Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LADIES! yeast infections !!!
      #328910 - 04/26/08 11:28 AM
JJIbeach

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Wakefield, RI

Hey ladies-

Just wondering if any others out there suffering with recurring yeast infections... or if anybody knows what to do about it! I probably get one every month, without clue as to why. I have tried all that corporate bullshit (over-the-counter and prescription drugs that only mask the symptoms temporarily). I have tried natural cures (yogurt, garlic, apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, teatree oil, etc. etc.) that work to get rid of the infection ephemerally but it usually returns. I am careful about soaps, detergents, toilet paper dyes, iron underwear after thorough washing... I have read that diet is one possible cause, but with mixed reviews. I have heard white breads and yeasty foods are a cause, high sugar, high fat, low lactose,... IBS naturally complicates matters because the only types of breads/pastas I can eat are the white ones! I don't consider my diet particularly high in fat or sugar... but it definitely low in lactose... I have no idea what the hell to do anymore. Any advice??? Thank you!!!

--------------------
21, female, Long Island, NY
school in Kingston, RI

IBS-C, abdominal pain, gas, bloating, cramping; acid reflux; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome; chronic headaches

"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

"Suffering arises ... whenever we resist the flow of life and try to cling to fixed forms..., whether they are things, events, people, or ideas."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LADIES! yeast infections !!! new
      #328913 - 04/26/08 12:14 PM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

Are you sure you are having yeast infections?

Sounds like it could be something else. Over use of antibiotics will cause yeast infections. Other than yogurt, I'm not sure about the effects of diet.

Question: Did you write that you iron your underwear? Maybe I misunderstod. Just curious how that would help.

Poor thing, I hope you can find some answers soon.
Feel better....

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#328915 - 04/26/08 12:24 PM
JJIbeach

CarolynC-

Hi, thanks for responding. Yes, I am sure it is yeast; it has shown up in regular PAPs again and again... I haven't been on antibiotics much at all, but I have been taking an oral contraceptive for about 5 years. I have heard this may have an effect also because of the changing hormones, but if I get off these, I will more than likely go back to having heavy and painful periods, amongst other problems...

Ha ha. Yes, I did say I iron my underwear. Sorry - yeast bacteria can live on surfaces even after washing. The heat kills it though. So I'd run the risk of getting re-infected if I didn't... I know, I know, these are some pretty involved and peculiar precautions. A lot like having IBS.

I am beginning to think that yeast may be the cause for my fatigue and constant body pain... I have read that candida (yeast bacteria) can overpopulate in the intestinal tract and other body tissues as well... !?

Thank you and best!

--------------------
school in Kingston, RI

IBS-C, abdominal pain, gas, bloating, cramping; acid reflux; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome; chronic headaches

"Suffering arises ... whenever we resist the flow of life and try to cling to fixed forms..., whether they are things, events, people, or ideas."

#328928 - 04/26/08 05:45 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yup, yeast is systemic...it can become a host anywhere in your body, all except teeth, I think I heard. I'm thinking your b.control pills may be contributing to your yeast infections. And you are right, yeast can cause more symptoms than just your typical "yeast infection". Fungus can burrow through your intestinal wall, cause inflammation in your joints, fatigue, brain fogginess, high cholesterol, diabetes, sinus infections, has been implicated in cancer, change DNA structure in your cells, and the list goes on. You may wish to experiment with an anti-fungal diet. Chances are, you'll begin to feel much better. And, it only takes one dose of antibiotics for yeast overgrowth to occur, even if it was way back when you were a kid. Antibiotics are fungal poisons. They kill everything, good and bad.

Are you taking any probiotics at the moment? They may be a starting point for you, to put the good bacteria back into your gut, and squeeze out the yeast. There are natural antifungals as well, if your doctor won't prescribe nystatin or diflucan, prescription antifungals.

For me, following an antifungal diet helped me get rid of my IBS symptoms. I avoid yeast when I can, and moderate my intake of processed sugar and grains. Yeast/fungus loves sugar/grains.

#329179 - 04/30/08 09:58 PM
lauraads

Reged: 04/20/08

Those of you who are prone to yeast, what do you eat? Reading Heather's info, we have to put those grains and yeast-loving foods as the basis of every meal. I had not had yeast infection symptoms in probably 5 years even when I took antibiotics and I am in the worst one of my life after trying to follow the diet for three weeks. Diflucan pill is not even working. But, I don't get how to follow this diet and stay yeast-free...?

--------------------
Laura D in FL

Interstitial Cystitis diagnosed 1995 and IBS diagnosed 2008

www.art4ic.com

#329214 - 05/01/08 03:38 PM
kim123

I eat lots of meat/fish/poultry, fresh cooked veggies, homemade soups/stews, some raw veggies, yogurt, limited grains/cereals, including flax/millet yeast-free bread. Since I started limiting yeast and processed sugar, I have never had a hint of a yeast problem.I used to get them all the time. Maybe for a few days, stop eating completely any processed sugar, grains, yeast and see if you start feeling better... in other words, anything that comes in a can/box/bag. You need to starve the yeast.

#329222 - 05/01/08 08:43 PM
lauraads

Reged: 04/20/08

I am sorry to be lame as I am new to all this. How do you do that and still put a soluble fiber as the basis of every meal? The only thing I can think of that fits soluble fiber but doesn't come in a box, bag, or can is sweet potato... But that would be a carb. I ended up with this whole IBS diagnosis because I cut out processed foods and ate fresh fruit, cooked and raw veggies, lean proteins, no-sugar granola, and nuts. I am quite worried that if I cut out the carby foods that Heather says to make the basis of every meal that my IBS-C and IBS-D will come back with a vengeance. Of course, I am not at all happy to have this yeast bomb but don't want the other either.

Is there any happy medium for us?? Thanks!

--------------------
Laura D in FL

Interstitial Cystitis diagnosed 1995 and IBS diagnosed 2008

www.art4ic.com

#329252 - 05/02/08 02:37 PM
kim123

Can you eat brown rice, oatmeal, peas, beans, berries? Sweet potatoes are OK. I also take psyllium husk caps daily. They have really helped me. You don't have to stay off the yeast/processed sugar/starchy foods forever, but you may wish to limit your intake of them until you get a handle on your yeast problem. Are you still taking Diflucan? If you don't like prescription antifungals, there are natural antifungals that work well. Everyone is different, and you have to do what works best for you.

Two recommendations from my Nurse Practitioner new
      #329260 - 05/02/08 10:12 PM
MadelineNY

Reged: 05/02/08

Hi Jaylyn and other women in this thread,

I am going to list two home remedies given by my nurse practitioner.

This first one works for Yeast or for Bacterial Vaginosis, which can have similar symptoms. It is great if standard medicines have deliterious effects (For instance, the Flagyl they gave me for the BV gave me a horrendous yeast infection, and didn't cure the BV!).

The recipe is this: Step 1: Take a clove of garlic, peel it very carefully so that you don't nick the clove. Insert in the vagina. Remove after 12 hours and replace with a new one; repeat for three days. Step 2: The garlic should be followed by some plain yogurt inserted in the vagina (however you can manage this!) at bedtime for three consecutive nights. The point is that the garlic is a potent but gentle antibiotic/antifungal, but once you have killed the hostile flora, you want to replace them with the proper flora, which the yogurt will accomplish. That is why they should be done in succession, and it is important to stick with this remedy for the entire six days. It might take two tries.

I am going to mention another remedy, because, Jaylyn, it sounds like this might not be yeast. (If you are SURE it is yeast, go ahead and try the last one.) However, if it feels much like yeast, but without the curdled discharge, and if the symptoms improve when your period arrives, it could be an overgrowth of the "proper" vaginal flora. I forgot the name for this. Menstuation improves it because the overgrowth is very acidic (which is why it burns), and menstural blood is very alkaline. Anyhow, the irritation feels similar to a yeast infection. The way to treat this is to douche with a pint of water with 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda dissolved in it. This last thing happens, ironically, often to women who shower too much or are too stringent about cleaning.

Of course this doesn't take the place of a proper diagnosis. But if you KNOW what the problem is, one of these remedies might come in handy.

I hope some of this helps and you feel better soon!

Re: Two recommendations from my Nurse Practitioner new
      #329292 - 05/04/08 07:02 AM
kim123

Very interesting. I guess it doesn't hurt to try it. At least it will keep the vampires away If the yeast/fungus is a systemic problem, however, it may only serve as a temporary fix. If yeast/fungus thrives on sugar and grains, and you keep eating them, I can't see how you'll get the results you want.

#329295 - 05/04/08 07:49 AM
MadelineNY

Reged: 05/02/08

Hi Kim,

That's definitely an issue. However, systemic yeast is extremely rare, and almost entirely limited to those who have severely depressed immune systems, caused by AIDs or cancer. It's not something most of us have to worry about, I think.

Still, the starchy diet might contine to cause yeast infections even for a woman without systemic candida... I wish I knew a failsafe prevention for that!

Best wishes,

Madeline

#329322 - 05/04/08 02:43 PM
kim123

I don't agree that systemic yeast infections are rare. Systemic yeast infections "can" be the cause of many health problems, such as arthritis, gout, FM, IBD/IBS, depression, acid reflux, high cholesterol, and the list goes on. Fungus/yeast overgrowth can do more than just cause a typical "yeast infection". There are many different fungi you can get from foods, antibiotics, as well as from your env't. These fungi can release over 100 different different mycotoxins (fungi by-products/poisons)into the body and affect different parts of the body. Interestingly, some people with these health issues and have tried an antifungal diet have many times had their symptoms lesson, or even disappear. It's hard to know what to do on an individual basis, but I'm inclined to believe that if your symptoms don't go away after trying everthing else...think fungus. At least it was for me. Best to you too..
Kim

#329452 - 05/06/08 04:36 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I haven't had a yeast infection since I started taking jarrowdophilus. That's been 4 yrs now.

#329769 - 05/14/08 01:25 PM
JJIbeach

Hi Amy1973 and other ladies,

Could you tell me any more about jarrowdophilus? I am taking acidophilus now, with the highest live culture count I can find (I think this one claims to have 10 billion or something like that). Had you tried acidophilus before? If you don't mind, were you having recurring problems before this? Any information would be excellent!

Just saw my OBGYN today and she told me to get capsules with BORIC ACID! Yikes. Thank you to everybody else with the wise and useful suggestions!

Best

--------------------
school in Kingston, RI

#330500 - 06/02/08 12:13 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Wow! i'm going through the same thing right now!!I went on the pill in November to help with BAAAADDDD cramps and since then I've had problems.

I don't think it's yeast because I don't have the discharge or smell just itching but not everyday. Then it's sorta raw but not everywhere. Sex is painful. i use bag balm(for cows chapped udders) It's natural and helps alot to clear it up but the next time my hubby wants mmhmm...I'm back at square one!!

I think i may be allergic to him. Does that mean I get a new one?

Can anyone help? I can't find any useful info on the internet and I don't want to go to the docs if I can help it!!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#330504 - 06/02/08 03:13 PM
kim123

Did you know yeast infections can be transferred between partners? Maybe you really are "allergic" to him. Does he drink beer, eat a lot of yeasty food? Doesn't mean he has a yeast problem, but if he has a lot of yeast in his body, that may or may nort be a problem for you.

#330860 - 06/09/08 07:19 PM
JJIbeach

Damn, I feel ya on the discomfort... it's excruciating. But, if it's not yeast, I don't know how to help... ? I've just garnered a lot of information on yeast infections. This site has been helpful: https://www.msu.edu/~eisthen/yeast/

You may have to see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis.

In other news, as an update, I have been using Boric Acid capsules intravaginally for the past month and have been yeast-free ever since. If you have no luck with anything else, mention this to your OB GYN and all you have to do is find a pharmacy that will compound boric acid into capsules and insert one at bed-time... works very well. The only bad thing is that insurance (obviously) does not cover it and the capsules cost a dollar a piece, I believe.

Best of luck ladies!

--------------------
school in Kingston, RI

#330997 - 06/12/08 05:27 AM
alyssum

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: Ohio

When I was close to your age, I had similar symptoms. Usually about a day or so after I finished my period. Some times right at the very end of it.

I was allergic to dri-weave and its counterparts. By "wicking" away moisture it was irritating my most sensitive areas to no end. WOuldn't you know, when I switched to a different type . . . the problem went away. I still get one on occasion . . . but not that every month deal.
The problem now, is MOST brands have switched to a dri-lock/dri-weave type of outer layer. My OBGYN had me find the cotton-y outerlayer types.

Problem was, it took her a while to figure out what was going on. As if I let the irritataion go on long enough, prior to seeing her. I would develop a secondary yeast infection!
FWIW!

--------------------
"Learn to write your hurts in the sand and your benefits in stone . . ."
IBS-A, predominantly D, Gas & bloating.
Chronic Migraines

#330998 - 06/12/08 05:37 AM
alyssum

That's very similar to how I came about being diagnosed. I was on a "whole Foods Diet", my only grains were whole grain bread, cooked whole grains, etc. All that insoluble fiber, minus a lose-dose tri-cyclic anti-depressant I'd been on for chronic pain (I stopped it 3 to 6 weeks before my symptoms became intolerable), was a recipe for disaster. Of course it took me months, research and finding this website to figure out my healthy diet was making me unhealthy.
Sheesh!

--------------------
Chronic Migraines

#331000 - 06/12/08 05:41 AM
alyssum

AND, guys can get yeast infections down below after being on anti-biotics as well . . .
There is a happy medium. You just have to find what works for you.
Some ladies are sensitive to certain lubricants. These sensitivies can trigger yeast infections as well. There are a few brands that are paraben free, phthalate free, etc. PM me if you need details.

--------------------
Chronic Migraines

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review