can see muscle through the one and her guts through the other. I can't bring myself to look at it closely but DH is pretty sure she has an infection in there.

We talked about our options which include rushing her to the animal hospital since it is a holiday & our vets office is not open, putting her down at home, or waiting until tomorrow morning and then taking her in if she's still alive. We decided not to rush her to he hospital b/c we know it would cost a lot of money and we really don't think she's going to make it anyway and neither of us have it in us for DH to shoot her even though she is obviously in a lot of pain. If she makes it through the night we're going to take her to the vet in the morning and have her put down. I have cried for about the last 2-3 hours wondering if we are making the right decision. Even though we've only had her for 3 months and she's pretty much an outdoor cat we love her. Since we have struggled to get pregnant with no luck, our animal kids have become even more precious to us.

Okay, I've rambled enough and once again I'm sorry for burdening everyone. I just had to get my feelings out. I hope everyone else has had a better weekend than we have. Go hug your loved ones & your pets.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Crappy weekend new
      #330221 - 05/26/08 05:40 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Snowy - I'm sorry to hear about your pets - it is really sad news about your furry friends.

I wish all the best for you!

HUGS!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#330232 - 05/27/08 07:46 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Yikes! Crappy weekend, indeed!

I'm so sorry. I don't know what else to say.

(((Hugs)))

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Crappy weekend. your not alone! new
      #330235 - 05/27/08 07:55 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am sorry sweetie! You have a big heart god blees you and I hope all your furry friends are doing ok.

Your not the only one whos weekend was off.....
My dh had to be on call all weekend I know somone has to do it, and he did trade it for the 4th.

I was suppose to be 37 weeks along by now but that didn't happen I had a misscarage in nov so thats still hard to deal with and a reminder of were I should be by now.
Anyway me and dh aruged over what we were eating sat casue I am so sick of the same old food.

Then we went to a birthday party/cookout only to find out that one of the couples we know who get everything in life are prego again and she was acting very imature about it. That hurts....

Yesterday was a cookout at my parents only to hear that my sister is taking pre-natial vitims to make her hair grow? Me and dh know better she has 4 kids and this year they will all be in school and she to lazy to get a job or do house work so we think shes going to have another one. Thats hurts even worse..... She has help with the 4 shes got. (Shes very spoiled always has been and LAZY)

The rest of the day turned out ok but it still hurts you know... Thanks for letting me vent!!
Take care and have a better week....
xxx
emmasmom
ibs-c 10 yrs
gas

#330236 - 05/27/08 08:20 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I'm so sorry to hear about your loved ones.
Just to let you know you aren't alone. Last week my cat went missing for two days. We live in the country but he NEVER leaves the property. He was mostly an indoor cat but loved it outside during the summer. He was the smartest cat in the world( yes I know) One christmas I hung a bell on the door knob to outside and from then on he rang the bell when he wanted out. We never needed a litter box either.

Anyway I called for him and searched every where. we have a crawl space under the house and I was afraid he went in there to die so I ripped up my floor. Sound extreme? I even sent my 9 yr old in to look for him. (He wasn't afraid)
No cat. Then i thought something ate him but didn't see any fur or blood anywhere.
On a whim I thought to recheck where my hubby had looked. I yelled and yelled for him and then prayed to god to help me find him. I then heard a faint meow and dove behind the shed tearing at the junk. I found him thank god alive and rushed him to the vets. a few hours later and a bill of 500$ we were forced to have him put down. The vet says he died of old age but I can't get that nagging feeling out of my head that if i had found him sooner......
He was 11 years old and yes he was my other baby. we found him when he was a few weks old. Just after we brought our first son home.
I can't stop crying either and I really feel your pain.
It would be nice if our pets lived longer but such is not the case.

I'll be thinking of you and hope things get better soon for you. God bless.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: emmas mom new
      #330237 - 05/27/08 08:25 AM
dragonfly

So sorry to hear about your loss also. It's very hard losing a baby.(I've lost two)Do you have other children?
It's really hard seeing everyone else getting what you want but it does get better. When the time is right you will be blessed also. Everything happens for a reason(sucks sometimes) but I've had three wonderful children all healthy and I take comfort in knowing god is taking care of my babies until I can do it myself.

My heart goes out to you. Good luck trying again.

--------------------

Dragon fly.... new
      #330238 - 05/27/08 08:33 AM
emmasmom

Thank you! It helps to know that someone else understands! I have 1 child shes is my light you know. It has been hard. We have talked about trying again but I have such a hard time with vitimns the iron makes my c so much worse. I don't know what to do. Thanks again for understanding it means alot. (xxxx) hugs
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Re: Dragon fly.... new
      #330239 - 05/27/08 09:34 AM
dragonfly

Hey, not that I'd reccomend not taking vit. but...I didn't actually take any when i was preggo. I could never remember to. I didn't have bad pregnancies though. My IBSd was gone when i was preg.(makes me want to rent out my uterus so that I'd always feel good!)just kidding.
I take it your daughters name is Emma? My last baby is also Emma. She's five going on sixteen. Man! I didn't think we were going to have her either. At six weeks I began to bleed but it stopped thank goodness.
I found that as soon as I quit thinking about wanting to get pregnant I'd get pregnant!!!

It can be hard I know. a week after I lost the first one my sister in-law had a baby girl. Big bummer for me. Just remember not to hold an invisible grudge. I did and at the time couldn't help it but looking back I regret it. It's no ones fault for losing a baby but the pain is very hard to bear.
I'll be thinking of you and praying you get your miracle. If you choose not to try again, then rejoice in your baby girl and love her twice as much!!
My kids are old enough to do things for themselves now so I actually get to sleep in on weekends so even though I want more kids...I really like my sleep! haha

Take heart in this..my girlfriends kids are 15,14and 11.
In 10 days she'll be having surprise #4!!!

Take care.

--------------------

Re: Dragon fly.... new
      #330240 - 05/27/08 10:27 AM
emmasmom

Thanks so much for your post. My daughter name is emma she is 3 going on 12 . We have talked about trying again. Right now I am trying to get myself a litle more stable by putting more food in me. I am workling on broc and blueberrys, and almond butter. I am on birthcontrol and thats helping with my ibs as well so I am kind scared to go off the pill. I guess time will tell. I my ibs was gone when i was prego with her so i rember what it felt like to!!! Thank you so much for your messages they do make me feel better.take care.
emmasmom
ibs-c 10 yrs
gas

Re: So sorry new
      #330242 - 05/27/08 10:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Its so hard losing a beloved pet. I have lost two cats, one to cancer, died in my arms in the middle of the night. The other was hit by a car right in front of me two summers ago, I still have nightmares.

I, too, can not have children. I have suffered 5 miscarriages and now struggle with chronic, progressive sarcoidosis, an auto-immune disease.

I now have two small dogs, Harley and Oliver-I am sure you have all seen the pictures I post of them often!! We still also have one kitty, who is 5. I take the dogs to work with me and yes, they are my surrogate children. I can't even begin to think about the day they will not be with me.

I hope everyone is having a better day today.
Love and hugs

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks everyone! new
      #330256 - 05/27/08 01:28 PM
Snowy

I appreciate everyone's kind words. It was a terrible weekend- lots of crying! This morning when we woke up Pepper was actually eating and drinking which I thought was a great sign but I didn't want to get my hopes up. We took her into the vet first thing & they kept her for the morning. They are giving her a 40% chance of surviving. I wish that percentage was higher but it is much better than I had thought yesterday after seeing how much damage she had on her body. We have to keep her bandaged (& change them every day), give her antibiotics twice a day, and we need to get her to take it easy. She'll probably have to get locked in the utility room during the day when we're not home so the dogs aren't bothering her and so she doesn't get into mischief. She used to be a garage/outdoor cat but I think now she'll be a house cat. I can't risk this happening to her again. Does anyone have any pointers on what we can feed her to put some weight on? She is skin & bones right now. I have heard cats don't do as well with table scraps as dogs do so I don't want to go that route if it is going to be hard on her GI system. I have tried tuna straight from the can but she walked away from it. The vet said canned cat food and maybe even baby food.

Once again, thank you to everyone! These boards are such a great support system!

--------------------

Dragonfly new
      #330263 - 05/27/08 02:32 PM
Snowy

As I was reading your story I thought for sure there was going to be a happy ending. I would have been frantic if any of my "babies" were missing for 2 days. I am so sorry for your loss. Loosing pets is not easy. Why can't they have longer lives?!

--------------------

Michelle new
      #330268 - 05/27/08 02:55 PM
Snowy

Hi Michelle-

I have followed your story over the years. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to post on the boards but I know you have suffered more than your fair share of misfortune. I hope things turn around for you very soon. At least you have your two adorable pups to help fill the void. I know it doesn't take away from the pain of not being able to carry a child but it does help. At least it has for me.

Best wishes to you!

--------------------

Re: kitty food new
      #330270 - 05/27/08 03:55 PM
dragonfly

Hey I'm so glad to hear shes ok so far.
I'm not sure about putting on weight. Some cats are skinny but I'd do a deworming just to be sure. A tapeworm could be the problem. Once she's feeling better she will start to eat more. Wet food will give her bad breath but if she isn't drinking much go that route for now. We don't feed our pets table scraps(doesn't mean they don't get them though. They sure try hard enough) I did hear that raw egg is good for their(cats) coats.
I'm so glad you have good news. It cheers me up knowing you got your baby back.
Keep me posted on her progress. I have a soft spot for cats. Love dogs have two but I love cats.
Cats are amazing what they can survive.
Congrats!!

--------------------

#330285 - 05/28/08 07:07 AM
Snowy

Thanks for the information! This is actually our first cat we've kept as a pet & allowed in the house so I'm still learning a little about them. The vet told my husband when he picked Pepper up yesterday that we would know if she is going to make it within the next couple of days and eating is a good sign. Not eating is a bad sign. Last night & this morning she was purring like crazy, rubbing up against us, & eating. I have high hopes that she is going to be okay!

Thanks again. I appreciate your concern.

--------------------

#330294 - 05/28/08 08:57 AM
dragonfly

Sounds good. If she was just laying around then that is a bad sign too. I'm glad she's doing so well!!!

--------------------

ReSnowy new
      #330641 - 06/05/08 10:46 AM
dragonfly

Just wondering how your kitty is doing?

--------------------

Re: ReSnowy new
      #330697 - 06/06/08 10:33 AM
Snowy

She's doing very good! We actually took her to the vet this morning and were told we only have to wrap her wounds for the next 2-3 days. She's going a little stir crazy since she's stuck in the same room 24/7 and used to have free reign of the garage and outside. I am very thankful- I really thought we were going to loose her in the beginning.

Thanks for asking!

--------------------

Re: Thanks everyone! new
      #330810 - 06/08/08 06:55 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

I am sorry about your cat. I have 2 at home, and love all animals. I would get some high quality human grade cat food (Merrick, innova) and give her some wet as well as dry. You had mentioned she had been outside and that you were going to make her an indoor kitty. This is a great idea. I volunteer at a cat shelter and I have seen many injuries and diseases due to cat fights. (Fiv and F-leuk)Indoor cats live longer.
Spaying your kitty if you're not a breeder is def. a consideration. One cat and its offspring can produce over 400,000 kittens in 7 years!!!
I grow cat grass for my cats, they love it and it gives them some greens, and they avoid my plants as well.
Good Luck, all the best.

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5504

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review