All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Job Opening
      #328250 - 04/14/08 02:22 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I currently work for an optometrist but have not been real happy with my boss for a long while now and just found out that a chiropractor's office, not a mile from my house, has an opening. I am so tempted to apply but just not sure I am strong enough yet.

I started remicaid infusions 6 weeks ago and have had three. They do seem to be helping but I did just have a nasty flare of my sarcoidosis and had to do steroids for a week just to get by. My pulmonologist seems to think that within 6 months, I will be greatly improved.

I still struggle with fatigue and brain fog, which would make learning something new more difficult. My current job is pretty cushy, I must admit. The doc I work for owns 2 other offices and is only here 14 hours a week, I currently work M-F 10-6. The time the doc is not in, I have to field phone calls, people with walk in prescriptions, people picking up there glasses/contacts, doing adjustments and repairs. But, mostly, its slow and I spend time on the computer, reading or making jewelry.

The downside is that I am the only person besides the doc so calling in sick is not an option and getting any time off is very difficult. He still feels that after 9 years that I should only get one week sick and one week vacation. I do make top end of the pay scale for my current job in the area and don't usually work too hard but haven't had a raise or bonus or anything in almost 5 years.

The doc I currently work for is not a very nice person either. We get along ok but he is narcissistic butthole and a bigot which is odd because he is Jewish. He says hurtful things and doesn't even realize they are mean, things like "what happened, you used to be so thin and pretty." After being very sick for over 3 years and steroids, you would gain some weight too [censored]! He is NEVER sick, doesn't even catch a cold or anything so can not in the slightest comprehend having a chronic illness. I could go on and on about all the mean things he says and does but suffice it to say, he just isn't a nice person.

I have been in optical for 19 years, before that, I worked as a pharmacy tech. I do not have a college degree but am more than qualified for the position that is open. I could walk there on a good day. Will has been there to get his back adjusted and says everyone seems nice. Apparently, one of the two woman doctors brings her two dogs to work! That probably means that I wouldn't be able to bring my two as well, which is another plus to my current job, I get to bring my dogs to work!

I currently drive 30 minutes each way so being so close to work would be a very nice change. I am used to working alone most of the time so I would have to get used to being around and working with other people again. That could be good or that could be bad.

I wish this opening would come along in a few months from now to see how well I am going to respond to the remicaid but in this economy, jobs don't come by often and this one seems like a good fit for me.

I just don't know if I can physically handle working a "real" 40 hours a week. They are also open on Saturdays but as long as I get another day off during the week, I guess there is no reason why I can't work on Saturdays. I would hope it wouldn't be every Saturday but....I am tempted to apply and at least check it out but what if I leave my job just to find I can't keep up?????? We need my check so not working isn't an option. If only I had a crystal ball and could see how I am going to feel in another month or two after a few more infusions. Any advice??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Job Opening new
      #328256 - 04/14/08 02:45 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Michele,

Applying for a job and even interviewing is not a commitment that you have to take it. If it were me, I would apply and be frank about your current situation in the interview and see what they say.

Every job has its pros and cons, and the relatively light workload of yours has been a godsend with the health issues you've had. The lack of sick leave stinks, but a very demanding job would put a lot more strain on you.

Still, I think it's worth going in and talking to the employers and seeing what they say! Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#328259 - 04/14/08 03:20 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Your boss and my boss should get together and go golfing! Seriously, 1 WEEK of vacation time after 9 years? At least we have labour laws here that take care of these things for us. Any employee is guaranteed 2 weeks after 1 year, 3 weeks after 5 years, and 4 weeks after 10. Does your state have any laws to protect its employees like this?

Anyway, as for the other job, I say there is no harm in applying. It gives you more time to really think it over. I did that once - I apllied for a job, and by the time they actually called me for an interview, I politely thanked them and told them that I was no longer interested. There's no harm in that.

If worst comes to worst, you could flip a coin. I know that sounds insane, but it really does help. Say you call heads, you'll apply for the job, and the coin lands on tails. If you feel disappointed, you'll know how you really feel.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#328270 - 04/14/08 05:53 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Go for it Michele - what's the worst that could happen?

I saw you deserve a change and a raise!! Only 1 sick and 1 vacation week - yikes! Sounds like my old hellish job. No vacation, no sick time. And 5 years without a raise is inhumaine. Hasn't he ever heard of cost of living increase?

You're smart and tough as nails. I'm sure if you get the job you would make it work. But FYI, I interviewed at several chiro offices and the payscale did not match my expectations.

Good luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#328273 - 04/14/08 07:14 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I agree that you might as well apply. How about this scenario - you get offered the job. BUT then you use it as a bargaining chip with your current employer for a raise/vacation/sick day increase! Then you can decide between two better options than your current situation. You never know!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: Thanks everyone new
      #328281 - 04/15/08 08:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Will and I had talked it over and agreed with everything said and I was going to apply. Than, I just checked out there web site and the hours are only 30 hours a week. It would be great for my health issues as its M-F 10-12:30 than 3-6, with it being 1 mile from my house, I could go home and nap if needed! Than 9-12 on Saturday. But, we just can not afford to lose 10 hours of my pay a week right now. I feel a little disappointed but I guess it wasn't met to be.

In the US, I am not aware of any laws governing vacation/sick leave. Its at the employers discretion. After 9 years, getting one week of each is terrible and I have no other benefits other than paid holidays, I have no retirement or anything like that. I actually looked back at my check stubs and its been SEVEN years since I have gotten a raise. He says he can not afford it although he has recently bought a time share in Mexico and a condo in Chicago!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Thanks everyone new
      #328335 - 04/16/08 12:02 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Sorry it didn't work out, but it sounds like it's definitely time to start looking for a new job. No raise in seven years? That insane. Even when I worked for a very small non profit, I got a (small) annual raise. Good luck!

#329310 - 05/04/08 11:18 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

If your unhappy with you current job, I say go for it. You'll never know if you don't try!

Your job sounds alot like my old job. I was unhappy & hadn'thad a raise in 5 years. I finally got a new job when they closed my dept.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review