All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New here..would love some help
      #328566 - 04/21/08 06:27 AM
beachgirl72

Reged: 04/21/08

Hi everyone. I have been having stomach issues for a few months now and I am trying to figure out if it's ibs or not. From everything I am reading it seems to fit. Starting back in January I was driving to a doctor's appt. and I had to stop at least twice during a 30 minute drive to go to the bathroom..had awful stomach cramps and felt like I wasn't going to make it to a restroom both times. When I got to the appointment I went again in their bathroom. Awful! Since then every time I drive somewhere I have to stop and go to the bathroom. It's getting to the point where my family and I can't go to a park that is 20 minutes from home without stopping for me to go several times. So I am thinking it could be that it's in my head and all stems from the January trip to the doctor..However even on days when I am home or at work(which is only minutes from my house) I am going to the bathroom 3-4 times in the morning sometimes. I often feel nauseous too when this is all happening. It's such an awful way to live..afraid to go anywhere for fear you won't make it to a bathroom. And the worst part is my husband doesn't understand and it's hard to talk to friends about all this.
I just want to add that I was really constipated last year most of the time as I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Now that my tsh level is back to normal this is what i am dealing with.
Sorry if I am rambling here but I just really need some help and advice.
Any suggestions??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here..would love some help new
      #328588 - 04/21/08 10:23 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

What diagnostics has your doctor done to rule out more serious problems than IBS??

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#328592 - 04/21/08 11:36 AM
beachgirl72

I have a doctor's appointment on April 30th to discuss all of this. Anything specific I should be asking?? I have just been hoping it would go away but seems to be getting worse. Today I have had at least 5 bm and have been very crampy all day. Tomorrow I may be fine. I just never know.
Thanks.

#328628 - 04/22/08 05:26 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

OK, you are where I was 18 mos. ago. My internist ordered an abdominal ultrasound, blood work and checked my stool for parasites, bacteria, etc. All were negative. Then it was off to the Gastro guy. I was losing weight at about 4 or 5 pounds a week so he scheduled a colonoscopy very quickly. I had two polyps (which he removed) and a very spastic descending colon (I even have pictures). He then ordered an abdominal and pelvic CT scan because of the rapid weight loss. Those showed some cysts in my liver and one in a kidney but I was told that was no problem. Ultimate diagnosis was spastic colon or IBS. The GI guy suggested fiber twice a day (he said Metamucil but it gives my waaaay too much gas) and a good probiotic (he suggested Align GI and I agree it is a good choice and still use it). Mainly though he told me "not the think about my bowels" so much. That isn't easy when you are in a constant bathroom search. I found this website shortly thereafter, ordered Heather's books, Acacia, Peppermint Tea and Fennel Tea. I found whole foods stores and organic markets close to me. I threw out about 3/4 of my pantry and freezer and began a new way of living. I haven't gained any weight back but I am so much better. I have an occasional attack but I no longer have to plan what I do around bathroom availability. If I feel an attack coming on I have developed methods for shortening the attack or even stopping it all together (Imodium is wonderful). I am D and never have been C, but with the diet and fiber I have become stable with one BM per day that is normal consistency. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#328960 - 04/27/08 10:23 AM
beachgirl72

Thanks for all the info Barbara! I will keep you posted. I am really having big anxiety issues along with this and I know that is not helping. It's just so hard when you constantly think you have to be near a bathroom. Hopefully my doctor will be able to help too! One thing I know I need to stay away from is ice cream...have to practically live in the bathroom the next day if I eat it at night. Again, thanks and I am so glad to have found you guys!

#328963 - 04/27/08 11:16 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I just wanted to say.....I know exactly what you mean about being afraid to leave the house for fear of not making it to the bathroom. My doctor just recently put me on Lexapro for the anxiety. I'm posting a daily diary about whether it helps or not. Check it out if you are interested. Today is day three and so far so good.

#328965 - 04/27/08 11:31 AM
beachgirl72

thanks. It sometimes feels good to know I am not alone. I have tried antidepressants years ago and most of them aggravated my stomach. I am definitely thinking of trying again because the anxiety of all this is so bad right now. Maybe try xanax first.

#328987 - 04/27/08 02:40 PM
Nugget

I know how you feel. I've been on antidepressants/antianxiety drugs in the past, too. I was so happy when I successfully stayed off them for almost 2 years. Then everything just became too much and I couldn't enjoy my life any longer...that's when I decided enough was enough and I needed something....even just temporarily.....so my doctor tried me on Buspar, but it didn't seem to help...so Friday, I started Lexapro. So far I'm not experiencing any horrible side effects. Just a little nausea and dizziness the first night...but nothing unbearable. You might check into it. Plus....if you are IBS-D like me...one of the side effects is constipation! Ha!

#329060 - 04/28/08 05:46 PM
beachgirl72

I am definitely heading towards enough is enough here too. Wow sounds like what I need if constipation is a side effect..haven't experienced that since my thyroid was out of whack. Glad Lexapro is working for you! Had to change my doc appt. until Friday. Crossing my fingers she will listen and not rush me out of there like docs tend to do sometimes!

#329088 - 04/29/08 10:35 AM
Nugget

Good luck with your Doc appointment. If you feel like she doesn't listen and is in a rush...don't be afraid to go elsewhere until you find a good one.

I think the Lexapro is helping some. I don't want to get my hopes up too soon, though...it's only been a few days. Today I am home sick with a horrible cold, though.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6209

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review