All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Thanks everyone! new
      #330256 - 05/27/08 01:28 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I appreciate everyone's kind words. It was a terrible weekend- lots of crying! This morning when we woke up Pepper was actually eating and drinking which I thought was a great sign but I didn't want to get my hopes up. We took her into the vet first thing & they kept her for the morning. They are giving her a 40% chance of surviving. I wish that percentage was higher but it is much better than I had thought yesterday after seeing how much damage she had on her body. We have to keep her bandaged (& change them every day), give her antibiotics twice a day, and we need to get her to take it easy. She'll probably have to get locked in the utility room during the day when we're not home so the dogs aren't bothering her and so she doesn't get into mischief. She used to be a garage/outdoor cat but I think now she'll be a house cat. I can't risk this happening to her again. Does anyone have any pointers on what we can feed her to put some weight on? She is skin & bones right now. I have heard cats don't do as well with table scraps as dogs do so I don't want to go that route if it is going to be hard on her GI system. I have tried tuna straight from the can but she walked away from it. The vet said canned cat food and maybe even baby food.

Once again, thank you to everyone! These boards are such a great support system!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dragonfly new
      #330263 - 05/27/08 02:32 PM
Snowy

As I was reading your story I thought for sure there was going to be a happy ending. I would have been frantic if any of my "babies" were missing for 2 days. I am so sorry for your loss. Loosing pets is not easy. Why can't they have longer lives?!

--------------------

Michelle new
      #330268 - 05/27/08 02:55 PM
Snowy

Hi Michelle-

I have followed your story over the years. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to post on the boards but I know you have suffered more than your fair share of misfortune. I hope things turn around for you very soon. At least you have your two adorable pups to help fill the void. I know it doesn't take away from the pain of not being able to carry a child but it does help. At least it has for me.

Best wishes to you!

--------------------

Re: kitty food new
      #330270 - 05/27/08 03:55 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey I'm so glad to hear shes ok so far.
I'm not sure about putting on weight. Some cats are skinny but I'd do a deworming just to be sure. A tapeworm could be the problem. Once she's feeling better she will start to eat more. Wet food will give her bad breath but if she isn't drinking much go that route for now. We don't feed our pets table scraps(doesn't mean they don't get them though. They sure try hard enough) I did hear that raw egg is good for their(cats) coats.
I'm so glad you have good news. It cheers me up knowing you got your baby back.
Keep me posted on her progress. I have a soft spot for cats. Love dogs have two but I love cats.
Cats are amazing what they can survive.
Congrats!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#330285 - 05/28/08 07:07 AM
Snowy

Thanks for the information! This is actually our first cat we've kept as a pet & allowed in the house so I'm still learning a little about them. The vet told my husband when he picked Pepper up yesterday that we would know if she is going to make it within the next couple of days and eating is a good sign. Not eating is a bad sign. Last night & this morning she was purring like crazy, rubbing up against us, & eating. I have high hopes that she is going to be okay!

Thanks again. I appreciate your concern.

--------------------

#330294 - 05/28/08 08:57 AM
dragonfly

Sounds good. If she was just laying around then that is a bad sign too. I'm glad she's doing so well!!!

--------------------

ReSnowy new
      #330641 - 06/05/08 10:46 AM
dragonfly

Just wondering how your kitty is doing?

--------------------

Re: ReSnowy new
      #330697 - 06/06/08 10:33 AM
Snowy

She's doing very good! We actually took her to the vet this morning and were told we only have to wrap her wounds for the next 2-3 days. She's going a little stir crazy since she's stuck in the same room 24/7 and used to have free reign of the garage and outside. I am very thankful- I really thought we were going to loose her in the beginning.

Thanks for asking!

--------------------

Re: Thanks everyone! new
      #330810 - 06/08/08 06:55 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

I am sorry about your cat. I have 2 at home, and love all animals. I would get some high quality human grade cat food (Merrick, innova) and give her some wet as well as dry. You had mentioned she had been outside and that you were going to make her an indoor kitty. This is a great idea. I volunteer at a cat shelter and I have seen many injuries and diseases due to cat fights. (Fiv and F-leuk)Indoor cats live longer.
Spaying your kitty if you're not a breeder is def. a consideration. One cat and its offspring can produce over 400,000 kittens in 7 years!!!
I grow cat grass for my cats, they love it and it gives them some greens, and they avoid my plants as well.
Good Luck, all the best.

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 692 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5529

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review